Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Agency Power Exhaust System from Vivid Racing after seeing it advertised and discussed here on the forums. I have 987.2, a representative from vivid stated it fits this car, http://www.planet-9.com/site-vendor...ower-exhaust-tuning-package-3.html#post417565

Turns out it does not, fitment is different for Gen I and Gen II cars. I contacted Agency Power and received confirmation about this from a rep named Matt Jobin, "We have not installed one of these on a 987.2. This is designed to fit the first Gen 987"

I had the exhaust professionally installed and the installer modified the exhaust for fitment (shortened the pipe leading into the resonator) This of course makes my problems with the product more complex. The installer made the fitment without my knowledge, however the product should have never required specialized fitment. My complaints:
1) The exhaust has signifiant drone and reverberation, it is not fine for daily driving as stated by Vivid. (I know sound is subjective so no need to harp on this issue)
2) Additional cost I incurred for installation, an additional 1.5 hours of shop labor time.

I contacted Dan Mermelstein from Vivid who was very unhelpful and shrugged the issue off, stating I received a discount on the exhaust already (apparently discounts mean no customer service) and that the exhaust is modified and no longer his problem. I feel it is his problem as their sales rep stated it fits Gen II cars when in fact it does not. The exhaust was miss advertised and therefore certainly his problem.

Further research shows that Vivid Racing and Agency Power are the same company. Under no circumstance should this exhaust have been sold to a 987.2 owner when Agency Power had never even tested the product on it. I am very displeased with the customer service and how the issue has been handled by both companies.

I would recommend anyone considering purchasing from Vivid Racing make your decision carefully as they will not provide you acceptable service if you have issues with their products.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It does sound as if you are caught in the middle. First mistake - Vivid. Second mistake your installer. I believe Vivid should step up as well as your installer. I have purchased from Vivid in the past. How this turns out will sway future purchases.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Unfortuately, you're in a tough spot. I can see where Vivid should not have sold you the exhaust BUT I can see where they would not take it back or reimburse you because now the exhaust has been modified. Personally, I'd be more upset with the installer for not telling you before making any modifications and on top of that charging you extra for the labor.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
-Moto

·
Registered
406 Posts
If anyone would like to see the email correspondence, let me know. This is another 1 sided story of a person who is mad.

Before YOU MODIFIED the exhaust to fit, we told you that you could return it for a refund since it did not fit the 997.2. Since you opted to mod it and then it fit fine (cutting 2 inch of stainless steel out of 1 side), you are now pissed cause you think it is to loud.

So if you want us to pay for your modifications, that wont happen. Does Best Buy pay for your viruses to be fixed on your laptop you bought there?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I recommended the following solution:

1) See if the shop will remove the exhaust free of charge and reinstall your factory exhaust, this gets you out of any labor costs to at least get back to where you were, you might want to push a little harder and ask them for free or discounted install on a future exhaust but honestly I'd probably go elsewhere if a shop did this to me in the first place.

2) If you can get them to take it off, try selling the exhaust in our classifieds. People do it all the time, they buy an exhaust, decide they don't like the sound and sell it to another member who loves the sound. Be prepared to take a hit though in terms of what you will get for a used exhaust vs. a new one. You could, of course, advertise it as the ONLY Agency Power exhaust modified to fit a Gen 2 car and sell it to another Gen 2 owner.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Your right everyone should see the email correspondence so you can't say you told me something you didn't.

Conversation with Matt Jobin from Agency Power
Conversation with Agency Power

Conversation with Dan Mermelstein from Vivid Racing
Conversation with Vivid Racing

As anyone can see you never made any attempt to apologize for the mix-up or make any offer to remedy the situation. On top of that you state even if the exhaust was not modified I would be charged a restocking fee! Your mistake and I'm to eat your restocking fee?

Edit to add:
Dan has stated I called and discussed this issue, I never called them other than to provide the credit card number. How many Gen II customers did you sell this exhaust to that you can't even track who you talked to?

If anyone would like to see the email correspondence, let me know. This is another 1 sided story of a person who is mad.

Before YOU MODIFIED the exhaust to fit, we told you that you could return it for a refund since it did not fit the 997.2. Since you opted to mod it and then it fit fine (cutting 2 inch of stainless steel out of 1 side), you are now pissed cause you think it is to loud.

So if you want us to pay for your modifications, that wont happen. Does Best Buy pay for your viruses to be fixed on your laptop you bought there?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
trunkmonkey,

Your own emails show that you had the exhaust modified BEFORE you contacted Vivid or Agency Power in email, by the time you contacted them your system was used and unable to be returned in the fashion in which you bought it.

Since I've asked for you guys to take this up between yourselves I am going to close this topic thread but leave the links intact so our members can read for themselves the information involved and come to their own conclusions about what, if anything, they can gain from your experience.

My recommendation would be to gain the following:

1) The knowledge that this system doesn't fit GEN 2 cars without modification
2) If you are going to modify you can't return it.
3) Clear communication BEFORE any decision is made is necessary and should be documented.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.