Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys !
Just ordered my APE exhaust ! :banana: Let me know any advices on what should I be more concerned on the install and any other advice you guys can give me.

Thanks,
Ricky

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm sure you've seen my thread on my APE experience. Here's my advice:

To those who are going to install:

1. Buy the proper tools to loosen the triangular flange bolts on the catalytic converters. I ended up breaking 2 of these and it was a ROYAL PAIN having to replace them via grinding them out!!!

Note: If you do end up breaking the bolts, view this thread:

Need help.. Broken header stud..

I ended up removing the header (for better access) and using a dremel and a metal cutting attachment to cut out the welded bolt in place. It is tack welded in 3 spots and I thought by simply cutting the small welds, the entire bolt and head would come loose. This was not the case since the bolt seems to have been machine pressed on the flange or welded in place. If you break the bolt you can either drill out the bolt (laborious) and break some drill bits or ended up having to cut/grind the entire bolt+head out (laborious). Both are a pain, so be careful!

2. When doing the install, loosen up the muffler hangers so you can wiggle that around when putting the system in. Things will line up and fit much easier.

3. Grab a friend, makes putting the system in as one piece much easier with an extra set of hands for support.

I also opted to purchase a new set of triangular gaskets that go between the cats and the pipe to the muffler since my old ones were 38k miles old and already press sealed.

Exhuast Removal Article can be found here:

Factory Exhaust Removal - Articles

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I read you thread and it was the one that sealed my decision ! Thanks for everything.

I will receive it next week when I make the install I will let you know how all went.
Thanks again,
Ricky

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am installing my AP exhaust on Monday...will let you know my thoughts once I get a few miles with it on....I am hoping it is everything Golfguy experienced....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well....after 1 day of having the AP exhaust on my car I must say I am impressed. Sound is good...not too loud at all at idle or low rpm...very good sound at WOT. Some drone at 2100 - 2600....not too bad though. I have not yet flashed the car...will do this is in a week or two. Even having just the exhaust, the car seems more responsive to me....or maybe I am just driving it differently because of the exhaust....either way....I am having fun with it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm glad you are enjoying your APE. And believe me when I say this that it will get even better! I honestly can't believe the sound from this thing... friends describe it now as "the sexiest sound I've ever heard from a car." I thought some magical gnomes crawled in my exhaust while I had it stored for a few weeks, the exhaust sound is just unbelievable. I will also note that it has definitely gotten a bit louder in the cabin since my first week of ownership. I'm glad I could help you with your decision. Enjoy!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The APE just arrived everything is great. I'm making the install in a few hours. Let you guys know how it went and how much I like it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys so I made the install and was a bit tricky loosening the flange bolts, thank God none broke, then the T that connects the tips with the mufflers was a pain putting them together. The whole thing took me a bit more than 2 hours.

I thought the exhaust was going to sound louder but I love how it sounds and I didn't experienced any drone. Maybe just a little like Poults said but it doesn't bother me at all. I'm VERY happy with the system.

Thanks all for your help !
Ricky

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just installed the DREAM1 connector, replacing the stock 'T.' Went well, tho' I was slow and careful. I'm now thinking of the APE and maybe the tips as well.

Installing the DREAM1 gave me a feeling of confidence I can do the APE install myself. Any issues I should be aware of? Looks like I'll need a second jack or at least a jack stand since I'll have to take both wheels off.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
. . . Installing the DREAM1 gave me a feeling of confidence I can do the APE install myself. Any issues I should be aware of? Looks like I'll need a second jack or at least a jack stand since I'll have to take both wheels off.
I assume you undid at least one side of your exhaust to install the DREAM1 - installing the cat back isn't much more work than that. Just be sure to soak you header flange bolts well with some PB Blaster or similar (I soaked mine overnight) so you don't break a stud off. If the old bolts are rusty, I would replace them with new ones also.

You should definitely being doing this on jackstands at a minimum. Do not trust your life to jacks alone. If I am going under the car, I block the front wheels, use the jack as a back-up to the stands, and I also slide the rear wheels under the chassis frame as well for added safety. Being crushed by a car (even my beloved Cayman) is not the way I'd want to go. :eek:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I assume you undid at least one side of your exhaust to install the DREAM1 - installing the cat back isn't much more work than that. Just be sure to soak you header flange bolts well with some PB Blaster or similar (I soaked mine overnight) so you don't break a stud off. If the old bolts are rusty, I would replace them with new ones also.

You should definitely being doing this on jackstands at a minimum. Do not trust your life to jacks alone. If I am going under the car, I block the front wheels, use the jack as a back-up to the stands, and I also slide the rear wheels under the chassis frame as well for added safety. Being crushed by a car (even my beloved Cayman) is not the way I'd want to go. :eek:
Exactly! First I backed the car up on ramps and put good chocks under the front wheels. When I jacked car up to remove the right wheel, I put supports under it , just in case. The nuts on the flange bolts came off easily after a quick soak in WD40. Guess I just got lucky.

When installing the APE, is there something that takes the place of the 7" support rings that hold the muffler? Or are they held just by the flange and the connection to the Y-connector?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts