Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Agency power short shift kit

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  mitch48 
#1 ·
I just heard about this short shift kit from agency power. Has anyone installed this in their cars? According to the description, this is a reduction in the throw, not the height of the stick. That is exactly what I'm looking for. So I'm interested to hear from anyone here who has this installed.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Not saying anything disparaging about Agency Power, B&M or any of the other proper manufacturers of quality parts. In most cases, it is a "You get what you pay for" world, and I am sure that these manufacturers take good care of their customers, and employing US workers is a good thing.

I am frugal as all hell, though, being programmed by demented post-Depression parents. I can't resist trying to get the best deal on everything. It's a sickness, and I am embarrassed.

That said, having just installed one of the $50 Ebay SSK kits, it looks functionally identical. CNC milled 6000 aluminum casing and bearing journals, steel lever mechanism, solid adjustable fulcrum bolt. I got a totally workable, better than OEM SSK for $50. Zero slop. Zero vendor support, either, but none was needed. Just another option. That extra $250 pays for the inevitable headliner replacement we face. YMMV.

#7 ·
I got one for my 987 CS several years ago, had to mill the bushings some to get them to fit, I was not very happy with it even after getting it installed. I ended up buying a Porsche SSK instead, much better IMO. YMMV, and I certainly understand where Boulder_Geek is coming from, I'm exactly the same way. BTW, "Short Shift Kit" is supposed to mean shorther THROWS and not a shorter height of the lever/knob. Lately it has come to mean this for some, but going way back to the SSK I installed in my E30 BMW (best shifting manual I've ever had), it meant shorter throws. The height of the knob is secondary.

I know some of the most recent Porsche SSK's give both shorter throws and shorter height, and that's fine, but the original definition was the throw length.

#8 ·
Huh, that's interesting. Thanks for telling your experience, @mitch48.

I definitely feel that my fleabay special isn't of the same caliber as the full Numeric kit. But, it isn't $600+ either. Numeric definitely feels better. FWIW, I didn't mill the bushings, I froze the aluminum and used a curved mill bastard file to smooth the OEM housing, then pounded the bushings in. It was hard, but it is solid and feels OK to me. The Numeric cables give the majority of the feel change, I think.

But with the $50 I spent, it feels better and shorter in throw, more adjustable, than OEM generic shifter. I haven't run a Porsche SSK to judge the difference.

With Numeric Cup cables, I am in for $500 altogether. It would be $1100 at full retail for the full Numeric kit. If I could spend that without fretting the cost, it would be a better solution, no doubts.

#9 ·
#10 ·
After my OE cable broke for the second time I went with Numeric, cables only. Combined with the Porsche SSK it was an improvement and while notchy it was very positive. Cost was almost the same as the stock cables and I installed them myself so it was a win. Happened one week after I'd replaced my clutch, btw, so I was accustomed to working under that end of the car by then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.