Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide me with guidance on the 4 year airbag replacement requirement?
I have a 2006 CS with almost 120,000k/75,000m. I have noticed the sticker in the inside of the passenger doorwell requiring the airbags to be replaced at 4 and 8 years. I have owned a number of cars with airbags well past 7 or 8 years and never encountered a recommendation to replace an airbag, let alone a requirement.
Being a risk-averse person, I will replace the airbags (at what cost? gulp) if there is no reasonable reassurance that the requirement is an unwarranted one. As you can see, I put alot of travel time in the CS. And love it, all 4 seasons.
Perhaps a Boxster member, with a longer vehicle experience, has come upon this issue and resolved it favourably.
All thoughts are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
In the US, and I believe the rest of the world, the safety, and pollution equipment needs to work for a minimum of 10 years. The inspections are an additional precaution.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Air Bag 4 ....read on....I think differently

Hey, I thought safety equipment was warrantied for the "life of the car".
I have a 1991 CRX which had a drivers seatbelt hanging up and the dealer replaced it ($350.00+) for no charge and that was a couple of months ago. I think safety equipment by law must work for the life of the car....and as long as it is driveable the company has to maintain the safety equipment.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Re: Air Bag 4 ....read on....I think differently

Wow! Not to go off topic but the fact that you still have a CRX is impressive. I had one way back when and loved it.

Back on topic, I'm not 100% sure but I thought Honda (I know, it's not a Porsche), at one time, recommended replacing air bags every 10 years.

-Moto
I have a 1991 CRX

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,774 Posts
I have a 2005 Boxster S with 60K miles. Just finished my 60K Major Maintenance and it lists "After 4, 8, 10, then every 2 years, inspect airbag system".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.