Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
My aircon compressor clutch is not clicking on. Pressure is good.

in the durametric I see where it says "intake temp" under AIR CON, and its reading -40. What is that referring to? its not the engine intake temp as a verified that. I am assuming that is where the fault lies.

And there are no fault codes in AIR CON in the durametric.

This is a heavily modified car. Probably didn't hook whatever the air con section is calling "intake temp" up properly, or damaged it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I don't know what the 987 is like but on the 981 the electrical diagrams show a sensor labeled "Intake Air Sensor" and it is located on the HVAC Blower Housing.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
is your external temp sensor working well? the one that displays in the dash.
if its not check that its plugged in correctly first. the sensor is in front bumper IIRC.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Two points:

1. You'll never hear a clutch on the compressor, because it doesn't have one. It uses a variable swash plate design where the displacement of the compressor is controlled electronically (by the HVAC computer). No clutch. It's much more efficient since the compressor can be tuned to exactly how much cooling is needed.

2. If it's like other Porsches - if the HVAC temperature sensors aren't working (the -40 is a big clue) the AC won't turn on. So as was suggested - worth checking all of the sensors. Duramentric may be able to give you those values, I know iCarScan X431 can. There are typically and exterior temperature sensor, an evaporator temperature sensor, a HVAC output temperature sensor, and an interior cabin sensor.

Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, this is a 2007 987.1

I bet the HVAC "intake air" temp sensor in the dash is what I am seeing as -40C. I must have not gotten that hooked back up. In the durametric it just says "intake air temp".. Ill check it out! i was 99% sure that was causing my problem, but the durametric doesn't give me a clue to what "intake air temp" is, other than I know its not engine related. heh.

I am running a Motec ECU and custom firmware on a AIM dash and I didn't bother with being able to read outside air temp, but I did hook that up.

FYI, The 987.1 (at least mine) does not seem to be a variable type as it has a digital out (weak pull up, ground for control). if its variable then THAT is internal to the compressor and it has a single wire controlling the clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts