Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 3rd Porsche and all the cars have had the same poor air con issue where the gas has leaked. In each case the actual leak has been extremely hard to find having passed and held a pressure test. The cars just end up getting re-gased once a year. It seems the only way to fix this issue is to replace the condensers and then the lines one by one by trial and error.

Bad show really. Any one else have this issue and have a better solution.

·
Registered
175 Posts
They will all leak a small amount over time. I have found through experience with any car A/C and not just Porsche that the best way to minimize this is to run the A/C fairly frequently no matter how cold it is outside. You don't have to run it long, maybe four or five minutes. This keeps the seals lubricated (the freon has a lubricant in it) so they don't dry out and then you have a major problem.

Reactions: racergreg

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is my 3rd Porsche and all the cars have had the same poor air con issue where the gas has leaked. In each case the actual leak has been extremely hard to find having passed and held a pressure test. The cars just end up getting re-gased once a year. It seems the only way to fix this issue is to replace the condensers and then the lines one by one by trial and error.

Bad show really. Any one else have this issue and have a better solution.
I have never experience it nor hear anyone I know talk about it specifically with Porsche cars. But from experiences with other car brands, this seems to be something that can happen with any brand.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Haven't had the problem with my Cayman in the 10 years I've owned it. And I've lived in Florida a few years now and I'd notice, believe me. It get's hotter than h_ll here in the summer. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
They will all leak a small amount over time. I have found through experience with any car A/C and not just Porsche that the best way to minimize this is to run the A/C fairly frequently no matter how cold it is outside. You don't have to run it long, maybe four or five minutes. This keeps the seals lubricated (the freon has a lubricant in it) so they don't dry out and then you have a major problem.
I thought (could be wrong) that modern cars ran A/C even when in heat mode, to reduce humidity and associated windshield condensation when defrosting.

BTW, I thought to diagnose a leak they filled with a freon that contained a dye. So the leak would be easier to spot - providing you can get to all those areas.

Reactions: wagzhp
1 - 5 of 5 Posts