Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Porsche says to use a 40,000 mile change interval on the air filter. I'm sure it has some life left in it, but it was too dirty to just put back. If you have 20K miles and haven't checked or changed it, I'd highly recommend you do just that. I dread this operation on the Boxster. :)

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I agree - I've been changing mine at 15k mile intervals, and they've looked pretty dirty each time.

brad

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I guess I better try to figure out how to do this. I net there is a DIY write up on this site somewhere. Search time.....

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And, BTW, look at the large number of folds in that filter media. Then compare it to any reusable filter. This element has an incredible amount of surface area. I've often wondered how the reusable guys could claim more flow or dirt capacity.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Must be the 12k mile bug,....as I too just replaced mine a few months ago and it looked about the same. Not filthy, but a bit dirty.

Porsche air filters have plenty of capacity even when a bit dirty. It wouldn't matter to me if a foam filter did make a couple more HP. All you have to do is look at the oil after running one for a few K miles and you will see a huge difference compared to running a paper filter.

I can't help but think how funny Porsche (and many other car companies) regard maintenance.

On one hand you have the core company marketing team striving for higher mileage maintenance intervals with resulting low costs of ownership,.....then you have the dealers who would like to sell you an oil change every 1k if they could.

I still fall back on the "I'll look at it and evaluate it myself thank you" method.....

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
40K miles is too long if you care about performance. 20K is what I do based on similiar experience.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Really dirty at 30k

Mine too was really dirty at 30k miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there a recommended site to get the OEM engine air replacement filter? After seeing "suncoast" references in tons of threads, I was surprised not to find it there. They have the cabin filter, not the engine intake filter. Same thing at Germanfilters.com. A simple search on the net and I found the Mahle filter for $40 at carpartsdiscount.com, just haven't seen that site recommended through any threads around here yet. Any other suggestions, better pricing, etc. please let me know! (and sorry if there is a thread somewhere else on where to buy, just learning my way around this site!)

Haven't specified in my signature yet: I have a 2007 CS, one-owner used car that I bought in Dec'09 with 22k miles and "perfect" condition... amazing!!

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a recommended site to get the OEM engine air replacement filter? After seeing "suncoast" references in tons of threads, I was surprised not to find it there. They have the cabin filter, not the engine intake filter. Same thing at Germanfilters.com. A simple search on the net and I found the Mahle filter for $40 at carpartsdiscount.com, just haven't seen that site recommended through any threads around here yet. Any other suggestions, better pricing, etc. please let me know! (and sorry if there is a thread somewhere else on where to buy, just learning my way around this site!)

Haven't specified in my signature yet: I have a 2007 CS, one-owner used car that I bought in Dec'09 with 22k miles and "perfect" condition... amazing!!
Suncoast carries it. It's called the "air intake filter". They just have the 986 filter pictured. Pelican Parts carries them from Mahle too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks... I assumed they had a bad link with the square filter, but missed the 986 reference. Ugh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd also like to ask about the cabin-air filter. That filter is $60 on Suncoast vs. $27 at germanfilters. Both are the activated charcoal type... please let me know if I am missing something before I simply buy the less expensive one.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd also like to ask about the cabin-air filter. That filter is $60 on Suncoast vs. $27 at germanfilters. Both are the activated charcoal type... please let me know if I am missing something before I simply buy the less expensive one.

Thanks again!
Nothing. The Porsche-branded part is comparatively over-priced. BTW, IMO charcoal filters are a waste of money. I've never noticed that they do a lick of good versus the non-charcoal types. Pure marketing, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
+1

Following a smokey bus still smells like you're following a smokey bus. Ditto for fresh mowed grass etc. Though you don't always have the option on whether or not to get the charcoal type.

Love the cabin filter itself though. Car stays cleaner inside and less allergy issues.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My service sheet says every 20k miles. Maybe they've updated it over the years. And yeah my filter was dirty at 20k miles too.

I know Porsche says to use a 40,000 mile change interval on the air filter. I'm sure it has some life left in it, but it was too dirty to just put back. If you have 20K miles and haven't checked or changed it, I'd highly recommend you do just that. I dread this operation on the Boxster.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
If you drive in an area of the country that has a high pollen count in the spring (e.g., Atlanta, Birmingham, areas of NC) you will be surprised at how coated a filter gets. Assume you change the filter at 40,000 a ton of restriction built up over that time. We look for horsepower increases....changing the filter annually probably yields more hp refreshed than some of the bolt-ons IMO. I just cleaned my VFlow and was pleasantly surprised at how much increase in intake sound I heard and the increased level of the exhaust=air flow.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I guess I better try to figure out how to do this. I net there is a DIY write up on this site somewhere. Search time.....
Just think, with the new 981 you get to change two intake air filters.
This will be twice as much fun. Of course each only be half as dirty :)
Enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Amazon.com has a good selection of Porsche filters. Prices are good and shipping may be free of charge.

I changed the original engine air filter at 20K, just after buying the car, and it was more dirty than the one in the photo. 20K is not too soon to change that filter. A 15K interval seems about right.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts