Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having major problems removing the filters. It’s like they’re seized in the housing. Tried the tie rap trick,tried penetrating oil and even tried tapping the housing with a block of wood and hammer.The housings don’t budge no matter what I do. I don’t understand why this has become such a problem as the car doesn’t even have 15k on it. Anyone have any idea.The car is sitting in my garage with everything that needs to be removed/disconnected. Thanks to everyone who can help——john

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Having major problems removing the filters. It’s like they’re seized in the housing. Tried the tie rap trick,tried penetrating oil and even tried tapping the housing with a block of wood and hammer.The housings don’t budge no matter what I do. I don’t understand why this has become such a problem as the car doesn’t even have 15k on it. Anyone have any idea.The car is sitting in my garage with everything that needs to be removed/disconnected. Thanks to everyone who can help——john
Able to remove both filters. Stupid me forgot to remove one of the mounting screws on the housing and was able to remove both housings using the tie wrap trick. No need to respond to this thread. First time replacing filters and I’ll know better next time. Take care—-LJ

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
You’re not the only one to forget that retaining screw. I popped one of mine out, stopped and took a phone call and was distracted and then broke one of the tabs off with my crisscross rope remover before I realized I never removed the screw on the second one

$65 later for a new filter base, and I may break something in a new way next time, but I will never forget that screw again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You’re not the only one to forget that retaining screw. I popped one of mine out, stopped and took a phone call and was distracted and then broke one of the tabs off with my crisscross rope remover before I realized I never removed the screw on the second one

$65 later for a new filter base, and I may break something in a new way next time, but I will never forget that screw again!
Hey Boris thanks for the advice but I sprayed downward along the seam of the filter base and the body.After I finally got everything apart I checked to see where the lubricant ended up. Luckily nothing went past the filter itself so I just cleaned the base and wiped down the housing tunnel just to be sure.Again thanks for your concern. Hey ICNU I guess you and I are probably not alone. This whole filter replacement is a pita and I think the brains at Porsche could have designed this better. But everything is back together. I probably didn’t even have to do this since the filters weren’t really dirty with only 14,700 on the car. But I know better since I learned from my mistakes(plural). Take care guys and many thanks——-LJ

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
You think ours is bad. You have to remove the rear bumper on the 911 to get to the air filter!

Like ours, it's not really all that hard, just a lot of work just to access something that you can get to within seconds on other cars. I clean mine annually with the oil change since its aftermarket, and Ive been into the filter area and had the engine cover off so many times for various reasons over the years, so I can have all the trim pieces torn out and in there within 10 minutes for the filters, and not much longer into the engine bay.

Its the grease that goes on the green rubber seals each time that seems to cause them to be difficult to remove screw or no screw. Its like it forms a suction seal or similar like trying to pull a full trash bag up from a can quickly and it doesnt want to release.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I don't like the 911 design because there is a chance to scratch the panel each time, doesn't the entire rear bumper cover have to be removed? I'm always alone so that seems even more tricky with an annual frequency at the least.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I feel for you guys. All this makes maintenance so much harder. I had an air cooled 911 many years ago and if I remember all I had to do was unclip part of filter housing and install a new filter. Boy you’d think Porsche wud make things easier for us to properly maintain our cars. Too much bs to take care of our cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts