Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been trawling the forums to not much avail, so here goes the next question. What are you guys' opinions on dropping in a K&N or BMC Air filter to the croc? Haven't really trusted drop in air filters as a matter of fact, but perhaps in conjunction with other mods like the intake plenum and a full exhaust system, perhaps it allows the car to breathe better, and thus make more hp or torque gains in the process? (meaning it brings out a higher level of potential from the other hardware modifications in the car?)

Hoping for some constructive 2 cents here. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Most are good fore a few extra horsepower, though usually not enough to feel. I reccomend finding a filter that is not oiled, as there have been reported cases of the oil from aftermarket filters fouling the MAF and causing issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I,ve been running a BMC in mine for 6 months now with no issues. No other mod's to car. Had a K & N in a 911 (964) for 3 years and no problems then either when I owned that car.

Can't say that I,ve noticed any increase in power, although they claim an extra 3-5 hp. Induction noise has incresed though, especially when flat out, quite noticable, which I like!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Have been trawling the forums to not much avail, so here goes the next question. What are you guys' opinions on dropping in a K&N or BMC Air filter to the croc? Haven't really trusted drop in air filters as a matter of fact, but perhaps in conjunction with other mods like the intake plenum and a full exhaust system, perhaps it allows the car to breathe better, and thus make more hp or torque gains in the process? (meaning it brings out a higher level of potential from the other hardware modifications in the car?)

Hoping for some constructive 2 cents here. Thanks in advance.
Are you familiar with the "desnork" procedure? I recommend you try that first or in combination with an after-market filter.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I can think of two potential issues with these re-usable filters. The first is that they don't filter as well as the stock paper filter. The second is the oil that's on them. Some of this oil can contaminate the mass air flow sensor and give false readings to the ECU.

Neither of these are worth the low single digit HP increase you might get, that you can't feel, and is only available at full throttle.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The new EVOMS non-oiled filter gives the same increase in HP & TQ but eliminates the MAF oilng potential. With the new design it supposedly gives the protection of a paper filter with the performance of an oiled filter....plus its reusable!

I just ordered one due to the new no-oil design.

Rennsport-1 (sponsor) currently has a special on these right now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How difficult is it to install? I have never removed my engine cover but I am curious to see what it looks like under there. I have had my CS for about 3 weeks. I would do the install for better sound alone even if no gain in horsepower.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ken wrote an article for the install here:

EVO V-Flow Air Intake Installation - Articles

Other than drilling a couple holes for the mounting points the install doesn't look overly difficult.

Engine cover removal is not bad, need something that wont' scratch interior to pry up the carpeted cover then some T-30 torx to take off the actual engine cover. Air box itself I believe is philips head screwdriver.

·
Registered
992 Posts
How difficult is it to install? I have never removed my engine cover but I am curious to see what it looks like under there. I have had my CS for about 3 weeks. I would do the install for better sound alone even if no gain in horsepower.
1 star (out of 5) for the BMC. The bulk of the time goes toward taking the engine cover off. After that, it's about a 5 minute job.

If you get one of those old K&N's, I hear the job is damn near impossible.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
I will order a filter this weekend. Thanks guys.
Please update with your experience after installation and any noticeable changes. I might do the same thing but for $350 I would like know from others' experiences before I get it done. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I have the EVOMS dry filter installed. It has been in for about 6 weeks. It is not that difficult. Follow the instructions in the article. The most difficult part to me is getting the exact hole positions to drill and then getting the lower screw into the adapter inside. I checked it after about 1,000 miles and nothing lossened up at all. Slight increase in exhaust sound if you listen carefully.....barely noticable but that is about all. The throttle sensitivity seemed a bit improved.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have the EVOMS dry filter installed. It has been in for about 6 weeks. It is not that difficult. Follow the instructions in the article. The most difficult part to me is getting the exact hole positions to drill and then getting the lower screw into the adapter inside. I checked it after about 1,000 miles and nothing lossened up at all. Slight increase in exhaust sound if you listen carefully.....barely noticable but that is about all. The throttle sensitivity seemed a bit improved.
Did you also desnorkle?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BMC apparently is also a non-oil filter. Desnorking sounds great and have read the articles on here with regards to that. Hope no one has gotten water into their engines because of the desnorking eh? *pray*

·
Registered
565 Posts
BMC apparently is also a non-oil filter. Desnorking sounds great and have read the articles on here with regards to that. Hope no one has gotten water into their engines because of the desnorking eh? *pray*
That's what I'd be worried about, and that's why I haven't done it to mine.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was worried about this as well but once you actually do it you will see that there is no worries. If you look with a flash light down the tube once desnorkled you will see that the filter is actually approx 16 inches or so down the tube and the front siden of the filter is protected by a black plastic housing so you don't actually see the filter. To actually get the filter wet one must intensionally put a hose nozzle and point it directly inside imo. I installed some metal grill which would deflect most of the water spray and foreign objects from being ingested.

When I wash the car I just take care in not spraying directly into the vent.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can think of two potential issues with these re-usable filters. The first is that they don't filter as well as the stock paper filter. The second is the oil that's on them. Some of this oil can contaminate the mass air flow sensor and give false readings to the ECU.

Neither of these are worth the low single digit HP increase you might get, that you can't feel, and is only available at full throttle.
+1, exactly. Here's another recent thread on this very topic ('Search' is your friend) with some links to some unbiased articles showing objective empirical evidence why K&N filters are not good for your car long-term.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-tech/41057-k-n-air-filter.html

I have no financial interest either way, but would NOT run one on any of my vehicles. HTH. Dave

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts

Folks please refer to the past articles and discussion on this point, no one has ever gotten water into their engine by de-snorking. The way the tubing and the airbox is formed it is literally impossible to do so unless the water can magically make a right turn while defying gravity. Water ingestion is NOT an issue, this has been put to rest. :banana:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.