Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

A couple of weeks ago I got my the 2009 Cayman back from having the air/oil separator replaced. Dealer job.

This morning I reversed down the drive, then tried to put the gear into first (manual). No joy. Nothing worked. Shift lever flopped forward, backward, but would not engage any gears. My stomach flopped, too.

I drove backwards down the street, did a U-ie at an intersection, backed it down the street the other way, and backed the Obsidian Pearl into the garage. Tow truck, off to dealer, took pictures, almost wept. You understand.

Question for the techies here: Is there any possibility that the air/oil separator repair job required that the transmission linkage be loosened or removed and replaced? You know where this is going. Could the repair have precipitated the problem? The car has about 40K, if that's relevant at all.

Thanks much for any insight, folks.

Gene

·
Registered
574 Posts
Probably not. Most likely the common shift cable broke at the end. If that is in fact the case, I highly recommend Numeric Cup style cables.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issues. Really sorry because I was hoping that our 987.2s might not suffer these two issues that were chronic on 987.1s.
When-- apparently not if--- my shifter cable breaks, I hope I'm close to home like you were.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issues. Really sorry because I was hoping that our 987.2s might not suffer these two issues that were chronic on 987.1s.
When-- apparently not if--- my shifter cable breaks, I hope I'm close to home like you were.
. My understanding is Porsche kept the cables and pretty much everything else same for .1 and .2 cars

·
Registered
574 Posts
Are there any downsides to fitting these such as NVH issues?
There is slightly more effort required when shifting as these cables are more sturdy and some mechanical noise when shifting. For me, these things are far outweighed by the piece of mind and never having to replace them again.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've replaced the AOS and clutch myself. And either replacement does not involve the other. The US driver's side cable controls the gear selection (forward and back motion) and likely is the one that is broken. The AOS is on the other side - US passenger side.

And I confirmed parts numbers 987.1 and 987.2 shifter cables are the same part numbers (there is a revised part)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Chicago,
If you have a 5 speed then both cables are on the AOS side but much lower. I think your shift cable failed as a separate event. I keep a spare set of shift cables on hand to give good karma to the existing ones in the car. They often have to come from Germany.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts