Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first post. 08 cayman, 48k automatic.

Just the other day I had the air oil separator go out while I was driving it. Had it towed to a local mechanic which it took him about 2 weeks to figure out the problem and finally get it solved. I believe he replace some spark plugs and a couple coil-overs along with the separator. Now I'm having a problem of when I go to excel very fast that it will get stuck in 3rd gear and not progress to 4th on its own. I can use the triptronic to shift it on my own though. If I am driving at a normal speed though through town there is no problem automatically shifting through the gears. It's only when I use heavy acceleration. Also since then the check engine light has come on. I'm hesitant to take it back to the mechanic because it seems to me that he is not very knowledgeable as with the air oil problem I basically diagnosed it through this site and had to inform him on it. Also the closest Porsche dealer is over 2 hours away. If there is anything I could check on my own or any suggestions I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Long time lurker, first post. 08 cayman, 48k automatic.

Just the other day I had the air oil separator go out while I was driving it. Had it towed to a local mechanic which it took him about 2 weeks to figure out the problem and finally get it solved. I believe he replace some spark plugs and a couple coil-overs along with the separator. Now I'm having a problem of when I go to excel very fast that it will get stuck in 3rd gear and not progress to 4th on its own. I can use the triptronic to shift it on my own though. If I am driving at a normal speed though through town there is no problem automatically shifting through the gears. It's only when I use heavy acceleration. Also since then the check engine light has come on. I'm hesitant to take it back to the mechanic because it seems to me that he is not very knowledgeable as with the air oil problem I basically diagnosed it through this site and had to inform him on it. Also the closest Porsche dealer is over 2 hours away. If there is anything I could check on my own or any suggestions I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance.
I can't answer your question but maybe if you say where in California you are, someone can recommend a better mechanic for your Porsche near you. A good, independent Porsche-only shop should not have taken two weeks to diagnose this problem.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Central Coast area.
Sorry, I only know places in the South SF Bay Area. Maybe someone knows good Porsche shops in your area. Or try Google search.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Knowing what codes would help with the CEL. Typically Autozone etc can get the basic codes. Might not get some of the Porsche unique ones.

Did he clean the MAF sensor? My RAM isn't working well at the moment but I recall that an A/O separator failure dumps a lot of oil into the intake. A fouled airflow sensor can effect engine operation. Just a SWAG.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Unfortunately the CEL and the shift issue could be related ... Or not.

2 suggestions, - find your local Porsche club of America (PCA), and ask the chapter officers for recommendations.

And get a durametric enthusiast version diagnostic cable - you'll be able to go down the list of car systems and dump/clear error codes. -- even little things like disconnecting the battery, or bugs in subsystems' CAN software can throw codes that require dealer or durametric intervention to clear.

3rd suggestion - consider casting a wider net up/down the coast and travel farther to get to a good independent mechanic.

Mmmv,

-PM.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Where in the CC? Santa Barbara has a dealership.

Good advice here. I'd also pull the code with a simple OBD2 tool - then determine the next move.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where in the CC? Santa Barbara has a dealership.

Good advice here. I'd also pull the code with a simple OBD2 tool - then determine the next move.

I live in Paso, so Santa Barbara is over 2 hours and Bakersfield is about 2 hours as well. I just ordered the OBD2 so it should be here in a few days. I'll also look how to clean the MAF and see if that does anything.

I also have the sprint booster installed on my car which helps me open up the throttle a lot easier. Today it happened when it wouldn't get out of second gear. Any time I give it full to almost full throttle is when it won't shift up. Anything below that it will shift through all the gears fine. I really appreciate all the help here!

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Ok, if you're thinking sprint booster is involved, try disconnecting it for a while ...

Unfortunately some CELs will persist for a time, or a long time, even if the problem is fixed. Also, a simple obdi reader will only show the universal subset specified in OBDI, common to all manufacturers.

Porsche has quite a few brand/model -specific codes it's added to its OBDI system.

It came as a real surprise to me that CELs can be triggered by non-engine / non-emissions issues. You're approaching needle-in-haystack territory here, I'm afraid. The durametric will show you all the codes being saved in the entire car.

And to brighten your day further, the instrument cluster will show a CEL if it intermittently loses CAN bus communication with select systems ... Even if that system doesn't throw a code.

I'm told some of the incrementing revision numbers for CAN -communicating parts reflect efforts to address CAN communications problems like this. I.e. software improvements.

Ask me how I know ...

Anyway, hope you get some hard info. You can also try disconnecting the battery for a few seconds; this will clear the CEL, temporarily throw PSM into a small fit ... But that should clear itself as you drive. Be interesting to see if this fixes your CEL and for how long.

Good luck,
-PM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just want to say thanks so much for all the help. I took out the MAF today and used probably more than half the can spraying it. I took the battery off as well to reset the CEL and then took her for a drive. The CEL has not come back on yet and the shifting problem is fixed! Was using 100% throttle and if shifted from 2nd all the way to 5th. So much relief.

I also got my V1 installed today. I hard wired it into the fuse panel. Great addition. Also got all the interior lights replaced with led's. Now I'm just waiting for my trunk lid to come in and my HID head lights. I really can't say enough about this forum, they help down to every last inch doing anything to my car has been a life saver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts