Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. 2007 Cayman S 60K miles

Well this year has started off crappy. After hitting the pothole from hell last night, I threw on a new pilot s sport this morning from discount tire. Then this afternoon when pulling onto the highway the CEL came on for a second and then went away. Seconds later huge billows of white smoke began blowing out of the exhaust. I had it towed to the porsche dealer and they diagnosed it as a blown Air Oil Separator. After replacing it and cleaning out some of the mess it made, they then said that the MAF needed to be replaced due to the intake taking in too much oil.

Here are my concerns:
#1 they charged $500 to replace the Air Oil Separator (not as bad as I expected when seeing so much smoke coming out). But when they realized that the MAF needed to be replaced they said it would be an additional ~$900+. Does this not seem excessive? Scouring the web I can find the part for around ~$250. Now I understand this is the dealer we are talking and the labor is horrendous, but this is almost a ~$1500 job total. Which all totaled means I have spent ~$1850 today.

#2 while waiting for the tow truck to arrive (not having any tools to remove the engine cover and take a look for myself) I opened the oil cap and saw a bit of what looked like a milky brown/yellow color. This made me worried that coolant was getting into the system somehow. However I told this to the rep at the Dealer and he shrugged it off and apparently the service tech didn't notice anything.

I could really use some guidance on this. I am trying to read and teach myself some mechanic/engine know-how but I a have a long way to go (I am comfortable working on my nissan all day long but I get nervous even thinking about working on the Cayman). All help is greatly appreciated! Maybe in a few decades I will know enough to contribute something of my own

·
Registered
574 Posts
Changing the MAF is about a one hour job, two at max. Before I would replace an MAF I would get clean it real good with MAF cleaner, then see what happens. It looks like they are charging about 3 hours to change the AOS, which sounds about right. Maybe somebody else knowledgeable can chime in on that one. Lemme guess, Porsche Plano?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
#2 while waiting for the tow truck to arrive (not having any tools to remove the engine cover and take a look for myself) I opened the oil cap and saw a bit of what looked like a milky brown/yellow color. This made me worried that coolant was getting into the system somehow. However I told this to the rep at the Dealer and he shrugged it off and apparently the service tech didn't notice anything.
You can get that at the cap sometimes, especially if the car has been driven on short trips where the oil didn't get real warm.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Nope actually the one on Lemmon Ave. They said they tried to clean the MAF but it kept shutting the engine off.
Not quite sure I buy the shutting the engine off bit but it may be impossible to clean all the oil fouling. I wish you woulda posted on here or the Maverick FB about the AOS before spending all that money at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
MAF should be one of the easiest DIY jobs and would be a great one to get you less afraid to work on your Porsche. I agree w/ BP, I'd try cleaning it first. Maybe the dealer just wants to milk you for a new one. The tell tale sign would be if you have them put it back together with the old MAF and it runs well enough to get you home. Even if you have to tow it and buy a new MAF, you'll be $$$ ahead doing the replacement yourself.

If you're talking about this in #2, I freaked out when I saw this in my CSS. Sent the Service Advisor some pics and he said it was nothing to worry about. Easy for him to say. I haven't seen it since and this was over a yr ago.

DSCN1568.JPG DSCN1572.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I'm really sorry for your troubles. Last year (2014) I replaced the AOS in my 06 CS for a total cost of about $100 (the separator cost $75, a handy clamp tool cost about $25). It took me about 1.5 hours total, including removing the engine cover, doing the swap, and then replacing the cover.
Not saying DIY is for everyone, but Planet-9 sure helps in providing how-tos and experience, as well as the confidence you might need to try it yourself.
I sure hope your car is running fine now!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're talking about this in #2, I freaked out when I saw this in my CSS. Sent the Service Advisor some pics and he said it was nothing to worry about. Easy for him to say. I haven't seen it since and this was over a yr ago.

View attachment 54703 View attachment 54704
Yep that is it. To me it looked like coolant had mixed with the oil which made me afraid that there were more serious problems like a bad head gasket.

You mean Porsche dealers with you are open on a Sunday!! No such luxury here in the UK.
haha no. this was on saturday. I just didn't get home until late sat night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not quite sure I buy the shutting the engine off bit but it may be impossible to clean all the oil fouling. I wish you woulda posted on here or the Maverick FB about the AOS before spending all that money at the dealership.
Well yesterday was just a bad day in general. The world must have been mad at me. I mentioned this in the comment about replacing a new tire due to a pothole. This car is my wife's DD so we would need it running before Monday. In hindsight I do think this is something I could have fixed myself in an afternoon. But when I attempt to tackle jobs like these, especially on this car, I like to be able to spend a lot of time researching and gathering as much info as possible about the job and what I should expect to see when I get in there. This strategy has always paid off in the past, but unfortunately when I get into a time crunch like this situation, I was basically at the dealers mercy. I absolutely expected to be somewhat gouged by the dealership (but maybe not this much), but I did at least confirm that they would give us a loaner car for the time being, which takes away some of the hassle of this whole situation.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yep that is it. To me it looked like coolant had mixed with the oil which made me afraid that there were more serious problems like a bad head gasket.

haha no. this was on saturday. I just didn't get home until late sat night.
Sorry, the time difference screwed up my man maths. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I appreciate the help guys. This site has provided a lot of useful information to me in the past and present. And when I mention being nervous about working on the Cayman, I really only mean mechanically. When this happened I was really thinking it was going to be something more than what it was. I have done some piddling with the car like installing a new door latch and cable, and a dension. And I am not too worried about small things like changing the oil, etc. But I think I tend to assume the worst possible scenario in these situations (like a head gasket) and that is because usually that is just my luck.

About the only upside from the whole thing is getting to drive the new Cayman S. I am really enjoying it tbh. I have read that some people don't think it feels as quick. When just cruising it isn't as jumpy off the line and has a more comfortable ride. But when in sport plus mode I think it is every bit as quick as my Cayman S. I plan to get my money's worth out of it this afternoon. May even take the LONG way to the grocery store (which is a mile away) :burnout:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Cadillac,
Sorry to hear about your troubles. If you wind up having to replace the MAF you'll need a torx bit with the security hole in the center. I think I got mine from Amazon.

Good Luck

Rob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well just to finish up this topic, they replaced both components. They said due to the fact that my state inspection is due this month and that oil got into the intake, I need to run it pretty hard in order to help remove any residual oil so that I will pass the emissions test. TBH I don't think the shop I use for cheapo work like this even does an emissions test half the time. In hindsight this is a job I would do my self, but not having experiencing the smoke out of the tailpipe scenario (and nearly crapping my pants in the process) I did what I thought was best for the car. Lesson learned I suppose.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The good news is now you have some experience with the symtoms and will be willing to take it on next time. The bad news is AOSs can be a weak pt and you'll probably have to change one again sometime in the future.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you do indeed have oiled the intake. Try running some seafoam through it (see article here or google it up) Don't forget to change the oil afterwards.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you drive the car around in town with the A/C off the coolant temperature will get pretty warm. When you shut off the engine the heat will soak the intake and any oil in the intake will make its way to the engine. You might see a bit of smoking upon the next engine start if the engine is completely cold. It won't take much time to remove an oil from the intake. If you run it hard this keeps the intake quite cold so any oil will be less likely to make its way out of the intake into the engine.

BTW, the techs at the local dealers tell me it is quite common to find oil in the intake when opening the intake and there are no real issues with the cars not passing emissions.

The best thing you can do for emissions is to take the car for a nice long drive -- 40 miles or so at highway speeds -- before the test to ensure everything is up temperature but that the converters are operating efficiently. The long drive helps clean the converters of any deposits that can affect their function. (My Boxster failed an emissions test then after a drive passed with flying colors. The engine was quite up to temperature before the 1st test, too.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts