Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Just curious how well the alcantara is wearing for those who have the seats and steering wheel, etc.
Not sure if I want leather or the alcantara.

Thanks guys
I have had both in a couple of my cars now, seats and steering wheel, there are certainly pros and cons.

On the seats: Alcantara is better if left in the sun, doesn't get as hot or cold but as this material is actually a cloth, it is not as strong as leather and can be stained a little easier. What it does do is help you not to slide around as much during the spirited driving sessions, as for cleaning both are about the same. Leather may have a slight edge for longevity.

On Steering wheel: Alcantara does feel nice in the hands, again in the sun, not hot to touch, I think the grip is better too, leather gets hot and as we found out a key or ring can scrape the surface which can't be repaired. The downside of Alcantara is that it can be stained or dirtied with oils or lotions, your hands must be clean and definitely no greasy burgers just before or while driving! :hilarious:

As for cleaning, leather is the easiest, Alcantara needs regular vacuuming and cleaning with appropriate solutions and brushes to stay looking good and prevent matting.

So to summarize, from my experience over the past 10 years and if I order another Porsche I would get an Alcantara steering wheel again, for the seats if available here I would again go with Alcantara for the seating surfaces.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just curious how well the alcantara is wearing for those who have the seats and steering wheel, etc.
Not sure if I want leather or the alcantara.

Thanks guys
Never had alcantara seats, but with 10k miles, I am concerned with how my steering wheel is starting to look—slightly worn and maybe a bit oily. A fair amount of track driving with gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also use the Sonax Upholstery and Alcantara Cleaner on the alcantara as well. It really freshens up the steering wheel after 6,000 miles or so on our 3 yo BMW.

I had an 18 yo Audi with alcantara with 32,000 miles and the seats were still very good with just a regular vacuum. The steering wheel was getting a bit tired but it did freshen up quite a bit with the Sonax. I think if I had used it more regularly it would have been better.

I think you have to be doing a lot of kms to damage/wear the alcantara. Steering wheel is going to be the main traffic area and gear shift if manual.

I have full alcantara in my GTS including steering wheel and it is so nice.

I'd consider sport tex seats over alcantara but not leather. Maybe leather on the steering wheel is ok but it doesn't beat the alcantara if you're willing to take care of it.

Of course leather is really durable but as mentioned above gets hot!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've Heard lots of feedback on this and other forums of alcantara still looking good several years after purchasing the car. However considering the longevity of Porsches, where 30, 40 and 50 year old models are very much still in demand, I think the jury is still out on how the material will wear after decades of use. I think the safe bet is still leather. Maybe this is not a big concern for folks planning to keep their car for only a few years but I like to think I'm just shepherding the car for its next owner. At any rate, barring a major accident my Porsche will likely outlive me and it will be nice to know that it's wearing well.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
7 years in, quite a lot of miles.

Close to new still. Why? Clean it with Sonax and lift it (using a vacuum cleaner with a completely blunted nozzle) once a year. Granted, I always wear some basic, fingerless driving gloves.

Canonical how-to video:

In general, if you aren't going to put in the occasional effort to clean it, avoid it. If you put in the occasional effort to clean it, it's fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts