Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

The debate in my head rings on weather or not I should buy my Cayman out when the lease is up. One area that it's missing is Alcantara in the interior. I was going to spend a pretty penny to get the interior re-covered in Alcantara (not every bit, but a few parts like the doors, glovebox, new shifter and steeringwheel, the sides of the Nav, and the area below the steering wheel. I was going to spend a pretty penny to have it professionally done... however, the other day I figured it can't be too complicated.

I figured I could read service books on how to take the dash apart and cover everything myself in Suede I can get by the yard, if that fails, I can always do what I originally wanted to do is pay someone to do it. What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks
-Joey

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It all depends on how handy you are. I did something like this during the restoration of my 928. The toughest part is getting all the panels off without breaking something. Since you have a fall back position that is acceptable to you, have a go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah since I do, I'll probably give it a try. Anyone know where I can buy Alcantara by the yard? Or maybe a good quality comparable material?

I think the only thing I wouldn't attempt is the seats, I would just buy those new or barely used and pop them in.

Thanks
-Joey

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have tried working with Alcantera in the past and did not have good luck. I tried to cover a dashboard on my Pantera. There were several compound curves that proved to be problematic. The issue with Alcantara is that since it is a man made product it does not behave the same as leather when you are trying to strech it and so on. I ended up paying a professional to do the interior and dash on the car. I purchased the Alcantara in Italy where it is produced (maybe now someone produces it in the US under lisence). You can do a search on the net for the info on the manufacturer and they will put you in touch with a distributor. If you end up importing it your self, make sure that it is shipped to your home and not a place of business. Shipping it to a business evidently sets of a number of bells at the customs office that can turn into a nightmare. Take my word for it.
Also, make sure that when you order the Alcantara that you specify the application: Automotive, Dashboard, doors and headliner, seats. There are different Alcantara depending on the application. I think that this is what messed me up.
Wish you luck on your project and please post photos when your car is done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried working with Alcantera in the past and did not have good luck. I tried to cover a dashboard on my Pantera. There were several compound curves that proved to be problematic. The issue with Alcantara is that since it is a man made product it does not behave the same as leather when you are trying to strech it and so on. I ended up paying a professional to do the interior and dash on the car. I purchased the Alcantara in Italy where it is produced (maybe now someone produces it in the US under lisence). You can do a search on the net for the info on the manufacturer and they will put you in touch with a distributor. If you end up importing it your self, make sure that it is shipped to your home and not a place of business. Shipping it to a business evidently sets of a number of bells at the customs office that can turn into a nightmare. Take my word for it.
Also, make sure that when you order the Alcantara that you specify the application: Automotive, Dashboard, doors and headliner, seats. There are different Alcantara depending on the application. I think that this is what messed me up.
Wish you luck on your project and please post photos when your car is done.
Thanks for the advice. I'll prolly be doing the car this winter when the weather gets crappy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
There are many factory pieces available, and some of them are decently priced.

Currently on sale:

I only have one of these:

If you're looking to do a full interior upgrade, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you (let me know which pieces you need).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are many factory pieces available, and some of them are decently priced.

Currently on sale:

I only have one of these:

If you're looking to do a full interior upgrade, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you (let me know which pieces you need).
Hi, yeah I want to do a full interior upgrade if I keep the car. This weekend, I'll organize a list of parts for you with pics, this way you can price it out for me. If I can install it myself, might be easier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
this might be a dumb question. Being alcantara is man made just why is it so expensive and why is it so much bragged about. I will say it is nice looking but I guess to me Porsches fine leather just tops alcantara for me anyways. I have seen it in Porsches where is is comvbined with good leather and it looks nice but Iam just not sold on it. Convince me??? Please.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ordered my 2009 CS with Alcantara seat centers (see attached pic). I love the look and feel and I wish I ordered more Alcantara in the car. I would highly recommend using the Alcantara. Obviously, since mine came from the factory I don't have any experience installing it, but I did get a sample from a US distributor before I ordered the car. According to the website, the material is extremely durable and washable. I messed around with the sample and couldn't damage it.

Here's the distributor that I got my sample from:
GULF FABRICS, INC.
3709 N ARMENIA AVE
TAMPA, FLORIDA 33607-1303
PHONE-800-237-6677 FAX 813-348-9540
Gulf Fabrics Home Page

Hope this helps. Post some photos of whatever you end up doing.

Scott

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
What is your lease residual? If it is really out of whack with the current market, you could fund you alcantara extravaganza by turning it in and buying another car for market rates.

Personally, I have ethical questions about the way the Arctic Alcantaro is raised in farms for this purpose. Only the belly fur is suitable for automotive use, so it takes a lot of the little guys to make an interior.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
"Personally, I have ethical questions about the way the Arctic Alcantaro is raised in farms for this purpose. Only the belly fur is suitable for automotive use, so it takes a lot of the little guys to make an interior. "

And that's the problem . . . . . imagine walking out of a nice dinner and finding PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Alcantaras) parading around your car.

Know what you are getting in to.

:)

·
The 2006-08 Cayman LED spar guy!
6,013 Posts
What is your lease residual? If it is really out of whack with the current market, you could fund you alcantara extravaganza by turning it in and buying another car for market rates.

Personally, I have ethical questions about the way the Arctic Alcantaro is raised in farms for this purpose. Only the belly fur is suitable for automotive use, so it takes a lot of the little guys to make an interior.
Hello DaveN007,

I'm sure someone misled you (possibly to soften the blow) that the belly fur is suitable for automotive applications. That would be nice if true because a well fed Arctic Alcantaro's belly can grow to produce a pelt yielding as much as 1.37 square feet of ultra fine-fur.

The unfortunate reality is that the ultra fine-fur used in automotive applications is actually only harvested from the foreskin of the males in the species. Compounded by the fact that the Arctic Alcantaro is a cold weather creature, that special area of harvest usually stays quite contracted minimizing the opportunity for accommodative fine-fur propagation. ;)

Regards,
Joe

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
996 Posts
Hello DaveN007,

I'm sure someone misled you (possibly to soften the blow) that the belly fur is suitable for automotive applications. That would be nice if true because a well fed Arctic Alcantaro's belly can grow to produce a pelt yielding as much as 1.37 square feet of ultra fine-fur.

The unfortunate reality is that the ultra fine-fur used in automotive applications is actually only harvested from the foreskin of the males in the species. Compounded by the fact that the Arctic Alcantaro is a cold weather creature, that special area of harvest usually stays quite contracted minimizing the opportunity for accommodative fine-fur propagation. ;)

Regards,
Joe
No thanks. I think I'll just use my dog instead. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts