Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with Alcantara seats in boxster? Of course black leather seats in convertible are going to get hot as hell in the sun.
Anyone know if Alcantara gets less hot in the sun? I'm looking for any angles to convince wife over S. :)

Thanks. Brandon

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
My 08 BS LE came with black alcantara seats. Coming from a stone gray 01 BS, I wondered the same thing about a black int in a conv. Alcantara is much less hot than leather (granted, I leave the top up when temp > 85 deg). Get the alcantara, you'll love it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Convertible

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Two things. First, Alcantara is only used in the CENTER sections, not on the bolsters or upper part of the seat; just an FYI. And even if you could justify/afford full Alcantara with a CXX option for an exhorbitant fee, don't believe they're available on Caymans and Boxsters (could be wrong though). But most importantly, with Alcantara, you lose the possibility of seat ventilation no matter what, and that alone was enough to make Alcantara seats a deal-breaker to me even if I liked it (I don't;)), so had to search long and hard for a GTS without it (it comes standard with Alcantara). Finally, I'll never buy a car with Alcantara on anything the body touches, especially the steering wheel. The cars I had with it aged horribly. Much prefer leather, even when it requires more maintenance, but with proper care, looks like new for years and years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two things. First, Alcantara is only used in the CENTER sections, not on the bolsters or upper part of the seat; just an FYI. And even if you could justify/afford full Alcantara with a CXX option for an exhorbitant fee, don't believe they're available on Caymans and Boxsters (could be wrong though). But most importantly, with Alcantara, you lose the possibility of seat ventilation no matter what, and that alone was enough to make Alcantara seats a deal-breaker to me even if I liked it (I don't;)), so had to search long and hard for a GTS without it (it comes standard with Alcantara). Finally, I'll never buy a car with Alcantara on anything the body touches, especially the steering wheel. The cars I had with it aged horribly. Much prefer leather, even when it requires more maintenance, but with proper care, looks like new for years and years.
Great advice. Thanks

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yes but NBD if they're ventilated.
They ONLY need ventilation because problem was introduced by manufacturer - namely, the leather. The seats ONLY need heating because the problem was introduced by manufacturer - namely, the leather. It is funny how public perceives certain things. 911 (with chassis code "911") had no problems offering cloth seats. Singer Re-imagined 911s that will cost you $X (up to $100,000) for donor 964 chassis and then about $500,000 on average on the top of that have no problem having cloth seats. But somehow, the customers perceive cloth as "substandard". Crazy $hit, if you ask me.

OP, alcantara is really good for everything everybody else pointed out. Maintenance? Do you really need to eat that extra-stuffed burritos and slurp on mega-gulp when driving 981? Well, if not, nothing to worry about. Leather is a problem in search of a solution, alcantara is not. Yes, it would be a lot better with plain automotive cloth, but see above.

Good luck on that purchase!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Maintenance? Do you really need to eat that extra-stuffed burritos and slurp on mega-gulp when driving 981?
Nothing other than water touches my cars man. The problem with Alcantara is SWEAT, especially from your hands (but seats too). Many guys with Alcantara steering wheels wear gloves all the time, so sweat doesn't mess it up. What is the purpose of having it then? And then it's a PITA to clean. My brother's BGTS has it, and my CGTS still looks like new. His doesn't, and hardly uses it with the top down. I'd only like having the door inserts (but not the armrest) and lower portion of the dash with Alcantara, for a sportier look (not touched at all), but wasn't an option. To each his own though. When I had my first car with it (a 2012 Centennial Vette), thought because I'm super anal it'd look like new over the long run; wrong. And every time you clean it, kind of wears a little bit. It's worse than cloth in that regard. Oh, and all the 911 Singers I've seen have had the best leather I've ever laid my eyes on, not cloth. That 'old-looking 'pepita' cloth Porsche started bringing back looks like absolute crap IMO. I will never understand the retro mentality, but to each his own;). I'd only own a resto-mod if forced to, but never full retro. I've driven many classics, and can't understand why anybody would like to drive a POS like that when a modern vehicle is immensely better. Only when mechanicals are modern, hence my resto-mod reference, but many times not even that, with awful interiors, etc. It'd have to be a fully done restomod, but in my case, I'd buy MANY modern cars before even considering one, and unfortunately, don't have the millions to buy those first;). But still appreciate and recognize old cars' histories.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a BGTS. Yes it is a little more work as alcantara has two shades depending on which way the fibers are going (simple swipe with a cloth). But I love it because it is never hot or cold. As for cleaning, my seats are black so it is hard to tell if it is dirty but cleaning it is very easy. I love it also because once I am settled in the seat I feel "set" and dont slide around like i would in a leather seat. As for looks it definitely makes the car look more upscale. So in short I do prefer it over leather.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Oh, and all the 911 Singers I've seen have had the best leather I've ever laid my eyes on, not cloth. That 'old-looking 'pepita' cloth Porsche started bringing back looks like absolute crap IMO. I will never understand the retro mentality, but to each his own;).
There's plenty of both plus half/half where seat bolsters are leather, but seat centers and dash are cloth. If you are into car p0rn, check the link below.

Singer Vehicle Design | Restored. Reimagined. Reborn

Pepita might look like a crap, that is personal taste, not to be discussed. What is out of discussion is that they are cooler in summer and warmer in winter to the point of needing nether cooling nor heating. I have been daily driving a car with cloth since summer of 2013 and it became a requirement to me, together with MT. I also always look to pick Nissan Altima or Maxima as a rental in extreme temps because you are basically guaranteed to have cloth seats.

Finally, after Eddie Murphy showed off full leather outfit in the 1983, we would be all wearing leather even as underwear if it were any good in contact with human skin. Fortunately, we do not. I have no idea whatsoever why people get that in their daily driving cars. I do not mind leather in my Cayman at all because I do not park it outdoors. The only time it sucks is when it is on the racetrack for the weekend - then I am reminded of the leather's shortcomings.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
What is out of discussion is that they are cooler in summer and warmer in winter to the point of needing nether cooling nor heating.
That is not true at all in summer, but it is in winter, even though where I live hardly ever use seat heaters. I sweat like a pig on my brother's BGTS, compared to my CGTS with ventilated seats. Leather without ventilation might be worse, but still, leather (even without ventilation) is the best compromise for me. Cloth (including Alcantara) in hot weather start smelling like crap from all the sweating after a while, and it's harder to clean. And when you do, you're wearing it out. A matter of preference, but there's a reason why only crappy cars have cloth. Ha ha. Alcantara is the biggest cashcow for manufacturers, but thankfully, it's only offered on very few sports cars. I've had it a few times, but if I have the option, never again... just like another black car. Ha ha. Have a great weekend gang.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have experience with Alcantara seats in boxster? Of course black leather seats in convertible are going to get hot as hell in the sun.
Anyone know if Alcantara gets less hot in the sun? I'm looking for any angles to convince wife over S. :)

Thanks. Brandon
Alcantara is the better option for temp control ESPECIALLY if it’s going to be convertible. Also depends where you live, I have a 12C Mclaren, love in PR, so it’s hot and humid all year round. Probably a little late for this reply but maybe you can make an informed decision for the next cat. I read an article that explains in detail why Alcnatara is better for hot climates. I'll link it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alcantara is the better option for temp control ESPECIALLY if it’s going to be convertible. Also depends where you live, I have a 12C Mclaren, love in PR, so it’s hot and humid all year round. Probably a little late for this reply but maybe you can make an informed decision for the next cat. I read an article that explains in detail why Alcnatara is better for hot climates. I'll link it
Great explanations of both materials! Thanks
If you're wondering about why exactly is Alcantara better in hot climates, I found this article, my uncle has a murdered out 12C and a 650, we live in Puerto Rico, temps can reach 95F on November. I don’t have to mention how it gets during summer. The 12C is full Alcantara trim the 650 is only dash and he spends more time of the old model because the temperature control is just so much better on the Alcantara.
Check it out:
http://carcantara.com/alcantara-vs-leather-in-hot-climates/ here you go, thought it was infomational

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Old thread but some interesting conclusions, for me I have had Alcantara in the Boxsters since 2013, and yes the next one will to, including the steering wheel! ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.