Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my bike up to San Jose for service. While I had gone that far north, I figured I may as well go up to Alice's; as it was around lunch time anyway. Saw two Ferrari in the lot, the other was a black F430 spyder. Also saw a GT40 replica and a 911-GT3. And the usual army of Harleys. Some folks in PA & Australia would be interested to know that BMW also makes Liberace-mobiles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
When I am in Palo Alto I often make it up to Skyline Blvd. Unfortunately my cars and my motorcycles are in North Carolina. I need to fix that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used to run 84 up to Alice's every weekend when I lived out west , from there so many good side roads , and of course Skyline itself.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I used to run 84 up to Alice's every weekend when I lived out west , from there so many good side roads , and of course Skyline itself.
Last Sunday, I did the loop again. Hwy 9 from Santa Cruz (which is right where the Hwy 1 northbound freeway ends) thru Boulder Creek to Skyline Blvd. North on Skyline to Hwy 84 (La Honda Road), where Alice's Restaurant is. Stopped in to get a burger, and the place was still packed at 3pm. I was lucky and found a stool at the bar counter in the back side (Alice' has two bar counters, one in front & one in back). Alice's is a favorite spot for car/bike enthusiasts. (The staff wear black T-shirts with one of two famous movie promo photos on the back; one is the shot of Brando sitting on his bike from the "Rebels" movie, the other is McQueen angling an old Harley around a corner.) The guy sitting at the bar on my right was into Porsche and we talked for quite a while about Rennsport at Laguna Seca last month. He said that earlier that morning, he watched a 2-hour TV doc on Rennsport that was on Fox Sports 1. The guy on my left owned a Lotus Elise, and we talked about cool driving roads in that area. After the burger, I took La Honda Road west to Hwy 1, and then south. No problem with traffic jams on southbound Hwy 1 out of Santa Cruz.

Tips & Observations: As it was a weekend, there were lots of bikes out; I must have seen at a least a hundred. In the past, 75% of the bikes were usually Harleys. This day was unusual in that it was the other way around; most of the bikes were café-style sport bikes. When they showed up in my rear view mirror, I pulled over to the right side of my lane and waved for them to go by, and they didn't waste any time blowing my doors off. Those guys were probably doing about 60 on Hwy 9; which is a 45 limit, and there aren't any passing zones. Btwn Hwy 9 and Alice's, the southern half of Skyline is in pretty bad shape, and they are beginning to repave that section. While parking my car at Alice's, I saw a Tesla roadster drive by - first time I'd ever seen one outside of a car show. I'm partial to burgers with bacon. Alice's has about 20 different burgers, and a few versions have bacon. Most of their burgers are named after motorcycles, and I like the Harley & BMW burgers. Since I live south of Santa Cruz, and this area is north of Santa Cruz, there's pros & cons as to which day to go up there. On a weekday, southbound traffic out of SC in the afternoon is pretty bad, and it starts as early as 2:30pm Traffic is usually jammed btwn central SC and the State Park exit to the south; which is about 9 miles. It can take 20 - 30 minutes to drive that distance. OTH, there's a quite a bit of traffic in the mountains north of SC on a weekend.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it too.
That 911 sure looks out of place. Once a month, the Golden Gate chapter of PCA has a Saturday breakfast social in the back room of Alice's; so the parking lot is full of you--know-what.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes, but don't they call it the "Boxter Breakfast"? I'm lucky, I live in Saratoga, so I go up every week during the week when there's no traffic, bikes, or you know what.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Alice's is a staple in my life.... since I first rode it on a '79 Kawasaki KZ650 back in 1980. Now I prefer the Cayman S or something else with 4 wheels. I took some video out there (link below) last Fall in the McLaren, starting at the Pescadero end of Hwy 84 and headed up the hill to LaHonda and Alice's. Big sweepers out in farmland, then up the hill into forested twists, stopping at Apple Jack's for a short rest. Such a great road!

IMG_0060.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elDPOVQuO1k

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
For anyone old enough to remember the Arlo Guthrie song, there actually was a real Alice's Restaurant (somewhere in New England, I believe) and there was a real Alice (Brock)--she was not a made up character. She was somewhat into cars, by the way, and many years ago I helped her decide on the purchase of a then-perhaps 13-year-old MG TD. We haven't crossed paths in 45 years. I'm guessing she'd now be in her late 70s if she's still alive.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
"You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant, exceptin' Alice."
Without saying more, the nature of our interaction precluded any possibility of my trying to get Alice, so to speak. That said, however, she was a cutie and, at least at that time, she was not paired up with anyone to my knowledge. There's a great story attached to all this and I wish I could tell it (as it's good for a laugh, albeit on me), but doing so would be breaking a confidence. Certain issues seemingly have no statute of limitations on an ethical (if not legal) basis . . .

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
For anyone old enough to remember the Arlo Guthrie song, there actually was a real Alice's Restaurant (somewhere in New England, I believe) and there was a real Alice (Brock)--she was not a made up character.
Read about the real Alice and her restaurant in the para labeled "Reality." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice's_Restaurant She was a pretty multi-faceted gal in her time.

I was told by some Bay Area locals that the restaurant was deliberately named after the one in Arlo's tune.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For anyone old enough to remember the Arlo Guthrie song.
Then you should also know who Ken Kesey is. In Tom Wolfe's "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test", KK was the head of the "Merry Pranksters", and the house he had at that time is on the road in Dave's video (in post #9). Kesey's old house is about 1.5 miles west of the Apple Jack tavern in the video. As you're headed west on La Honda Road, it's on the left hand side, and there's still a psychedelic rendering of a foot print on the mailbox post.

Alice's is a staple in my life.... since I first rode it on a '79 Kawasaki KZ650 back in 1980. Now I prefer the Cayman S or something else with 4 wheels. I took some video out there (link below) last Fall in the McLaren, starting at the Pescadero end of Hwy 84 and headed up the hill to LaHonda and Alice's. Big sweepers out in farmland, then up the hill into forested twists, stopping at Apple Jack's for a short rest. Such a great road!
My third or fourth bike was an early 80s KZ750, black with orange stripes. Thx for the video; that's one of the better "driving" videos I've seen. I gather the camera was mounted with suction cups? Lots of bikers in the westbound lane; they're as common as mosquitos in Minnesota. That car of yours looks freakin' awesome, and I'm sure it's a lotta fun.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My third or fourth bike was an early 80s KZ750, black with orange stripes. Thx for the video; that's one of the better "driving" videos I've seen. I gather the camera was mounted with suction cups? Lots of bikers in the westbound lane; they're as common as mosquitos in Minnesota. That car of yours looks freakin' awesome, and I'm sure it's a lotta fun.
That 750 was a great bike, I remember it well.

131956670_kz.jpg

I also had the first Gpz550 (81) and the first mid-sized Ninja ('85 600). I found one of the few remaining 85 Zx600 Ninjas and started restoring it a couple years ago. Here it is now...See you on Hwy 84!!

IMG_0965_zpsgsv5av1r.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Brings back fond memories , I used to ride up to Alice's every weekend ( I grew up out there) . GREAT roads in that area!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Brings back fond memories , I used to ride up to Alice's every weekend ( I grew up out there) . GREAT roads in that area!
I have fond memories too - from about 3 hours ago when I was there in the back having a burger and a beer.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have fond memories too - from about 3 hours ago when I was there in the back having a burger and a beer.
I should have given you a call last weekend when I went up there. But that trip it was a "spur of the moment" decision, and I didn't leave the house until 1pm when it takes me TWO hours to get to Alice's. And it was pretty dark by the time I got to the west end of La Honda Rd at Hwy 1. Brains were not working well that day. :hilarious: We'll have to get together some other time.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I should have given you a call last weekend when I went up there. But that trip it was a "spur of the moment" decision, and I didn't leave the house until 1pm when it takes me TWO hours to get to Alice's. And it was pretty dark by the time I got to the west end of La Honda Rd at Hwy 1. Brains were not working well that day. :hilarious: We'll have to get together some other time.
Absolutely. My time is flexible. Maybe we can put together a run with a few P-9ers.

BTW, I got my 911 out of the shop this (Friday) morning (after some interior resto work) and decided (spur of the moment) to drive it up to Alice's and have brunch and a mimosa. They have Wi Fi here and I am posting this from a booth in the back. The day is young; where to next. . .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts