Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an alignment on by 06 BOxster. The local dealer wants $185 while a decent indy (only does porsche and BMW) wants $89.95. While I want to save money I dont know if the dealer is a better option as my car is under warranty and I want it done right. I do know the indy has all this cool equipment as they show it on their website. The indy has a porsche master mechanic.

What does the dealer offer that the indy might not in general? Can I assume the dealer is more competent than the indy?

·
Registered
238 Posts
You will find many people on this site that think your car should go to the dealer periodically. But an alignment is an alignment if the indy has the proper equipment and the know how to use it.

I am biased because my local dealer wants $419 for an alignment and a local high end indy (BMW's, Benz', Porsche's etc.) wants $89.95 for the same work. Just in case anyone thinks I heard this wrong, my local dealer charged me $414 for an oil change. It did include a new filter though (I hope)!

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I would try the indipendent after I got some references from previous customers. A good of information is your local PCA, they normally know of good indipendent mechanics.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Here in Cincinnati we have some good choices for alignment. To get a 4 wheel with no ride height or corner adjustments the price is a toss up. The alignment quality rests with the tech.

If you have coil-overs and the car is dropped a good independent probably has more experience it this area. I would expect to pay at least $250 for this type work, more if it was the first alignment after modifications to the suspension.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.