Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I first got the car, I noticed a very, very slight pull to the right on some roads. I wasn't sure if it was the road crowns or the car. I also noticed that the steering wheel was canted to the right about 2 degrees ... minor but noticeable.

Just to be safe, I brought it in today to one of the local front end shops I trust. Sure enough, it was slightly out. Total front toe was off 0.13" and total rear toe was out by 0.21". Camber was fine.

The wheel is now perfectly centered and there is o longer any sense of pulling, however slight that may have been. Steering subjectively feels a little tighter on center, but I'm not sure if that's my mind or the alignment.

I wonder if the factory alignment is commonly off, or if mine was just an isolated case.

Reactions: 981WC

·
Registered
583 Posts
What specs was the alignment shop using? My bet is road crown had more to do with this than anything else.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What specs was the alignment shop using? My bet is road crown had more to do with this than anything else.
I have the readout here. He used the factory specs for the 2013 981 S.

There is a difference, since I drove back on the same roads and did not feel any of the pulling I felt before. Again, it was never severe, but I did feel it enough to have the alignment checked.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Since I first got the car, I noticed a very, very slight pull to the right on some roads. I wasn't sure if it was the road crowns or the car. I also noticed that the steering wheel was canted to the right about 2 degrees ... minor but noticeable.

Just to be safe, I brought it in today to one of the local front end shops I trust. Sure enough, it was slightly out. Total front toe was off 0.13" and total rear toe was out by 0.21". Camber was fine.

The wheel is now perfectly centered and there is o longer any sense of pulling, however slight that may have been. Steering subjectively feels a little tighter on center, but I'm not sure if that's my mind or the alignment.

I wonder if the factory alignment is commonly off, or if mine was just an isolated case.
No, I've never had a problem with the Porsche factory alignment. On my 981S I can go 80 MPH with my hands off the steering wheel and the car continues in a straight path, absolutely no pull to either right or left.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
If you do a search you'll learn that out of spec (sometimes way out of spec) factory alignment is not uncommon. You have a limited period of time after delivery to have the car properly aligned under warranty. It may be manifested in excessive/unequal tire wear without any obvious street handling problems and so may not be discovered until after the free alignment period has expired.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Getting alignment done was one of the things someone suggested in the taking delivery thread so I asked my SA about it. She said that the dealer techs check the car/take it for a ride and if the alignment is off they will do one, if its fine then they don't touch it.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Getting alignment done was one of the things someone suggested in the taking delivery thread so I asked my SA about it. She said that the dealer techs check the car/take it for a ride and if the alignment is off they will do one, if its fine then they don't touch it.

:hilarious:

So by driving it their butt and their experience will determine whether its within specs or not.

:hilarious:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Seemed a touch on the hoakey side but I didn't push the subject figuring that if I had a problem with the car then I'd make myself a nuisance. Luckily my car is fine after 660km.

·
Registered
832 Posts
My experience is mixed. My new 02 Boxster's alignment appeared to be just fine when I picked up the car.

Unfortunately it appeared to be rendered out of alignment when I took the car in for an RMS/IMS end plate upgrade. Afterwards I noted tire wear concentrated at the inner edges of the rear tires.

With the benefit of hindsight I suspect with the car partially disassembled it was lowered to the ground and this upset the alignment.

But at the time I thought inner edge rear tire wear the norm but found out later it is not.

Now my new 08 Cayman S was not properly aligned from the start.

After day or two of giving myself some time to acclimate to the car it was clear the alignment was not right. Not horribly wrong but obviously not right.

The SM initially refused to align the car under the new car warranty but I offered to if the tech found the alignment ok to pay for the alignment. The SM softened some and said that he didn't realize I had just (a day or two before) bought the car and would do an alignment under warranty. Within a few minutes of the car being on the alignment rack the tech was adjusting away.

Afterwards the car felt markedly better.

When I picked up a CPO 03 Turbo the steering felt a bit off so I had the car in for an alignment. The alignment was off and afterwards again the car felt markedly better.

If the car doesn't feel right, if the steering wheel isn't straight, if the car pulls consistently to one side or the other -- you have to give this time to make itself known for road surface topology plays a role -- then the odds are high the alignment is off.

In the case of my Boxster after the repairs though the alignment was horribly wrong the car felt just fine. Steered straight. No wander. Felt perfect. But oh that rear tire wear...

Oh, same for the Turbo. Miles and miles later time for new tires and another alignment.

Afterwards, though this time the rear tires were gone in around 8K miles (less than half their usual service miles).

With new tires on the car and the car on the alignment rack the alignment proved to be out, rear toe the culprit. But in that 8K miles I suspected nothing as the car felt just fine.

Last I have had my cars aligned with no ballast in the car and with ballast in the car (to compensate for the driver's weight) and I can't tell the difference. The factory only calls out the gas tank be full, the spare tire/tool kit (whatever the car came with from the factory) be properly installed, and the car empty of junk (weight) before an alignment.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My experience is mixed. My new 02 Boxster's alignment appeared to be just fine when I picked up the car.

Unfortunately it appeared to be rendered out of alignment when I took the car in for an RMS/IMS end plate upgrade. Afterwards I noted tire wear concentrated at the inner edges of the rear tires.

With the benefit of hindsight I suspect with the car partially disassembled it was lowered to the ground and this upset the alignment.

But at the time I thought inner edge rear tire wear the norm but found out later it is not.

Now my new 08 Cayman S was not properly aligned from the start.

After day or two of giving myself some time to acclimate to the car it was clear the alignment was not right. Not horribly wrong but obviously not right.

The SM initially refused to align the car under the new car warranty but I offered to if the tech found the alignment ok to pay for the alignment. The SM softened some and said that he didn't realize I had just (a day or two before) bought the car and would do an alignment under warranty. Within a few minutes of the car being on the alignment rack the tech was adjusting away.

Afterwards the car felt markedly better.

When I picked up a CPO 03 Turbo the steering felt a bit off so I had the car in for an alignment. The alignment was off and afterwards again the car felt markedly better.

If the car doesn't feel right, if the steering wheel isn't straight, if the car pulls consistently to one side or the other -- you have to give this time to make itself known for road surface topology plays a role -- then the odds are high the alignment is off.

In the case of my Boxster after the repairs though the alignment was horribly wrong the car felt just fine. Steered straight. No wander. Felt perfect. But oh that rear tire wear...

Oh, same for the Turbo. Miles and miles later time for new tires and another alignment.

Afterwards, though this time the rear tires were gone in around 8K miles (less than half their usual service miles).

With new tires on the car and the car on the alignment rack the alignment proved to be out, rear toe the culprit. But in that 8K miles I suspected nothing as the car felt just fine.

Last I have had my cars aligned with no ballast in the car and with ballast in the car (to compensate for the driver's weight) and I can't tell the difference. The factory only calls out the gas tank be full, the spare tire/tool kit (whatever the car came with from the factory) be properly installed, and the car empty of junk (weight) before an alignment.
Thank you for your comments. I've always been very conscious of alignment issues and, in this case, the steering wheel being slightly off plus the slight pull to the right made me suspect there might have been a minor misalignment. The rear toe was off, and the car does feel better now with no pulling and a perfectly centered wheel.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
On my 911s I never got over 12K miles on my rear tires; the fronts wore a lot slower but I always replaced all four anyway. My wife gets around 40K miles on her tires on her Audis, but our driving styles are a little different. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
The factory alignment on my Cayman is off as well. Pulls slightly to the left and the steering wheel is canted slightly to the right. I've got an appointment on Tues with the dealer to have it sorted out.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The factory alignment on my Cayman is off as well. Pulls slightly to the left and the steering wheel is canted slightly to the right. I've got an appointment on Tues with the dealer to have it sorted out.
I'd bet the rear toe is off. I wonder if this is just inconsistent factory alignment or the result of the shipping process.

·
Registered
556 Posts
When we swapped out my S suspension for the R we spent a lot of time on the alignment and the numbers were close to a perfect match. The front tires with 20,000 miles on them installed and going down the road the car would pull slightly to the left. Came back in scratched our heads said "hmmm" a lot and ended up trying the front tires on opposite sides. No other changes, straight as an arrow! Since then with replaced and new fronts tires still straight as an arrow. The way Porsche engineered their alignment adjustments is really very general and is a far cry from anything precise.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the readout here. He used the factory specs for the 2013 981 S.

There is a difference, since I drove back on the same roads and did not feel any of the pulling I felt before. Again, it was never severe, but I did feel it enough to have the alignment checked.
I went more aggressive with the toe in & camber on my Spyder, and the shop I took it to said it was off from the factory. My car also had 47 miles on it when it arrived at the dealership from Stuggart, so who knows...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts