Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
I searched and couldn't find an answer to my dilema. My dealer is three hours away (one way), I have had two services with them that have been a pleasant experience. Recently I noticed wear on the inside of both front tires, liking my dealer but not wanting to take a six hour trip for an alignment I checked with a local shop to see if they could do the alignment. Much to my surprise the local shop told me they were unable to reset the service lights that would come on after the alignment. Checking with my dealer I was told that the TPS and/or PSM "may" need to be reset. Has any one encountered this? It sounds crazy :(

George
2008 Cayman S
10k miles

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Sounds a little fishy to me. I had an alignment done last week after having Eibach lowering springs installed at a local shop. None of the suspension/tire electronics needed to be reset.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, I have never had an issue with alignments, but hearing a similar story from two different sources had my head spinning.

·
Geek
1,648 Posts
The shop is staffed by idiots. There are no such idiot lights. The car has no sensors that could detect a change in alignment. I did my car myself several times (see the articles under Service). :beer:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. The real concern came when my dealer said the TPMS or PSM "may" need resetting. I did check with another shop who assured me they would have no problems. I did see the article by Slatfatf, but not being that mechanical, and being very good at beer,I instantly saw the downside to that DIY. :beer:

·
Registered
864 Posts
I had an alignment done and at the track, the rear camber adjustment slipped and changed resulting in so much toe in that the steering wheel was about 10 degrees off center going down the straight. This caused the PSM to disable I believe due to steering angle. So there is a connection between alignment and PSM but I would not expect this from a proper alignment. There is no way TPMS could be involved unless the shop switched the position of the wheels from right to left etc. Even if they did this, its no problem for the owner to re-program this using the dash board onboard computer controls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts