Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When last I looked, there were no all seasons available for the 18 inch wheels for the Cayman. I just looked on Tire Rack and found some Goodyear's. For my Driving in Colorado and considering I dont ever Track, this might be a good option. Anyone have any experience with these or similar?
[h=2]

[/h][h=2]GOODYEAR
EAGLE SPORT ALL-SEASON (H- OR V-SPEED RATED)
[/h][h=2]
  • Rear: 265/45R18
  • Sidewall Style: Blackwall
  • Serv. Desc: 101V

For 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman

[/h]
[h=2]GOODYEAR
EAGLE SPORT ALL-SEASON (H- OR V-SPEED RATED)
[/h]
  • Front: 235/45R18
  • Sidewall Style: Blackwall
  • Serv. Desc: 94V

For 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Check and see if Conti DWS or Michelin AS3+ is available in your size. Don't know anything about the GY's.

I don't know if anyone's tried on the 718 yet but going up a size to 245/275 works on the older cars. Might open some options. Tire Rack might be able to verify.

·
Registered
80 Posts
All season tires suck in all seasons.... Summer tires for summer. winter/snows for winter.

Having said that I have heard good things on the Michelin AS/3's. But I wouldn't want to use them year round.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
All season tires suck in all seasons.... Summer tires for summer. winter/snows for winter.

Having said that I have heard good things on the Michelin AS/3's. But I wouldn't want to use them year round.
All season tires on a sports car is highly questionable. Even sporty cars like the S4 are equipped with summer tires. All season tires are a great choice for appliances like Toyota or Honda models.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

Either would I, but I am reconsidering my adamant opposition to AS tires. Because the summer tires are not recommended at temperatures below 7 C, I am putting the winter tires on early and leaving them on late, with the result that my rears are gone after two winters, and probably less than 8,000 km. The soft compound gets gobbled up by bare pavement, which is what we get for most of the year, including winter. I am considering AS instead of winter tires, and simply not using the Cayman if there is any snow on the ground. I tend to leave the Porsche at home on snow days anyhow, as I would rather my other car get creamed by the knob that thinks he can stop quickly because he has an SUV.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Either would I, but I am reconsidering my adamant opposition to AS tires. Because the summer tires are not recommended at temperatures below 7 C, I am putting the winter tires on early and leaving them on late, with the result that my rears are gone after two winters, and probably less than 8,000 km. The soft compound gets gobbled up by bare pavement, which is what we get for most of the year, including winter. I am considering AS instead of winter tires, and simply not using the Cayman if there is any snow on the ground. I tend to leave the Porsche at home on snow days anyhow, as I would rather my other car get creamed by the knob that thinks he can stop quickly because he has an SUV.
I agree with you about leaving the car at home on snowy days. When I lived in Kentucky I always worried about getting caught out by surprise when rain turns to ice or snow quickly. It is hard to do (and I am glad I don't live in the north anymore) but I would just park the Cayman for those months to keep it out of the salt, etc.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I beg to differ with some of the posts here. You don't need winter tires unless you plan to drive in snow. If where you live you have a good deal of very cold and rain then all season tires are the right choice. I do agree they will not perform the same as summer tires but you usually don't drive the same when its 35 F out as you might when it is 70F out. If you plan to drive in the snow, my humble suggestion is Don't! It won't be fun, you have no ground clearance. I do agree you should call tire rack or your local Porsche dealer to ask what they suggest. I now the 718 went a 1/2 inch wider on the rear rims so yea that might be an issue in terms of selection. I'm sure your Colorado dealer will have a suggestion for you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think the OP was asking about AS for year round use. For winter and cold maybe they would be a good choice if you know you would never be out in icy or snowy weather. I just wouldn't want to my car's performance to be limited drastically by using AS tires.
I used to drive my 993 year round and in the winter I had a separate set of wheels with snow tires. If the weather looked good for a few weeks I would put the summer tires on. I could switch out wheels/tires in 30 minutes or so.

To the OP maybe get a second set of wheels, 19's for summer tires, the 18's for your winter or AS tires.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Cayman is my daily driver and other than the occasional fun stomp on the pedal, I dont really do anything that warrants summer performance tires. I do plan on getting snows for the winter, but we get the random snowstorm as late as May that can catch you off guard. And i have been stuck out in the snow on summers. It is a death wish. Even some types of wet conditions really make summer performance tires scare me. I was thinking more along the line of all seasons for most of the year and dedicated snows for nov-april. Not to mention all seasons can ride a little quieter depending on the brand. thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the Michelin pilot sport as3 on my 135 and I thought they had better performance than the summer pilots and the continentals that proceeded them. Very predictable and consistent even when temp < 40 degrees. Never drove in snow but excellent in wet conditions.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
If you plan to drive in the snow, my humble suggestion is Don't! It won't be fun, you have no ground clearance.
Wrong! Caymans are an absolute riot in the snow. You can drift the back end at low speeds and have all sorts of fun. Agreed that once the snow is more than 4-5 inches deep you tend to plow, but until then it is a giggle. I just don't like the way some people drive in that weather.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check and see if Conti DWS or Michelin AS3+ is available in your size. Don't know anything about the GY's.

I don't know if anyone's tried on the 718 yet but going up a size to 245/275 works on the older cars. Might open some options. Tire Rack might be able to verify.
Particularly since 718s use half-inch wider wheels as OEM than the 987s at nearly every model and wheel-size level, 245/275s are a distinct probability. Unfortunately, Tire Rack still does not have the 718 in its database, which is why I partially why posted a basic aftermarket wheel-fitment guide for 718s in the Wheels subforum. Yes, fitment should be similar -- though the real question is how and if 245/275 sidewall profiles will work on OEM 718 wheels.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Particularly since 718s use half-inch wider wheels as OEM than the 987s at nearly every model and wheel-size level, 245/275s are a distinct probability. Unfortunately, Tire Rack still does not have the 718 in its database, which is why I partially why posted a basic aftermarket wheel-fitment guide for 718s in the Wheels subforum. Yes, fitment should be similar -- though the real question is how and if 245/275 sidewall profiles will work on OEM 718 wheels.
The 718 is in the database for stock tire sizes. That is where i got the information from.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The 718 is in the database for stock tire sizes. That is where i got the information from.
But it's not in its database for wheel sizes. That could create an issue for the reasons I stated above. 245/275 tires will have a different profile shape on a half-inch-wider wheel -- less concave than on the 987 stock wheels, yes, but still different.

That Tire Rack hasn't yet determined fitments for even the OEM 718 wheels means there could be clearance issues for both wheels AND tires that didn't exist with the 987. One thing we do know: 718 'S' models can't wear 18" OEM wheels because of the bigger brakes it inherited from the 991.1 911 Turbo. Yes, 987 OEM fitments work with the 718. That doesn't mean a thing, however, regarding the upsizing of tire width on 718s. There very well may be narrower clearances to the inner fender or to the shock towers that we -- and Tire Rack -- aren't aware of yet through measurement.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Wrong! Caymans are an absolute riot in the snow. You can drift the back end at low speeds and have all sorts of fun. Agreed that once the snow is more than 4-5 inches deep you tend to plow, but until then it is a giggle. I just don't like the way some people drive in that weather.
I've had beaters to drive in the snow for the last four decades, and they were a ball to drive, regardless of the height of the snow. ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Way too much info for my level lol...i just wanna put all seasons on my existing wheels. Once you guys start talking about fitments, spacers or any of that, i just get a glossed over look in my eyes and start nodding. :) my idea of a mod is installing a radar detector, dash cams and i got REALLY nuts and had my trim wrapped. And THAT folks is where my bravery ends.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I do the opposite plan with summer tires and All Seasons for cold weather. I had to run my All Seasons (Conti DWS) longer this year waiting on the PS4S to become available and the main issue I had was too easy to chirp the tired leaving from a stop, but I don't really push to the edge of traction of even A/S tires on public streets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.