Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger...Is this an accurate depiction of what comes in the kit?

Transparency Plastic bag Plastic

Registered
Did you ever see the movie The Running Man with Lawrence Olivia and Dustin Hoffman? I look at you photo and I can hear the sound of the dentist drill, "Is it safe?" lol. Good luck.

Premium Member
That was Marathon Man.

Premium Member

Premium Member
Incorrect. The switches are not interchangeable between Boxster and Cayman - see if you can work out why.
All the switches in the (canbus) console are functional, they just have a blanking plate.

The kit, unfortunately, only comes as a complete package, with the plastic "light pipes", silk-screened buttons, chrome dividers and console.

You just use the button and light pipe on your current console and get the function activated by dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reactions: Rokmor

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Registered
All the switches in the (canbus) console are functional, they just have a blanking plate.

The kit, unfortunately, only comes as a complete package, with the plastic "light pipes", silk-screened buttons, chrome dividers and console.

You just use the button and light pipe on your current console and get the function activated by dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you sure? I was pretty sure that it's not just a case of putting the correct silk screened button on and coding it. I thought the consoles delivered with a new car were hard coded and could not be reprogrammed. The new switch console was required as this new switch is fully programmable.

Also Cayman and the Boxster switch consoles are not interchangeable.

Premium Member
Are you sure? I was pretty sure that it's not just a case of putting the correct silk screened button on and coding it. I thought the consoles delivered with a new car were hard coded and could not be reprogrammed. The new switch console was required as this new switch is fully programmable.

Also Cayman and the Boxster switch consoles are not interchangeable.

The center console switch panel is generic for 981/991. If you look at the posted picture, it even has a Front/Rear Spoiler deploy button, used only in the 991 Turbo. Then again all this info is from this post: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...e-console-switches-post777240.html#post777240

Registered
The center console switch panel is generic for 981/991. If you look at the posted picture, it even has a Front/Rear Spoiler deploy button, used only in the 991 Turbo. Then again all this info is from this post: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...e-console-switches-post777240.html#post777240
Yes I know the switch is common to 991/981. (Though as said Boxster /= Cayman). but...... if it's simply a case of putting an active button face in rather than a blanking plate (and coding accordingly) why not just supply the button pieces with the PSE kit rather than a whole switch assembly?

This is interesting to me as I have PSE installed (the exhaust) but trying to figure out if I need to buy the switch to have it fully programmed? I have the button faces already (and light guides etc). My understanding was that the switch that comes with the car cannot be reprogrammed, and that's why a new reprogrammable switch is provided with the PSE kit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My understanding was that the switch that comes with the car cannot be reprogrammed, and that's why a new reprogrammable switch is provided with the PSE kit.
This would make sense why they supply the console parts. Anyone know if it matters what position the PSE button goes? The factory is position #2 above the Stop/Start so if I put it there, I assume the PSE button will function as Start/Stop and the Start/Stop will do nothing until coded/programmed at my dealer when the two are reversed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reactions: rchaas

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: Quasimoto
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.