Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member considering a Cayman GTS for delivery in the first half of calendar year 2016 (ideally April). I have been trying to do as much research as possible on the car, but one thing that still is not clear to me is the allocation process. Is there a guide out there on the web that describes it for Porsche? If not, I had come up with several questions:

1. Do allocations come out monthly (per dealer)? Or does a dealer get a certain number of allocations for the year (per model)?
  2. When someone says they have an allocation, does that itself come with a build month for the car? Or is that another step of negotiating -- getting the car built, say, this month vs. in December? And if that is a separate process, what decides that?
  3. How early should one approach the dealer before expected car delivery? 6 months? 12 months?
  4. One of the reasons for my questions is the expected move to turbo engines in MY2017. One post even indicated that the factory is going through a re-tooling in August (I think this year?), which I think is a lot sooner than most expect, and hence "no more or few" allocations for these cars moving forward. So is it too late for a MY2016 GTS (build to spec)? Should I be approaching now for a MY2017 GTS Turbo? I am not against turbo.
Sorry if this has been covered already -- please point me to thread(s) if it had been!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't think anyone can definitively state whether or not GTS allocations will continue into the year, but most reports on this forum suggest that the MY2016 GTS production will be considerably smaller than that for 2015. That, or the demand spiked in increase to more than match the allocations. You might be better off speccing up an S model with what you want. As for 2017, I'm fairly certain there will be no GTS, as Porsche traditionally only offers this trim toward the end of a given model's production.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am a new member considering a Cayman GTS for delivery in the first half of calendar year 2016 (ideally April). I have been trying to do as much research as possible on the car, but one thing that still is not clear to me is the allocation process. Is there a guide out there on the web that describes it for Porsche? If not, I had come up with several questions:

1. Do allocations come out monthly (per dealer)? Or does a dealer get a certain number of allocations for the year (per model)?
  2. When someone says they have an allocation, does that itself come with a build month for the car? Or is that another step of negotiating -- getting the car built, say, this month vs. in December? And if that is a separate process, what decides that?
  3. How early should one approach the dealer before expected car delivery? 6 months? 12 months?
  4. One of the reasons for my questions is the expected move to turbo engines in MY2017. One post even indicated that the factory is going through a re-tooling in August (I think this year?), which I think is a lot sooner than most expect, and hence "no more or few" allocations for these cars moving forward. So is it too late for a MY2016 GTS (build to spec)? Should I be approaching now for a MY2017 GTS Turbo? I am not against turbo.
Sorry if this has been covered already -- please point me to thread(s) if it had been!
You should build your car with your dealer and put the order in now. When you're ready for the car, your dealer will most likely have to look for a dealer that has an allocation for a Cayman GTS and trade something he has for it. My dealer did this three months before I was ready for the car. I think it would be wise to start looking and see what's available to ensure you actually get the car you want. I read a lot about limited allocation availability, but my dealer had no problem finding one for me. Hope this encouraging news is helpful for you. Good luck!

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts

As I understand it, allocations are issued monthly, about 3 months in advance. A real allocation does come with a build-month attached. Customer-spec'd cars usually get built earlier in the month. If you want the car for a certain month, then talking to dealer earlier is better. That way they can attempt to secure an allocation for you without having to negotiate a swap with another dealer. There are 981 GTS builds continuing in Sep and Oct, according to my sales assoc and others on this board who have orders pending. Whether there will be November GTS allocations is subject to speculation. My SA seems to think they will continue to offer GTS for a few more months.

If Porsche follows the pattern of previous model releases, we will start seeing the MY2017 4 cylinder turbos in mid-2016. To me that suggests that MY2016 production will stop in early 2016. I'd say it's unlikely that a GTS trim will be part of the initial MY2017 offering. More likely just a base and an S to leave room for a GTS later in the lifecycle.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Get in there now and get the order in. All the reports from this site are that allocations for GTS's are few and far between.

If you ask your dealer your questions then they should be able to answer them, particularly if you find a sales adviser that is a Porsche Club member or works with the club - they tend to be less 'salesy' and more helpful.

My understanding is that allocations are available to the dealers through the year based on sales volume at that dealer and what Porsche is going to produce.

I would seriously consider speccing up an S to GTS levels as all you miss is the 10-15hp. It will cost a bit more, but the allocations for the S's are available I believe.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Search the forum a bit, I believe a member had a deposited order for a CGTS on an allocation that never materialized. Now whether this was due to the dealer simply not getting an allocation they were expecting or that there are no more GTS order allocations forthcoming I don't know but make sure your dealer confirms before wasting your time. In either case, that dealer took the car order based on an allocation that was not confirmed. When I ordered my BS right after the GTS was announced, my dealer told me that all their allocations for CGTS were taken but they had BGTS slots left. They could not tell me how many more allocations they would be getting for sure, thus could place me on a waiting list if I wanted a CGTS, but could not take an order. This is how it should work, IMHO, then you decide whether to wait for an allocation to become available or not.

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
452 Posts
As I understand it, allocations are issued monthly, about 3 months in advance. A real allocation does come with a build-month attached. Customer-spec'd cars usually get built earlier in the month. If you want the car for a certain month, then talking to dealer earlier is better. That way they can attempt to secure an allocation for you without having to negotiate a swap with another dealer. There are 981 GTS builds continuing in Sep and Oct, according to my sales assoc and others on this board who have orders pending. Whether there will be November GTS allocations is subject to speculation. My SA seems to think they will continue to offer GTS for a few more months.

If Porsche follows the pattern of previous model releases, we will start seeing the MY2017 4 cylinder turbos in mid-2016. To me that suggests that MY2016 production will stop in early 2016. I'd say it's unlikely that a GTS trim will be part of the initial MY2017 offering. More likely just a base and an S to leave room for a GTS later in the lifecycle.

According to my SA, I have a November allocation for my GTS

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot everyone. This is extremely helpful. I unfortunately cannot go to the dealer within the next month, but maybe I'll see if I get any response via email and/or try to get in there as quickly as possible. Just hard for me to believe that, with MY2016s just rolling off the lot, they would already stop taking orders.

I think I will want to get in before the turbo, come to think of it. My current car (VW GTI with an upgraded turbo) probably has more torque, but it isn't all usable. Also, the Cayman in Canada is currently very cheap compared to the U.S. given the exchange rate. I have a feeling their will re-price for 2017 as the low exchange rate is here to stay. Also buying a first-gen motor probably is not a very wise decision.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
From a contact at RL:

Some additional info:

V070 is just a demand for an allocation from a dealer. You are not guaranteed a car and have only requested that you want one.

V200 means Porsche has given your dealer an allocation and fulfilled your request. It stays there if they accept the items you have chosen in your build. If an item, like LWB's etc, gets turned down you will drop to a v170 status and your dealer needs to make changes. You go up from v200 when car goes to body shop etc.

V100- your order entered into the system. Could still be rejected if you select any of the seemingly random currently unavailable options.

V200- order accepted; delivery date (estimate) determined.

V250- vehicle fixed. No more goofing with the configurator and making your SA nuts like I did by changing your build options. Although I understand if you beg for a change after this date you may get it but generally with a delay in delivery.

V260- your car enters assembly

V270- your car exits assembly

V300- your car is considered completed by the factory and now your wait really starts if you are not on the European Continent.

V331- after sitting around at the factory your pride and joy has now arrived at the Port of Edem

V332- after waiting what seems like forever in Edem, your car is hopefully very carefully loaded on a ship bound for the U.S.

U006- after a long trip, stopping on the East Coast first to unload cars for those lucky folks who live there, your car makes it to the Port of San Diego.

U007- after sitting again for a week or two, clearing customs and going through any more required prep/transit repairs, your car leaves San Diego bound for your dealer.

·
Registered
700 Posts
From a contact at RL:

Some additional info:

V070 is just a demand for an allocation from a dealer. You are not guaranteed a car and have only requested that you want one.

V200 means Porsche has given your dealer an allocation and fulfilled your request. It stays there if they accept the items you have chosen in your build. If an item, like LWB's etc, gets turned down you will drop to a v170 status and your dealer needs to make changes. You go up from v200 when car goes to body shop etc.

V100- your order entered into the system. Could still be rejected if you select any of the seemingly random currently unavailable options.

V250- vehicle fixed. No more goofing with the configurator and making your SA nuts like I did by changing your build options. Although I understand if you beg for a change after this date you may get it but generally with a delay in delivery.

V300- your car is considered completed by the factory and now your wait really starts if you are not on the European Continent.

V331- after sitting around at the factory your pride and joy has now arrived at the Port of Edem

V332- after waiting what seems like forever in Edem, your car is hopefully very carefully loaded on a ship bound for the U.S.

U006- after a long trip, stopping on the East Coast first to unload cars for those lucky folks who live there, your car makes it to the Port of San Diego.

U007- after sitting again for a week or two, clearing customs and going through any more required prep/transit repairs, your car leaves San Diego bound for your dealer.
Two V200 statuses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,482 Posts

Welcome!

With all due respect to our US cousins, the build allocation code sheet profiles a US delivery, ours is slightly different, all Canadian cars come into Halifax. The re-tooling is generally in August as this is vacation month in Germany, business as usual, except this time they are also looking at the model refresh to the 981.2 so as the last allocation for the MY16 get built they won't likely be followed with additional allocations, the MY17's are coming!

Adding to what has already been posted in this thread, the GTS is a build out at the end of a model run, not normally a standard offering. So as suggested, you should contact a dealer or two and see if they can get you a GTS if not this is a moot point! All indications are the production of the 2016 981's will end earlier then usual to allow for the change to MY17 and the turbos. If a turbo is fine by you then I would wait, instead of taking delivery of a 2016 next year you can take delivery of a 2017 and enjoy it for a long time before it is considered a year old! ;)

So I think your first choice is MY16 GTS or MY17 S, each provides a different approach. For a MY16 you have to find an allocation first and react to those requirements. For a MY17 you can plan further out and shape a delivery to your needs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome!

With all due respect to our US cousins, the build allocation code sheet profiles a US delivery, ours is slightly different, all Canadian cars come into Halifax. The re-tooling is generally in August as this is vacation month in Germany, business as usual, except this time they are also looking at the model refresh to the 981.2 so as the last allocation for the MY16 get built they won't likely be followed with additional allocations, the MY17's are coming!

Adding to what has already been posted in this thread, the GTS is a build out at the end of a model run, not normally a standard offering. So as suggested, you should contact a dealer or two and see if they can get you a GTS if not this is a moot point! All indications are the production of the 2016 981's will end earlier then usual to allow for the change to MY17 and the turbos. If a turbo is fine by you then I would wait, instead of taking delivery of a 2016 next year you can take delivery of a 2017 and enjoy it for a long time before it is considered a year old! ;)

So I think your first choice is MY16 GTS or MY17 S, each provides a different approach. For a MY16 you have to find an allocation first and react to those requirements. For a MY17 you can plan further out and shape a delivery to your needs.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. Yep, am aware of Halifax -- my GTI came through there as well. Was a fun wait!

I reached out to a dealer, who will check Monday for allocations. Trouble is I can't take delivery this calendar year -- it needs to be early next year. I guess a build date of November (as mentioned in this thread) would be pretty good for that. After giving it more thought, I probably do not want a turbo -- not because it is a turbo, but because it will be the first run.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I reached out to a dealer, who will check Monday for allocations. Trouble is I can't take delivery this calendar year -- it needs to be early next year. I guess a build date of November (as mentioned in this thread) would be pretty good for that. After giving it more thought, I probably do not want a turbo -- not because it is a turbo, but because it will be the first run.
Last year I ordered my BS at the end of March and it was delivered to the dealer at the end of August. That was a five-month order to delivery process. If I were you, I would grab the first CGTS allocation possible and place your order. I doubt you would take delivery before the first of the year. Of course your sales advisor can hopefully give you the information. I say hopefully because sometimes they aren't always the most informed. If you wait much longer I imagine those allocations will be long gone.

I think some members have already mentioned their November bill dates. A car built in Germany in November doesn't get to the North American sure typically until at least a month later at the earliest. By now the biuld dates are probably already being pushed into December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Do allocations come out monthly (per dealer)? Or does a dealer get a certain number of allocations for the year (per model)?
Westcoaster is correct. Canada is different than the US. See http://porschecentrecalgary.com/Ordering-a-Porsche-911-Part-II-Allocation-and-Production/1041/blog.php

When someone says they have an allocation, does that itself come with a build month for the car? Or is that another step of negotiating -- getting the car built, say, this month vs. in December? And if that is a separate process, what decides that?
That depends. Some people have no real understanding of the process. Some do. Who knows. Who knows what dealers tell customers. Ask to see the schedule sheet from their system.

How early should one approach the dealer before expected car delivery? 6 months? 12 months?
Can't say. CA is not the US. See #1. Their allocation system could be different. Talk to your dealer.

One of the reasons for my questions is the expected move to turbo engines in MY2017. One post even indicated that the factory is going through a re-tooling in August (I think this year?), which I think is a lot sooner than most expect, and hence "no more or few" allocations for these cars moving forward. So is it too late for a MY2016 GTS (build to spec)? Should I be approaching now for a MY2017 GTS Turbo? I am not against turbo.
As others have mentioned, don't plan on a 981.2 GTS. GTS cars for the sports cars are traditionally end of a production cycle attempt to boost sales, get rid of inventory, etc. a MY16 GTS. Sure. End of cycle car. Just as the 991.1 GTS came out in MY15/16, doubtful there will be a 991.2 GTS in the Spring.

If you wait for a 981.2S, it will likely be just as fast as a 981.1GTS. Tech moves forward and previous generations are slower.

With all due respect to our US cousins, the build allocation code sheet profiles a US delivery, ours is slightly different, all Canadian cars come into Halifax. ... the GTS is a build out at the end of a model run, not normally a standard offering.
This is correct. For the Great White North, all cars go to Halifax first. For the OP, I suggest you read this because it might be different than the US http://porschecentrecalgary.com/Ordering-a-Porsche-911-Part-II-Allocation-and-Production/1041/blog.php

From a contact at RL:
Good Info Rob.

For anyone looking to track their car, first they should go here and find the schedule The PWL Group Choose select VW Logistics and find your ship. Then go here Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic and you can track it near land.

Rob I added some other points along the way below in blue that were on were on my sheet.

U000 – Stop at Davisville

NA10 PDI

NA19 PDI Done

V810 Monroney printed

U001 Exit Davisville

For West Coast

O400 Dealer Invoiced

V900 Dealer Inventoried

V999 Retail Sold

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Looks like your questions have been answered... but as I notice you're from Toronto, I'll throw in a bit of advice.

Don't limit yourself only to the 3 GTA dealers. When you're ready to order, do yourself a favour and call Tim Bamford at Porsche of London. A few of us now have dealt with him and he's a great SA. If you search here, you can read all about my experience. Hell, tell him Weasel sent you. :D

Reactions: f00kie

·
Registered
737 Posts
Looks like your questions have been answered... but as I notice you're from Toronto, I'll throw in a bit of advice.

Don't limit yourself only to the 3 GTA dealers. When you're ready to order, do yourself a favour and call Tim Bamford at Porsche of London. A few of us now have dealt with him and he's a great SA. If you search here, you can read all about my experience. Hell, tell him Weasel sent you. :D
+1. And add my name to that reference. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A dealer I reached out to (not Tim from above) let me know that they don't have any allocations right now, but that they should receive some in October for a January/February production date. All that's needed is a $5K deposit. Will need to consider my personal situation before I commit. But that is probably the latest production that anybody has implied so far for a GTS. I would imagine April is the beginning of MY17?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts