Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted a inquiry about 2 weeks ago regarding my interest in the boxter 2013-2015 models as I have been a bmw owner for over 20 years and was very impressed with the boxter, I used to think that it was a over priced car and used to laugh at the commercials "there is no substitute" but had a reality check when I drove the boxter and boxter S
So I want to thank the people who have given me guidance and advice.
Within the past two weeks....
I wanted to get a used boxter s for around 55K but the wife says she wants me to to get a car that I love not like.

So I have a lead on a 2015 gts for $85560 about 7% off 92K msrp red and dark blue exterior with all the good/fun options.

Is this a good deal or should I just get a boxter S 2014 not 2015 which is basically the same optioned car as the gts 82K msrp and getting it at 70K which is 14.7% discount

I am thinking about depreciation over the next 5 years?

Both cars are new on dealer lots and have the same options red interior and dark blue exterior.

Both cars are convertibles and are not punched thus 4 year warranty at drive off

Thank you again I look forward to being a member...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well do you want a convertible or a hard top? Do you want a more track oriented car or road performance? The two cars to me are apples and oranges. The deal on the Boxster S sounds very good. Both cars will depreciate, but probably the GTS slightly less, but then again, there may be more demand for a used Boxster is excellent condition, so it may be a toss-up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is the warranty on the 2014 already been started? That's something to think about, most dealer will advertise car as new but the warranty has already been "punched", so you may have a new car with less warranty. I found this out when I was shopping for a Cayman, list was $69K discounted to $62K warranty started 6 months ago. I ended up doing a custom build as the discount was not enough to justify the warranty period and the fact it was on the lot that thing (lots of test drives,etc).

If it was not demo I would save the 15K and get the 2014. 7% off a GTS is a good deal, most are getting 3% off GTS custom builds. I think you'll love the car either way though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So spend $70K for a 2014 BS or $85K for 2015 GTS. If they are optioned exactly the same (wheels, x73, PSE, etc) I would save the $15K and use that towards track time. Depreciation in 5 years will take a hit since both cars look to be well optioned $92K GTS and $82K MSRP BS, the options usually return little to no value.

Have you thought about custom build? If you want to get a car you'll love why not have one custom built with exactly what you want.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Actually both cars are built with more options than I need and excite me enough that I dont have to and also want to wait 3-4 months.
Also my gts build is 84K is basically the same price of the GTS after their discount, as for the Boxter S, my build is more than what they are offering for the car.

in short I dont want to wait while I am excited.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I posted a inquiry about 2 weeks ago regarding my interest in the boxter 2013-2015 models as I have been a bmw owner for over 20 years and was very impressed with the boxter, I used to think that it was a over priced car and used to laugh at the commercials "there is no substitute" but had a reality check when I drove the boxter and boxter S
So I want to thank the people who have given me guidance and advice.
Within the past two weeks....
I wanted to get a used boxter s for around 55K but the wife says she wants me to to get a car that I love not like.

So I have a lead on a 2015 gts for $85560 about 7% off 92K msrp red and dark blue exterior with all the good/fun options.

Is this a good deal or should I just get a boxter S 2014 not 2015 which is basically the same optioned car as the gts 82K msrp and getting it at 70K which is 14.7% discount
I'd go for same car for 12K cheaper car and spend the difference on the road trips, enjoying driving, not thinking about depreciation ! :cheers:

And even if thinking about depreciation - you are not going to make 12K more in 5 years on 1year newer car. It'll be all about the condition of the car. Even options don't matter mach.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree with T-Design. If you are worried about depreciation, if you get the S, you just saved $12k so depreciation will be that much less if you ever decide to sell it. Plus, the S will probably be easier to live with on a daily basis; easier ingress/egress from the seats for you and your wife.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'd go with the '14. It's a better deal, and it sounds like you be equally happy with either car.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The GTS has the symposer; many folks love that. Do you? And, look carefully at the available options before you leap. You don't want to regret missing one you learn about later.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'm in agreement with the above. The GTS is an awesome car if you want that standard equipment and the options it has. If they are what I would guess they typically are, I'm going for the GTS every time. Just make sure you understand what each has before you make the final decision. I watch the market carefully, and there are not a lot of Boxster S that excite me like the average Boxster GTS, assuming you can get a nice discount like that on the GTS. I have seen a few new Boxster S that were loaded to the max with awesome discounts. One of those would certainly grab my attention.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok I am sold and going to do two things, speak to the dealer about the 2014 model
I will also take look for heavily optioned cars quickly
I already have buyer for my bmw, so the objective is to close a deal by the end of the month.
Interestingly I got a call from two dealers that said we can find you any car you want, for some reason dealerships seem to be getting nervous about their inventory.
maybe because porsche has some new incentives for dealer to liquidate? or maybe some dealers have realized that sales are always slower during an election year? I am saying this because the Sales manager at one or the porsche dealers told me this today.

Thank you again for advice and guidance
FYI I am 43 years old and own a IT consulting firm, so am pretty good are filtering out liars and am also good with numbers. Unfortunately I have a mba degree which make me think too much sometimes and leave out emotions in my negotiations.

·
Registered
351 Posts
One comment: the Boxster is, by definition, a convertible, so you never need to say a Boxster convertible. All Boxsters are. The hardtop version is the Cayman.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good point as a New member just trying to be more clear looking forward to using terms like BS for boxer s

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
GTS is nothing special, it depreciates the same as a Boxster S right now, so if you can wait, it'll be much cheaper in the winter. But if you can't wait, the GTS is not $15K better than the Boxster S.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
evening update, put a deposit down on a 2015 gts 3 hours ago, car was 8 K more than the boxer S I was interested in but Mainline gave me a deal I though was very good and within my 78K budget (before tax), what sold me is that the GTS had the GTS interior package with red stitching on black/suede seats. bought from mainline porsche in the philly area. Thank you for all the guidance. Picking up car next weekend somehow. feel free to message me if you want to deal with a very professional and straight forward manager.
thanks
Bip
Pittsburgh, PA

·
Registered
895 Posts
Congrats!

Post pix when you can.

Eddie

evening update, put a deposit down on a 2015 gts 3 hours ago, car was 8 K more than the boxer S I was interested in but Mainline gave me a deal I though was very good and within my 78K budget (before tax), what sold me is that the GTS had the GTS interior package with red stitching on black/suede seats. bought from mainline porsche in the philly area. Thank you for all the guidance. Picking up car next weekend somehow. feel free to message me if you want to deal with a very professional and straight forward manager.
thanks
Bip
Pittsburgh, PA

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club!!!!

thanks
Bip
Pittsburgh, PA

1 - 19 of 19 Posts