Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to pick up my 09 Cayman base this afternoon and for some reason I couldnt get comfortable in the seats. They are the standard leather sport seats and the dealer and I did about 30mins of adjustments but I always ended up feeling like I was sitting in a check mark.

Has anyone else gone through this? My first thought, and his, was that because I am coming from a Honda Accord and a Nissan Xterra, I am more used to sitting in a seat like setting rather than a driving setting. My biggest issue was with my left leg, it always felt like it was either on the steering wheel or too close to it, and thats with the seat all the way down.

Just looking to see if I am absolutely nuts or if others might have gone through this.

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
How tall are you? I am a little over 6' tall and I am comfortable in my seat. I don't have much extra room, but I am comfortable. One thing I realized was that the seat goes back a little further if it is adjusted a little higher--the back of the cabin is slanted. Between the seat adjustments and the tilt and telescoping steering wheel, you should be able to find the right spot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
ouch thats tough, I am 6'2'' and I can get comfy, I don't have an issue with the steering wheel and my left knee at all. The only real trouble I have is that its tight to extend my legs fully. Although I get get thre between the clutch and the brake pedel during really long drives. I have my seat all the way back, not leaned back far at all, and the seat all the way down.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, thats the thing, I am only 5'11". I have pretty big legs though and I dont know if thats what is causing the problem or not. Seems like something really silly to be a deal breaker though.

Oddly enough, we used the Cayenne to see how comfortable I was and of course, it felt great. So I think there is something to the fact that it might just be me needing to get used to the seating. But now that my wife has seen the Cayenne, it may spell the end of the Cayman :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I sat in an 06 CS two days ago with the seat all the way down. I found the driver's window abnormally high when I did that. I am 6'2", 180 pounds, big brain, long legs, 34" inseam, 36" waist.

The car was in the showroom. I emailed the dealer this morning for him to take it out of the showroom, let me fool a bit with the seat (jack it up two or three cranks) and let me drive it. He never answered so I figure it's his day off. The car is still listed on their site.

I can't make a decision until I drive it.

You are not nuts. I need a few inches more left legroom. It is not a roomy car. A few sharp turns might make you forget.

Now you know why there are so many of these cars with low miles. Between the suspension and the cockpit room, some folks get disillusioned. It's a genuine sports car.

The first Cayman I ever sat in was tough. Then the dealer let me sit in a 911-better, but still not roomy. Then the guy gave up and brought me next door and put me in a 2009 GTI-that was the best. But nothing beats my 2007 328i for comfort-with premium package lumbar support, sport seats and plenty of rear travel.

People want to own the best, they have to sacrifice a little, I guess.

Sorry to hear it may not work out for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well they are going to let me have the car on Saturday to mess with it as much as I like. They told me to put a few miles on it to see if I get more comfortable as I drive it around.

I'm hoping its more of a problem with me than the car, but you're right, it is a sports car, not a sedan and so it might just take some time, some sacrifice or both.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Well they are going to let me have the car on Saturday to mess with it as much as I like. They told me to put a few miles on it to see if I get more comfortable as I drive it around.

I'm hoping its more of a problem with me than the car, but you're right, it is a sports car, not a sedan and so it might just take some time, some sacrifice or both.
That's great. I wish my dealer would offer to do that. I would be "away" the entire day. No doubt about it.

That's a dealer who wants to sell a car. More of them should do that.

I hope I'm not offending anybody here, but after sitting in the CS in the showroom, my 328i never felt so good. Maybe I'm finding out I'm not that "dedicated".

·
Registered
209 Posts
Back in the day I worked for BMW right out of HS for about 3 years. During that time there were always comparison between BMW and Porsche from customers. Years later as I had many different cars from sedans to sport cars I understand why there was always that discussion. BMW's are great sports sedans but a Porsche is a true sports car. There is a big difference and many people don't really see it until test drives or after a car is already purchased.

You have to decide what is more important to you. I had an 07' Infinity G35S sedan, great car, great interior, great ride but I had a 06' STI that I sold for the G35S, and after about 3 months found the G35 boring and really missed the STI. I sold the Infinity and bought an 08' STI that I absolutely love. I missed the less than smooth ride, the less than perfect seats etc.... I learn what was important to me in a car and the sport cars were what I wanted. I like the ruff around the edges feel, less refined and yes sometimes uncomfortable seats and ride. I will be keeping my STI as my DD and the Spyder I have on order will be my weekend sunny day car :). At this point in my life I wouldn't have it any other way.

pcw

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Aquired Taste

Then the guy gave up and brought me next door and put me in a 2009 GTI-that was the best.
I bought a new 2007 GTI and owned it for 129 days before trading that horrid, evil car away. Nice torque, good interior, and it cruised down the highway at 80 mph like a million bucks (like a good German car should) but it was a completely detached driving experience and the electronics, traction control and rattles were so bad that I couldn't live with the car anymore.

Porsche's sports cars (the 911 and Boxster/Cayman) are not comfortable cars in the way that we Americans think of comfort. They are not roomy like domestic cars and the bread and butter Accord/Altima/Camry setups and definitely don't ride cushy or have a living room chair feel to their seats. But, sit in that Boxster or 911 for 4 hours driving some back roads and you'll never go back to the way domestic and Japanese sedans are set up again if you enjoy driving. German car seating and ride quality is an aquired taste and you need to get some seat time in these cars to really appreciate how they are setup for really one purpose. Driving.

Don't give up just yet!

Jay
08 987
90 964
84 911

·
Registered
119 Posts

I bought a new 2007 GTI and owned it for 129 days before trading that horrid, evil car away. Nice torque, good interior, and it cruised down the highway at 80 mph like a million bucks (like a good German car should) but it was a completely detached driving experience and the electronics, traction control and rattles were so bad that I couldn't live with the car anymore.
I bought my son a GTI in 2004 and had the same issues with rattles, it was just unbearable. We finally got rid of it for an Audi A4 which was pretty good.
I have found the Cayman seats to be exceptionally comfortable and my fiancee also loves them. Funny how anatomical differences equate to such unique experiences in comfort. Spend some time in the car and see how things go; interesting that you are looking at a Cayman and a Cayenne since they are radically different vehicles. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trust me, the Cayenne wasnt even on the list. While we were there the salesman was just using it as a point of consideration. My wife absolutely hates sports cars, in fact, she wont even sit in a parked Porsche in the showroom. But, once she saw the Cayenne, she was all for a different route of purchase heh.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Now you know why there are so many of these cars with low miles. Between the suspension and the cockpit room, some folks get disillusioned. It's a genuine sports car.
Actually I think so many are low miles because it is pretty common for a porsche to be a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th car in a household. It is a 4th car in my house with only 2 drivers. I don't know the exact percentage but I bet over half of us here have at least 1 or 2 other sets of wheels.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Trust me, the Cayenne wasnt even on the list. While we were there the salesman was just using it as a point of consideration. My wife absolutely hates sports cars, in fact, she wont even sit in a parked Porsche in the showroom. But, once she saw the Cayenne, she was all for a different route of purchase heh.
I see a lot of Cayennes in town, and I'd wager 99% are driven by women. Women just love SUV's and I'd guess their husbands wanted a Porsche sports car and ended up with an SUV as a compromise.
I was one of the 5000 that had a Volkswagen R32 when they were introduced. Owned it a year. The bolsters on the seats, the 19" wheels and harsh suspension finally did me in. That car was fast and handled pretty well, but the comfort level for me was a 5 out of 10.
If she is going to need to drive the Cayman at all and won't even sit in it now, you are toast. And if you have to force yourself to be comfortable, I'd skip it and move on to another car or buy the Cayenne.

·
Registered
69 Posts
But, sit in that Boxster or 911 for 4 hours driving some back roads and you'll never go back to the way domestic and Japanese sedans are set up again
Totally agree. I've found the same and we have a Boxster (Sports Seats) and a CS (Standard Seats). For the first little bit, you're not sure, but then it all just works.

It's odd, but 4 hrs in a luxury SUV just kills my back, but for some reason these basic, firm chairs in the sportier cars just work for me. If I get in a domestic vehicle of any kind, I feel like I'm immersed in Jello.

But then, I even like those sport buckets...;)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Interesting comments, thanks goodness I have convinced my wife of the value of supportive seats. It was made even more apparent last week when we were rear ended in our Cayenne GTS those sports ( almost identical to the adaptive sport seats) save us from any injury and we were hit hard directly in the rear by a Suberban. the impact was so great that all his airbags deployed. Our Cayenne was drivable and only rear panels need replacing. Porsche seats are made by Recaro and they us orthopedic Drs as consultants for the design. We have the adaptive sport seats in our Carrera S and have drive it for 12 hours a day on trips with no issue. I was happy when during the order process for our 2010 base Cayman my wife agreed to the sport bucket seats. Now all that said, we are both 67, My wife is 5'2" and 110 (that's what I'm allowed to say) and I'm 5'9" and 160. Additionally, I have a low back issue because of three missing discs. Porsche seats are the best in my book. Keep fiddling with the adjustments. There are far more adjustments on the Adaptive sport seats then any other. Good luck and Merry Christmas

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
My biggest issue was with my left leg, it always felt like it was either on the steering wheel or too close to it, and thats with the seat all the way down.
I'm assuming you also adjusted the steering wheel. Am I correct? If the wheel is all the way down and all the way forward, it can crowd your legs.

My wife absolutely hates sports cars, in fact, she wont even sit in a parked Porsche in the showroom.
Question for you. Is this your first real sport car? In a true sport car you want to sit in a cockpit that snugly holds you in place during high lateral G forces. Many Caymans (mine included) are used on race tracks to learn performance driving. In this environment, the cockpit like seating and control position of the Cayman is pretty effective.

More serious track enthusiasts will rip out the stock seats and replace them with fixed position racing buckets and five point harnesses. In these cars you are so pinned in that you need to unbuckle your belts if you need to lift your a-- to pass gas.

Why are you considering a sport car? How do you intend to use it?

Actually I think so many are low miles because it is pretty common for a Porsche to be a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th car in a household. It is a 4th car in my house with only 2 drivers. I don't know the exact percentage but I bet over half of us here have at least 1 or 2 other sets of wheels.
Not only are most Caymans 2nd or 3rd cars, they are often fine weather cars. Few of them are used 12 months out of the year (where there is winter). Heck, I know some Cayman owners who brag that their car has never been out in the rain.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Having owned 3-series BMWs before my CS, I would agree that the seating in the Bimmers is considerably more comfortable. However, even then, I wished for seating more like that in the Porsche during "spirited" driving. Being 6' tall, I too would appreciate it if there were a couple of more inches of leg room but have found that not having the seat all the way back allowing the seat back to be reclined slightly makes for a comfortable driving position. I should note that I have the standard leather seats. I do find that when choosing a parking space I try to select so that I can open the door fully in order that I can swing both legs out before exiting. Entering, I sit down and then swing both legs in. Returning from Croctoberfest earlier this year, I drove about 18hours straight (with occasional pitstops) and can honestly say that I did not have issues with legs cramping, sore butt, etc. In fact, I was quite surprised how comfortable the trip actually was. With all this and earlier postings having been said, YOU as the driver have to be comfortable. Have fun with your extended test drive!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Actually I think so many are low miles because it is pretty common for a porsche to be a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th car in a household. It is a 4th car in my house with only 2 drivers. I don't know the exact percentage but I bet over half of us here have at least 1 or 2 other sets of wheels.
This would make a good new thread or poll.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Porsche's sports cars (the 911 and Boxster/Cayman) are not comfortable cars in the way that we Americans think of comfort. They are not roomy like domestic cars and the bread and butter Accord/Altima/Camry setups and definitely don't ride cushy or have a living room chair feel to their seats. But, sit in that Boxster or 911 for 4 hours driving some back roads and you'll never go back to the way domestic and Japanese sedans are set up again if you enjoy driving. German car seating and ride quality is an aquired taste and you need to get some seat time in these cars to really appreciate how they are setup for really one purpose. Driving.

Don't give up just yet!

Jay
08 987
90 964
84 911
I e-mailed my sales guy yesterday morning to remove the 2006 CS I'm interested in from the showroom so I can at least drive it. He has yet to get back to me. I have not been enjoying any positive dealer experiences. I haven't as yet given up. However, I'm not going to hop a plane somewhere to buy a Cayman if I haven't been able to at least drive one locally and see how the total experience feels.

The Cayman would be a second car. We have a 2008 VW Rabbit for anxiety-free mall parking. I would trade the 328i.

I just e-mailed the sales guy's Blackberry. The car is still listed in inventory. I asked to drive any Cayman already on the lot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 928S4 seats are more confortable than the adaptive sport seats in my CS, mainly due to the fact that there is more space for sideward leg movement, and slightly more padding in the seats. I am large and I find that my right leg has restricted movement in the CS. That said I drove from Las Vegas to Albuquerque in one setting of about 8 hours, and apart from the above mentioned restriction, the drive was very comfortable with no back related issues.
You can make it work.............................

1 - 20 of 46 Posts