Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sympathies to those of you on the east coast. Your weather has been brutal. But out here in the west, we've been blessed with fabulous weather (I'm not rubbing it in, really). My plan had been to keep the CS under wraps until mid-March or April and get it out when the weather turned consistently better. But after nearly a month of nice weather here in Oregon, I just couldn't wait any longer.

This morning, I whipped off the car cover, unplugged the trickle charger, topped off the tire pressure and fired the car up . . . and instantly remembered why I love this car. The sound was thrilling but actually getting the car out on the road was even better. Took the long way in to work and, given the gorgeous weather outside, I may just leave early and take the even longer way home! My spring/summer/fall drive time has begun! Nearly 2 months ahead of schedule and I couldn't be happier.

Here's hoping the east coasters get a break and can enjoy their Porsches sooner, rather than later.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Just for today; I hate you. :D

Incidentally... topped off the tire pressure? I'm gonna have to lower mine before I drive it... :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, sorry Weasel.

The car has been in my unheated, but insulated garage since late-November and I was surprised to only have to add about a pound of air pressure to each tire. The temp in the garage stays consistently in the 60-62 range in the winter and in the 68-70 range in the summer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The top has been down for probably over 50% of my rides throughout this winter. Mornings are a bit chilly, but afternoons and evenings are wonderful. Not good for our water situation out here in California, but beautiful open top driving weather.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks in part to the miracles performed by the men and women at tirerack.com, we snow babies don't have to suffer from the pangs of withdrawal for 4 months of the year

SottoZero's FTW. :D

- b

·
Registered
810 Posts
With a good set of snow tires, these are as much an all-season car as any other on the road. Personally, I prefer to DD my Dunlop ZIIs all year round, and am lucky enough to live in a climate I can (usually) do so. Everything shuts down here when it snows anyway, so little risk there. I mean, 3" of snow Monday shut down all the area schools for an entire week! I happen to have snow tires on right now (they came with the car, might as well use 'em) and have been driving with no complaints aside from these tires really suck compared to "real" tires when it's warm and dry.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The OP makes an interesting and valid point--winter weather here in Oregon (at least here in Portland) has, apparently unlike the rest of planet earth, been getting consistently better, meaning both warmer and with noticeably more sunshine. It still ain't Arizona, but our winters are getting better. A bit off topic, but to show how ideology can put blinders on people, we've lived in places with many people on the political extremes--Texas on the right, and Portland on the left. In Texas we encountered people who were still denying all the scientific evidence that the climate is changing and humans are partly responsible. Here's the kicker: here in Portland, we've run across people on the other political extreme who keep denying that, unlike most places, OUR winters are getting better. (Unquestionably they are. In the last couple of weeks, e.g., on average we've missed the all-time historic high temperatures by about 2 degrees and have exceeded normal highs by about 7 degrees, and broken a couple of records to boot.) We had sunshine yesterday. We have sunshine today. The weather report calls for sunshine tomorrow. We're expected to have sunshine the day after that. Most Portlanders remember a time when that kind of string of consecutive sunshine days in the winter virtually never occurred.

Punch line: ideology of any kind can shield people from any reality they don't want to accept. Perhaps a lesson for us all . . .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those of you who drive in snow, I presume you only drive after the roads have been plowed? The air dam clearance is only about 3 inches, any deeper snow and it seems like the 987s will start plowing. Is that about right? I don't have snow tires - wouldn't be worth it here in the northwest. If the weather gets snowy/icy, I've got an Acura MDX with snow tires that will walk through nearly everything. That's my nasty weather beast.

Yep, 2015CS, this has been a really mild winter. I drove up to Portland today and saw a lot of sports cars out and about. Seems a lot of other folks had the same thought I did this week: If the weather is so good, why am I keeping my car inside? I'm glad I got the CS out; makes me believe spring is really here!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts