Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a ticket for the AMLS race at Laguna this coming weekend. As new-bee fan, I plan to be there just Saturday afternoon before and during the main 4-hour race. I do have Porsche Corral parking.

So, anything of interest to watch?

Looking at the list of entries, I see 3 911 GT# RSRs in the GT class and the entire GTC class is composed of 10 911 GT3 Cup cars. No Caymans are entered.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The GT class is serious, there the new BMW Z4s are hot, the Ferraris tend to do well, the Vipers have been showing fangs lately, unfortunately the GT3 RSRs just barely keep up. The only Cayman is running in the Rolex Series in the GX Class, BGB Motorsports. They've been fighting back the Mazda factory effort through Speedsource Racing, it's looking like Mazda's deep pockets are taking a toll on the budget limited BGB effort. Porsche should really step in and help.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Porsche corral:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The paddock:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Nice! The NGT team is based out of South FL. The 924 turbo with the checkered black and white interior brings back memories. The first 924 I ever saw had that interior, ditto with the 928.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The race:

I spent race time (4 hours) wondering around the facility - mostly trying to walk around the complete track from the inside and find new places to watch from. I managed to get from turn 2 to turn 10, but not the straight section between turns 11 and 2. That area was blocked by the main stands and the grid from the inside and I did not have time to get to the outside to find a place to watch.

From where I was watching, I was not really able to follow the race. (It will be on ESPN2 Sunday afternoon and my DVR is set.) Results may be found here (at the time of this posting at least). I could hear snippets from the PA and could check my iPad for updated results. I heard about guys off the track and yellow flags and contact, but did not see any of that from where ever I was.

But it was great fun just to watch close up and the sounds were incredible (though I was close enough I needed ear protection.)

About 2 hours in, my iPhone bat was about gone from taking pix and so I returned it to the car to charge and then went for a "Corkscrew Ale" and a brat to recharge myself.

Then I and the iPhone were good for more pix taking. Since I was not really able to follow the race, I reluctantly left about 30 minutes before the end to avoid traffic.

Temp was about 70. It was a great day and well worth it.

Turn 2, shot ruined by the fence:

Turn 4:

Between 4 and 5:

Turn 5 (behind the tents):

Between 5 and 6:

Turn 6:

Between 6 and 7:

Looking down from above at turns 1, 2, 3 and 4, turn 7 about behind the camera:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Terry since you have an iPad I suggest you get ESPN 3 they broadcast lots of classes that usually doesn't get airtime, if you like world endurance racing there's the WEC site which offers live streaming, also audiliveracing.com, great stuff that doesn't make it to US broadcast. I'm trying to figure out how to stream from my PC to my TV so I can see the WEC races on the big screen.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The race, some more:

Turn 8 and 8A (top of the corkscrew):

Turn 8A (bottom of the corkscrew):

Turn 9 - notice the line is right down the center of the track:

Turn 10:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Misc goodies of interest:

SRT Corral (vipers and stuff):

Last pix of the day - my car is right in the middle of the pix.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Terry since you have an iPad I suggest you get ESPN 3 they broadcast lots of classes that usually doesn't get airtime, if you like world endurance racing there's the WEC site which offers live streaming, also audiliveracing.com, great stuff that doesn't make it to US broadcast. I'm trying to figure out how to stream from my PC to my TV so I can see the WEC races on the big screen.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The GT class is serious, there the new BMW Z4s are hot, the Ferraris tend to do well, the Vipers have been showing fangs lately, unfortunately the GT3 RSRs just barely keep up. The only Cayman is running in the Rolex Series in the GX Class, BGB Motorsports. They've been fighting back the Mazda factory effort through Speedsource Racing, it's looking like Mazda's deep pockets are taking a toll on the budget limited BGB effort. Porsche should really step in and help.
I watched this race on ESPN2 (and the Spanish Grande Prix) on Sunday. I thought the ALMS was more fun to watch. I'm becoming a fan of sports car racing.

Turns out the Team Falken Tire #17 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (below in the Corkscrew) came in 2nd by only a couple of seconds (after 4 hours) behind the Corvette Racing #3 C6 ZR1 Vette in the GT Class. The other Porsches did not do as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts