Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stand the idea of putting my CGTS away for winter storage. I'd like to get a set of winter tires and wheels. The problem is that garage space is a bit tight with 3 cars parked in my 3 car garage. I do have a slatwall and space for 4 wheels. Haven't found anything good on Amazon. Anyone currently using something for tire storage on a slatwall they would recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
If you do end up storing them in the same garage, make sure they are far enough away so the TPMS units from the 4 unmounted wheels don't confuse the receiver in the car.:cheers:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you do end up storing them in the same garage, make sure they are far enough away so the TPMS units from the 4 unmounted wheels don't confuse the receiver in the car.:cheers:
That's a good point, but I thought it was selectable which set of TPMS would be used at one time? It probably wouldn't be an issue when parked in the garage

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I can't stand the idea of putting my CGTS away for winter storage. I'd like to get a set of winter tires and wheels. The problem is that garage space is a bit tight with 3 cars parked in my 3 car garage. I do have a slatwall and space for 4 wheels. Haven't found anything good on Amazon. Anyone currently using something for tire storage on a slatwall they would recommend? Thanks
Don't know how much room you have but I used one of these and it worked out great when I was storing a full set of tires/rims..... http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=164&category=Tire+Storage

·
Registered
381 Posts
Another suggestion... I store mine on one of those 2' x 4' shelving units you can get at home depot. Or, you can just stack them...

TireShelf.jpg

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Due to similar space issues with my setup I actually used the space between the door and the sidewall and built my own tire storage. That meant I had to build several and stack them. I had enough room there for 3 units; the bottom one holds 2 fronts and each of the others holds 1 rear with room to spare. I used wood for the sides as well as the actual tire support. See the dwg below. On the free hanging side I added a gusset to help support the weight, the other side went into the sidewall. No problems in a couple of years supporting that weight.

----------
| O......O |
----------

Edit:
Ignore the periods between the Os. Website forced those since it didn't like spaces.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I like my garage clean and empty, so I stuck my other wheels in utility room, just stucked one on another, so it takes about 4 sq ft of floor space.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Reactions: Pokerhobo

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
It's worth noting that you shouldn't just stack them one on top of the other. I use stands that look like this.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
It's worth noting that you shouldn't just stack them one on top of the other.
Why is that? Works for me for *years* without any problems

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Why is that? Works for me for *years* without any problems
Probably only negatively affects one in a thousand if they're not properly inflated or some such thing. Just that the one on the bottom has the weight of 3 others laying on it's sidewall, which isn't really how a tire is built to hold weight.

I wouldn't worry about it, but those stands I posted a pic of tend to go on sale for under $20 so it's worth considering for piece of mind. Takes up the same floor real estate.

Edit: A bit of Googling suggests I'm wrong and that you should only avoid stacking them this way if they're unmounted. http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres-advices/how-to-properly-store-tyres

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I have a 20' by 20' garage, with two Porsches wearing their sets of winter wheels, and their summer wheel sets lined up in a row (vertically, as they would be mounted) beside each car (I will eventually get them up on racks, but just moved in a few months ago). When parked, the unmounted rears for each car are within 18 inches of the mounted wheels/tires. The fronts are a little further away: about 24 inches. No issues with the car not knowing which set of TPMS sensors to use.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have a 20' by 20' garage, with two Porsches wearing their sets of winter wheels, and their summer wheel sets lined up in a row (vertically, as they would be mounted) beside each car (I will eventually get them up on racks, but just moved in a few months ago). When parked, the unmounted rears for each car are within 18 inches of the mounted wheels/tires. The fronts are a little further away: about 24 inches. No issues with the car not knowing which set of TPMS sensors to use.
Good to know just what the limit might be. There have been innumerable reports of folks having their new units installed, and the old ones thrown in the glove box. The resulting confusion created to the receiving unit are well recorded. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
It depends. The best way to store unmounted tires is upright, if they are mounted then they should be stacked. If tires are mounted on the rims, hanging them from hooks is a great storage option. But unmounted tires should never be hung.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! A slatwall is a series of boards with a groove allowing putting in different hooks, baskets, etc... for custom storage. Based on char1982, I'll get similar hooks made for a slatwall.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'll confess that's exactly what I do, but I've been saving the cardboard rounds that Tire Rack uses during shipping and interleave with those, plus one under the bottom one so they don't touch concrete.

Now that I've had the garage 20 years, it's on the project queue to do a minor rehab of the garage, move things around, and better and more shelving. Off-floor tire storage is going to be part of this. Twelve extra wheel tire combos in there (one Boxster set, one S2000 set and a Miata set that I cannot even GIVE away).

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
My dealer stores mine for free. Works well unless you want to keep them at home so that you can swap them when you want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts