Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Nothing? Nobody got this? The thing is it's a no-cost option on a Black Ed. So the only factor is esthetics. Normally it costs some 400 euros... But would you option it if it were free?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I think it is nice looking. Depends what "look" you are going for. Aluminum is a little more refined, black is more sporty.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Very good-looking car! I would need to see it both with- and without. What trim if any do you get in the other case?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good-looking car! I would need to see it both with- and without. What trim if any do you get in the other case?
Standard black. Which looks a bit more masculine. Darker. But those official pics sure look cool. But there may be too much gloss around the windows? Wheels are already flashy as it is. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Obviously your choice, but I like the bling. Go for it.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Standard black. Which looks a bit more masculine. Darker. But those official pics sure look cool. But there may be too much gloss around the windows? Wheels are already flashy as it is. What do you think?
Since you asked... If no trim at all without the aluminum, I would prefer the no-trim option, as the trim is just one more piece to loosen up and fall off in 20 years. (You should see the trim on my 45-year-old 914.) And I tend to like minimalist design, form-follows-function, etc. Just me. The trim version reminds me of a Mercedes--more luxe than sport.

If this answer bothers you, it might mean that you want the trim, in which case go for it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since you asked... If no trim at all without the aluminum, I would prefer the no-trim option, as the trim is just one more piece to loosen up and fall off in 20 years. (You should see the trim on my 45-year-old 914.) And I tend to like minimalist design, form-follows-function, etc. Just me. The trim version reminds me of a Mercedes--more luxe than sport.

If this answer bothers you, it might mean that you want the trim, in which case go for it!
No, it does not bother me at all. Calling a spade a spade is good!:) Ever since I started having this "problem" I have been looking at cars in the wild, and indeed this is a design element one mostly sees on limousines (Class E Mercedes). The only thing that keeps me wondering is the beauty of these photos. Somehow it looks not bling enough for me to remorselessly dismiss it. I attached a pic of a black Cayman with this feature absent, this is standard. Problem is I have not seen the blingy one in real life, most people don't spend 400$ on that, but in my case it would be 0$, hence the dilemma.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
For me it would depend on the wheels I was planning for the car. If you are going for black or platinum wheels I would leave it black. With silver wheels I would add the option.

I wouldn't lose sleep over the quality or fit and finish. I ordered a pretty unusual trim option (leather console trim around the shifter area) and it came out perfectly. I think fit and finish are things Porsche are really good at (now).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For me it would depend on the wheels I was planning for the car. If you are going for black or platinum wheels I would leave it black. With silver wheels I would add the option.

I wouldn't lose sleep over the quality or fit and finish. I ordered a pretty unusual trim option (leather console trim around the shifter area) and it came out perfectly. I think fit and finish are things Porsche are really good at (now).
Carrera Classic wheels just as in the pics...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had it on my Standard Cayman Sapphire Blue and absolutely loved it. It made it look very classy. Ordering a GTS and its not an option as its a sporty look. So it depends on the look you want to go for. image[3].jpg image[6].jpg image[7].jpg

·
Registered
645 Posts
I prefer the black, but it's just a preference.

I don't think it looks "bad" either way you choose...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think it looks really sharp and finished. If I am not mistaken, the 1960's 911's all had the aluminum trim on the windows. Like Shazan, I have it on my Sapphire Blue Cayman and am very glad I paid extra for it. It looks great on the black too, especially with the silver wheels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone, decided to go without. I actually did not like how it highlights the lateral windows on a black car. Car will be built in April, delivery at Zuffenhausen in May :) Happy times.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's on PASM... thanks for the compliment. I loved the car and the looks of it. GTS arriving Tuesday 1st and super excited but without the trim :(

I guess GTS is a different look.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
MUCH better black buddy. Chrome is out of place on a sports car IMO. Just got mine all black with the black/polished Turbo wheels and it looks incredible, even without window tint (coming this weekend). My point is I was going to order the car with the brushed aluminum trim inside, and it'd had been a huge mistake. THis car came with the black brushed aluminum option, and I thought it'd look too somber. With all the shiny bits in there (around vents, shift lever, steering wheel, etc), it'd had been way too much. Looks incredibly classy and sporty at the same time. Bought this car that it was almost the way I'd have ordered it. And it ended up being better. Just got it yesterday. Enjoy it!!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Resurrecting this thread...

Has anyone ordered this option, or put on a custom chrome trim around the windows?

I think it looks slick. Was thinking of putting it on my 2009 Cayman...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts