Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
after 3 hours I installed, the aluminum porsche pedals from suncoast, it was a little hard for me, because the space is tight and also I was not able to drill the brake since its just metal.. finally they are all in. does any one has done the installation using this pedals? the screws on the gas and the footrest are all the way inside but they dont get tight since theres no way to use a nut on the screw, does any one had the same thing.

here is a pic , hope you guys like the pedals

·
Registered
235 Posts
I did the pedals a few weeks ago and I think they're a great fit as well as looking and working great too. I like the larger size of the brake and clutch pedals. Drilling through the metal of the brake pedal was a pain, especially for the bottom screw, and because of the brake arm I wasn't able to get the nut on the bottom screw either. I'm monitoring the attachment and if necessary I'll go back in and grind out enough space to fit the nut.
BW

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was super hard on the brake, but the screw is in there fine, no shaving at all.. did you drill on your gas pedal? I did on mine, but I was reading an old thread about a guy that had a problem with his gas pedal, because he actually hit a cable behind the gas pedal, now I am a little worried, I didnt check yesterday, so today as soon as I get home I will start the car..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a difficult time with the brake pedal as well. On the installation I found that a high speed dremel tool worked well with the metal penetration and opening the space behind the brake pedal at the arm to allow space for the washer and nut. Included with my gas pedal were self taping screws that worked great with a pilot hole. Not included with the kit were screws for the dead pedal used similar self taping screws found at local hardware store, I followed same mounting procedure as gas pedal. All pedals are very secure and have solid feel. Very pleased with finished result.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The screws on the dead pedal and gas pedal are a different size. You should have used a different size drill bit on those screw holes. Mine tightened fine, but I didn't over tighten as that would have stripped the threading in the plastic.

I also found the brake pedal hole at the bottom to be a pain - I broke 3 drill bits trying to get through it. I was able to get the nut on the back of the screw (just barely).

Pedals are very nice for the money and so far, I've been very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am having the problem on the gas as you are saying I probably stripped the threading.. I can push one of the screws from the back of the pedal out, I was thinking maybe using some silicone to hold the pedal and also the screw.. that way I will have the screw covering the hole.

The screws on the dead pedal and gas pedal are a different size. You should have used a different size drill bit on those screw holes. Mine tightened fine, but I didn't over tighten as that would have stripped the threading in the plastic.

I also found the brake pedal hole at the bottom to be a pain - I broke 3 drill bits trying to get through it. I was able to get the nut on the back of the screw (just barely).

Pedals are very nice for the money and so far, I've been very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, I figured I would just tack onto this one. Here's pic of my aluminum pedals purchased at AWE. I had them installed so I can't comment on the difficulty.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The dead pedal, clutch and gas are plastic. Instead of the bolts that came with mine, I went to lowes and got stainless woods screws with a washer and put through the plastic after a small pilot hole. Been solid for 2 months. As for the brake, I did not have the equipment to drill the rounded metal. Going to find auto/machine shop to do.

Good luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Now that I sold the Boxster (shown in pic above) and replaced it with the Cayman it was time to install another set of pedals, this time on a PDK car. I bought this set at Rennline. It was more expensive than Suncoast but I was very happy with the quality of the set. I did break a couple of drill bits trying to drill pilot holes for the brake pedal. All in all though the install went smoothly. Here's the results:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Now that I sold the Boxster (shown in pic above) and replaced it with the Cayman it was time to install another set of pedals, this time on a PDK car. I bought this set at Rennline. It was more expensive than Suncoast but I was very happy with the quality of the set. I did break a couple of drill bits trying to drill pilot holes for the brake pedal. All in all though the install went smoothly. Here's the results:

Those look sweet. I've been thinking of this myself and how hard it would be to do it myself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
180 Posts
^^^ If I can do it, you can do it! The Rennline kit had great instructions. As mentioned, the toughest part was drilling two holes for brake pedal mounting, everything else was a piece of cake...:cheers:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I just installed set of Rennline covers with no problems. The new covers can be used as a drill template guide by using a small c-clamp to position the covers exactly where you want them and then drill through the screw holes in the new covers. I think that this should work with all the different brands of covers. Wedging the pedals with a piece of wood also helps. Make sure that you have a sharp and correct size drill bit and that the drill is not in reverse!

:)

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I just installed set of Rennline covers with no problems. The new covers can be used as a drill template guide by using a small c-clamp to position the covers exactly where you want them and then drill through the screw holes in the new covers. I think that this should work with all the different brands of covers. Wedging the pedals with a piece of wood also helps. Make sure that you have a sharp and correct size drill bit and that the drill is not in reverse!

:)
I strongly advise against using the pedals themselves as a template. There is way too much potential for damage caused by the spinning drill bit.

Instead, position the pedals where you want them and stick a silver sharpie through the screw holes to mark the position of the screw holes. Then use an auto center punch to create indentations in the metal where the markings are before drilling (this is key).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts