Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not too far from me, there's a 2011 Cayman S, 44,500 miles, excellent Carfax (almost $1000 over value), PDK, power seat package, auto climate, self-dimming mirrors, rain-sensing wipers, standard 18" wheels, CPO for $42,000. Its 4 year warranty just ran out. The vehicle seems to have been meticulously well maintained (almost 20 dealer service records) and has had its 40,000 mile service.

Who even considers spending $42,000 for a vehicle with almost 45,000 miles on it? Am I crazy? Should I just forget about it? I haven't driven it; haven't even seen it up close.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
That's a decent price w/o the CPO, so I'd say that's a good deal. Offer them $40K. What can they say, no?

Reactions: hpowders

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a decent price w/o the CPO, so I'd say that's a good deal. Offer them $40K. What can they say, no?
Thanks! I was thinking of doing that, so close to the end of the month, they might take it.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Hey wait a minute you once owned a 911 and you're balking at a 987.2? If you drive it you will buy it provided it's a decent car. The rarity of 987.2 cars and the lack of viable alternatives makes them a bit pricey, but I wouldn't say that car is too far off the mark. Also be aware CarFax is merely a record of 'reported' history. My late 337 had $10K worth of accident damage repairs and it didn't show up on the CarFax, but anyone with a paint gauge and normal eyesight could see the car was hammered, painted, botched etc.... Anyway best of luck, hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
It's a 4 year old car with 44K miles. So all that means is that it was used as a DD. Granted that for a Porsche it's a little high, but for any other marque it would be considered moderate. I expect the owner would be delighted if you offered him $40K.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
My 0.00002 ... and may be worth less as I haven't looked @ blue book or anything ... caveats aside I like used cars which have been kept by fussy owners. That many *dealer* service receipts says this is one such, in spades.

If it has the options you really want, in a color you love, why not? By 2011 porsche should have the bugs out of both the PDK and the 9A1 engine.

With all the above I would ignore the age and (low, imho) miles. If the tires have much meat, that's a bonus.

Assuming it's a dealer selling it, offer $36K cash, don't screw around with a trade or d(st)ealer financing. If they want the sale under those terms they can say yes in about a minute. cash cuts down on the dealer nonsense.

And without the distractions of trade in or financing, they can immediately come back with their number if they need more ...

It's a car, not a Picasso.

Mmmv,
-PM.

·
Registered
195 Posts
40k miles is nothing, Porsches tend to do better driven than sitting collecting dust. If the car passes a PPI go for it before someone else does.

Spending $40k on a car with 45k miles isn't crazy, think about what that car sold for when it was new 4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Not too far from me, there's a 2011 Cayman S, 44,500 miles, excellent Carfax (almost $1000 over value), PDK, power seat package, auto climate, self-dimming mirrors, rain-sensing wipers, standard 18" wheels, CPO for $42,000. Its 4 year warranty just ran out. The vehicle seems to have been meticulously well maintained (almost 20 dealer service records) and has had its 40,000 mile service.

Who even considers spending $42,000 for a vehicle with almost 45,000 miles on it? Am I crazy? Should I just forget about it? I haven't driven it; haven't even seen it up close.
I don't think it crazy. 19 months ago I bought my CPO 2010 with 36000 miles and paid more. Now I've put 26000 of my own miles on it. It is at 62000 miles and it's 4 1/2 years old. Wonder if anyone has ever gone their 100000 CPO miles before their 6 years was up? :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey wait a minute you once owned a 911 and you're balking at a 987.2? If you drive it you will buy it provided it's a decent car. The rarity of 987.2 cars and the lack of viable alternatives makes them a bit pricey, but I wouldn't say that car is too far off the mark. Also be aware CarFax is merely a record of 'reported' history. My late 337 had $10K worth of accident damage repairs and it didn't show up on the CarFax, but anyone with a paint gauge and normal eyesight could see the car was hammered, painted, botched etc.... Anyway best of luck, hope it works out for you.
The 911 I bought a few years ago had only around 17,000 miles on it. I paid $50k. It was practically a new vehicle. This one has almost 45k miles on it.
I should also mention the dealer has no complaints against it with the BBB.
Thanks for your good wishes!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think it crazy. 19 months ago I bought my CPO 2010 with 36000 miles and paid more. Now I've put 26000 of my own miles on it. It is at 62000 miles and it's 4 1/2 years old. Wonder if anyone has ever gone their 100000 CPO miles before their 6 years was up? :)
Thanks for the encouragement.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
40k miles is nothing, Porsches tend to do better driven than sitting collecting dust. If the car passes a PPI go for it before someone else does.

Spending $40k on a car with 45k miles isn't crazy, think about what that car sold for when it was new 4 years ago.
I was thinking about that. A Porsche driven around 10k miles per year as a DD is probably in better mechanical shape than a weekend garage queen.

Yes. That car when new was almost double the current asking price.

Hey!! Are you from the dealership?? If not, you should be!! :)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a 4 year old car with 44K miles. So all that means is that it was used as a DD. Granted that for a Porsche it's a little high, but for any other marque it would be considered moderate. I expect the owner would be delighted if you offered him $40K.
The "owner" is a dealer. Who knows?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Thank you!

It's at a dealership. It had its 40,000 mile service 6000 miles ago.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 0.00002 ... and may be worth less as I haven't looked @ blue book or anything ... caveats aside I like used cars which have been kept by fussy owners. That many *dealer* service receipts says this is one such, in spades.

If it has the options you really want, in a color you love, why not? By 2011 porsche should have the bugs out of both the PDK and the 9A1 engine.

With all the above I would ignore the age and (low, imho) miles. If the tires have much meat, that's a bonus.

Assuming it's a dealer selling it, offer $36K cash, don't screw around with a trade or d(st)ealer financing. If they want the sale under those terms they can say yes in about a minute. cash cuts down on the dealer nonsense.

And without the distractions of trade in or financing, they can immediately come back with their number if they need more ...

It's a car, not a Picasso.

Mmmv,
-PM.
$36k cash, eh? I didn't know they would rather jump at a lower cash offer than a higher financed one.

Interesting perspective. Thank you!

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is almost the exact car I purchased and couldn't be happier. I got a 2010 Cayman S CPO for 42K with 44k on it in April 2014. I've been very happy with my decision, the best part is I don't feel bad putting miles on it!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is almost the exact car I purchased and couldn't be happier. I got a 2010 Cayman S CPO for 42K with 44k on it in April 2014. I've been very happy with my decision, the best part is I don't feel bad putting miles on it!
Great to hear. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Didn't think of this with my first post (RAM gets slower as you age), but cars generally take their first big drop in value at the 4 yr mark. This one is at that mile marker. The price drop is probably most influenced by factory warranty running out, but this one in particular would have 2 extra yrs with the CPO. BTW... it costs dealers approx $2K to certify a car, so they have to add that into their price.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes. The factory warranty just ran out.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
$36k cash, eh? I didn't know they would rather jump at a lower cash offer than a higher financed one.

Interesting perspective. Thank you!
Of course they'd want more dollars plus the interest income from financing it. But if you take that combo off the table, it removes a ton of wiggle room for the dealer to play games -- and reduces it to a yes/no decision based on what you're willing to pay and the dollars the dealer needs to get out of the car. The "jumping" happens when you effectively say "cash sale, now, yes or no please?"

Really simplifies things. They'll send you packing if they think they can sell it under more favorable terms anyway.

And the dealer probably lowballed the amount of trade-in given for this cayman, well below their current asking price.

My .0002,
-PM.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Just curious.........20 service records? If you change the oil and filter every 5,000 that is 8 times....and assume 3 sets of tires....that is a total of 11. So, 20 is almost double.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts