Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I found a great deal, but I want to make sure that my associates on this site, most of which know tons more than I do regarding these cars, feel the same way. If you've seen any of my previous threads then you know that I swore I wouldn't get a CS until at least January 2011, but for some reason every week I find myself in a Porsche dealership torturing myself by looking at great deals that I want to act on ASAP...

I walked in today and there was a Midnight Blue Metallic 2008 CS with Beige interior leather. Options included preferred package plus, power seats package, bi-xenons, auto climate control, self-dim mirrors/rain sensor, heated front seats, Bose sound package, and a remote 6-disc CD changer. Also, the one, and ONLY, previous owner installed a new AWE Sports Exhaust on it (sounds AWEsome :taunt:) and took care of it VERY well...not one visible scratch! The car has 6000 miles on it, and only owned the car for 4 months before trading it in for a 911 (most of the miles on the car came from managers at the dealership using it as a demo car). CarFax shows a clean record as well.

Now down to business. The asking price was $49,000, however after some negotiating and threatening to pass it up, I got it to $44,500 if I pick it up tomorrow... What do you guys think?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, but I forgot to add the fact that the salesman is holding it in my name until tomorrow night so that I have time to make a decision, so any opinions would be appreciated as soon as possible...thanks guys!:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bought my '08 CS similarly optioned new for $53K. IMO, yours is not a great deal, but a good one. How bad do you want this car? If you're willing to walk away, offer $42K firm and stick to your guns. If you really want it, offer $45K firm out the door including all costs such as taxes etc. AFAIK '08's aren't flying out of the showrooms right now, the '09+ models with DFI perform and should hold their value better. No matter what, check on the remaining factory warranty years & miles, and use that as a bargaining chip if possible. HTH. Dave

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I generally agree with dbyker. I have been watching prices of 07 and 08 CS's for a few weeks now, for a friend looking for a great deal on a good car. I think $44,500 is a very good price but not a fantastic price. So it really comes down to how well this one fits your criteria. Plus, if you really love the exhaust and would possibly purchase one anyway, I'd say it makes the deal even better. If I were you I'd try to get the original exhaust included if possible ( for resale) and maybe ask the dealer for a car cover to sweeten the deal a little. Good luck with your deliberations !!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thank both of you for your thoughts on my situation; guess the deal wasn't as good as I thought! Do yo really think if I offered $42K for a car that they wanted $49K for originally, they'd be willing to still sell that bad boy? I'm no salesman by far, and this IS the first car that I'm going to be purchasing myself, but I would've thought that was pushing it..however, I'll be sure to give it a shot tomorrow. General ?...how much less do you usually push for when going with a counter offer?

Happy that I got your honest opinions, but they hit me a little harder than I thought lol! Maybe I should continue to hold off and keep looking...and keep my word until January...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ultimately, only you can decide what's a good deal for you. If you really want the car, you can still work with them on price: find out when the 4/50 warranty was put into effect and how much remains; offer to pay their price if they throw in a free or heavily discounted extended warranty; ask if they'll throw in the first 12K service; tell them you have reservations about dealership managers using the car as a demo car for most of its life (I would); let them know you're aware that '09+ models will perform and hold their value better; let them know you're aware it's a tough economy and a buyer's market; feel them out to see if they'll drop the price any further or throw anything else in. Decide up front what that car is worth to you, or what else it would take to get you to buy it, then stick to your plan when you talk to the dealer. Don't worry that they won't be your friend if you bargain hard or don't buy the car, they regard this as a pure business transaction and so should you. HTH. Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very valid points Dave. I think I'll bargain a little harder and see what's possible. Was hoping to get a few more replies...everyone must be tied up driving their CSs this weekend lol

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Very valid points Dave. I think I'll bargain a little harder and see what's possible. Was hoping to get a few more replies...everyone must be tied up driving their CSs this weekend lol
For immediate comparisons, I assume you have checked the Classified on this site. Asking price on low mileage 07 is < 40K on a private sale, a little more on an 08. That range probably constitutes a good deal. Then you have to consider and adjust for options and warranty issues. Take your time and good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For immediate comparisons, I assume you have checked the Classified on this site. Asking price on low mileage 07 is < 40K on a private sale, a little more on an 08. That range probably constitutes a good deal. Then you have to consider and adjust for options and warranty issues. Take your time and good luck.
I did see the lower prices, but alot of the mileage quotes made me think twice..most of them were listed over 30K miles

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
If you are happy with the car, go for it. Good deals are hard to come by nowadays, and great deals are rarer (not before someone else snatches it up). So, if you like the color combo and options (and most importantly, within your budget), I strongly encourage you go for it. Honestly 6k miles is not a big deal... barely broken in.

For comparison, I saw a 2008 Boxster S LE with 6k last Sept, nicely optioned, CPO'ed selling for $47k. Just this past August, I got my Boxster S with options I wanted, new/never titled & 40 miles for 30% off MSRP. If you like it, get it.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I did see the lower prices, but alot of the mileage quotes made me think twice..most of them were listed over 30K miles
Yeah, I see that some of the dealers say "low mileage" but don't give the miles. I was specifically referring to the just listed private sale 2007 that has only 9,100 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I thank both of you for your thoughts on my situation; guess the deal wasn't as good as I thought! Do yo really think if I offered $42K for a car that they wanted $49K for originally, they'd be willing to still sell that bad boy? I'm no salesman by far, and this IS the first car that I'm going to be purchasing myself, but I would've thought that was pushing it..however, I'll be sure to give it a shot tomorrow. General ?...how much less do you usually push for when going with a counter offer?

Happy that I got your honest opinions, but they hit me a little harder than I thought lol! Maybe I should continue to hold off and keep looking...and keep my word until January...
What they are asking for it really has little to do with whats it worth to you.The price as negotiated sounds reasonable to me.You can always take them a little deeper.It depends too on how well they did on the trade as to how much wiggle room that the dealer has.If they did well on the trade ask them what is the true bottom line where they still make money and you are happy.You can both agree on a price neither of you like.If they are upside down in the trade then possible they are going to try and re-coup some of that loss through the trade,At YOUR expense.The bottom line is that they need to move inventory each month.It costs money to run a dealership and each month is a new beginning....Like others have said if the car fits your criteria and from it sounds like is not too far out in price go for it.Just do not comparison shop after the purchase because you will drive yourself nuts:crazy.Enjoy enjoy and enjoy "whatsa behind us does not matter".If you have the car already by the time you read this ramble CONGRATULATIONS:cheers:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What they are asking for it really has little to do with whats it worth to you.The price as negotiated sounds reasonable to me.You can always take them a little deeper.It depends too on how well they did on the trade as to how much wiggle room that the dealer has.If they did well on the trade ask them what is the true bottom line where they still make money and you are happy.You can both agree on a price neither of you like.If they are upside down in the trade then possible they are going to try and re-coup some of that loss through the trade,At YOUR expense.The bottom line is that they need to move inventory each month.It costs money to run a dealership and each month is a new beginning....Like others have said if the car fits your criteria and from it sounds like is not too far out in price go for it.Just do not comparison shop after the purchase because you will drive yourself nuts:crazy.Enjoy enjoy and enjoy "whatsa behind us does not matter".If you have the car already by the time you read this ramble CONGRATULATIONS:cheers:
Thanks alot everyone! I'm just getting back from a four hour visit to the dealer in which we went back and forth. Ironically enough, the one and only PREVIOUS owner (is a real estate agent and owns a Vette Z06, ZR1, BMW M5, 5 series for his wife AND TWO GT3s...yes...TWO) was at the dealership talking about how great of a car it was. I also got down to the nitty gritty and asked them flat out how far are they willing to go and still be able to make money, with which they replied $44.5. Honestly, after comparing the options with others for sale in a 500 mile radius I DO think that this deal is awesome because of what the car is equipped with and just how well the previous owner took care of it...NOT A SCRATCH to be seen! Original MSRP was $68K, the previous owner bought it for $58K...and when I went for it they asked for $49K but I was able to weasel my way down to $44.5. They're working on the paperwork for insurance and such, but Monday's the big day in which I choose whether or not to sign the dotted line...and the longer I wait, the more it seems as if I will. We only live once, and I want to enjoy it!:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way...i attached a pic. I figured I've annoyed you guys enough without at least showing you what I was talking about :taunt:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
By the way...i attached a pic. I figured I've annoyed you guys enough without at least showing you what I was talking about :taunt:
Congrats and enjoy the drive! I bet waiting for the weekend to pass is going to be like watching water boil for you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Run don't walk and buy that car. It is beautiful, I basically have same car without exhaust and Wheels...Got it new and have not looked back...:burnout:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Run don't walk and buy that car. It is beautiful, I basically have same car without exhaust and Wheels...Got it new and have not looked back...:burnout:
Thank you very much good sir! I think I'm going to take the leap of faith and go for it...gotta live for today since tomorrow's never promised, eh?

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you like the car, and are happy with the price - buy it! You probably won't go too far wrong, and there's something to be said for buying from Porsche. Life can be short, and you should enjoy it. Re-read all the advice above before you go back, and see if there isn't something else they can do for you (probably not, though). It is quite a good deal and a beautiful car, no reason NOT to buy it that I can see. Make your decision, and be happy with the outcome. Dave

1 - 20 of 35 Posts