Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I found a great deal, but I want to make sure that my associates on this site, most of which know tons more than I do regarding these cars, feel the same way. If you've seen any of my previous threads then you know that I swore I wouldn't get a CS until at least January 2011, but for some reason every week I find myself in a Porsche dealership torturing myself by looking at great deals that I want to act on ASAP...

I walked in today and there was a Midnight Blue Metallic 2008 CS with Beige interior leather. Options included preferred package plus, power seats package, bi-xenons, auto climate control, self-dim mirrors/rain sensor, heated front seats, Bose sound package, and a remote 6-disc CD changer. Also, the one, and ONLY, previous owner installed a new AWE Sports Exhaust on it (sounds AWEsome :taunt:) and took care of it VERY well...not one visible scratch! The car has 6000 miles on it, and only owned the car for 4 months before trading it in for a 911 (most of the miles on the car came from managers at the dealership using it as a demo car). CarFax shows a clean record as well.

Now down to business. The asking price was $49,000, however after some negotiating and threatening to pass it up, I got it to $44,500 if I pick it up tomorrow... What do you guys think?

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, but I forgot to add the fact that the salesman is holding it in my name until tomorrow night so that I have time to make a decision, so any opinions would be appreciated as soon as possible...thanks guys!:)

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thank both of you for your thoughts on my situation; guess the deal wasn't as good as I thought! Do yo really think if I offered $42K for a car that they wanted $49K for originally, they'd be willing to still sell that bad boy? I'm no salesman by far, and this IS the first car that I'm going to be purchasing myself, but I would've thought that was pushing it..however, I'll be sure to give it a shot tomorrow. General ?...how much less do you usually push for when going with a counter offer?

Happy that I got your honest opinions, but they hit me a little harder than I thought lol! Maybe I should continue to hold off and keep looking...and keep my word until January...

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very valid points Dave. I think I'll bargain a little harder and see what's possible. Was hoping to get a few more replies...everyone must be tied up driving their CSs this weekend lol

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For immediate comparisons, I assume you have checked the Classified on this site. Asking price on low mileage 07 is < 40K on a private sale, a little more on an 08. That range probably constitutes a good deal. Then you have to consider and adjust for options and warranty issues. Take your time and good luck.
I did see the lower prices, but alot of the mileage quotes made me think twice..most of them were listed over 30K miles

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What they are asking for it really has little to do with whats it worth to you.The price as negotiated sounds reasonable to me.You can always take them a little deeper.It depends too on how well they did on the trade as to how much wiggle room that the dealer has.If they did well on the trade ask them what is the true bottom line where they still make money and you are happy.You can both agree on a price neither of you like.If they are upside down in the trade then possible they are going to try and re-coup some of that loss through the trade,At YOUR expense.The bottom line is that they need to move inventory each month.It costs money to run a dealership and each month is a new beginning....Like others have said if the car fits your criteria and from it sounds like is not too far out in price go for it.Just do not comparison shop after the purchase because you will drive yourself nuts:crazy.Enjoy enjoy and enjoy "whatsa behind us does not matter".If you have the car already by the time you read this ramble CONGRATULATIONS:cheers:
Thanks alot everyone! I'm just getting back from a four hour visit to the dealer in which we went back and forth. Ironically enough, the one and only PREVIOUS owner (is a real estate agent and owns a Vette Z06, ZR1, BMW M5, 5 series for his wife AND TWO GT3s...yes...TWO) was at the dealership talking about how great of a car it was. I also got down to the nitty gritty and asked them flat out how far are they willing to go and still be able to make money, with which they replied $44.5. Honestly, after comparing the options with others for sale in a 500 mile radius I DO think that this deal is awesome because of what the car is equipped with and just how well the previous owner took care of it...NOT A SCRATCH to be seen! Original MSRP was $68K, the previous owner bought it for $58K...and when I went for it they asked for $49K but I was able to weasel my way down to $44.5. They're working on the paperwork for insurance and such, but Monday's the big day in which I choose whether or not to sign the dotted line...and the longer I wait, the more it seems as if I will. We only live once, and I want to enjoy it!:)

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way...i attached a pic. I figured I've annoyed you guys enough without at least showing you what I was talking about :taunt:

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Run don't walk and buy that car. It is beautiful, I basically have same car without exhaust and Wheels...Got it new and have not looked back...:burnout:
Thank you very much good sir! I think I'm going to take the leap of faith and go for it...gotta live for today since tomorrow's never promised, eh?

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If you like the car, and are happy with the price - buy it! You probably won't go too far wrong, and there's something to be said for buying from Porsche. Life can be short, and you should enjoy it. Re-read all the advice above before you go back, and see if there isn't something else they can do for you (probably not, though). It is quite a good deal and a beautiful car, no reason NOT to buy it that I can see. Make your decision, and be happy with the outcome. Dave
Thank you very much Dave and the rest of you guys. They agreed to add in the colored Porsche tire crests and a free car tarp/cover..:cheers:

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think it's a good deal as well and were I in the market for a second Cayman, I would pull the trigger on the one that is soon to be yours. In fact I need to keep my wife away from this site or she'll be calling and outbidding you because since I bought mine, she's been saying she'd like her own. Good luck with it and enjoy the ride.
lol..thanks Bud! Believe it or not the last time I posted a pic (INCLUDING the Dealership's name on the license plate on the pic) and was thinking about buying the CS someone else jumped in front of me and snatched it! Can't be mad at that because it was up for grabs, but you better believe i made sure to use photoshop to blur out the name of the dealer on its license plate this time lol! :hilarious:

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
tomorrow's the big day.. going to pick it up:banana:. Don't know why i'm nervous lol; I'm actually my nervous about this than i was when I purchased my home for some reason! Let's hope that's not a bad sign...wish me luck please!

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Getting back from the dealership and practicing on the roads. I just realized that I didn't mention the fact that I'd never driven a Manual Transmission car before this one, although I have owned a motorcycle for 4 years now and am familiar with the shifting scheme. After going to the dealership the salesman took me for a quick tutorial on shifting in the Porsche and I was told by many that these cars are some of the easiest to learn how to drive manual in. After going for the quick run w/ the salesman, I was on the highway with a CS and doing just fine with the shifting......that is, until I came to a stop sign. Stopped perfectly fine, but finding that "sweet spot" where the clutch catches and you can fully release it was tough, and I did stall out twice at the sign:taunt:. Hopefully I'll get better with time, but, all in all, it was a hell of a ride back and as soon as I learn to love the car for the experience and not see the $$$ signs on it in terms of how much the payments are, I'm sure i'll be fine! Any advice/comments...feel free!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.