Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Picked up my 09 Cayman S Monday. Traded my 08 M3 Sedan for it. So far could not be happier! I will not say if one is better than the other, but I will say that I love them both in their own right. I really only had one grievance with the M3, and that was that the true power band came so high in the rev range (Red line @ 8400 rpm), so if you red lined it in second gear, you were breaking the law in all 50 states. With the CS, I feel the power and torque is much more available in every day driving.

Got an Artic Silver Metalic, manual, Bi Xenon, Sport Crono and some other small goodies. I have already installed the clear "euro style" side markers, the car came with 18" Cayman S II wheel, I have placed an order for the 19" Sport Design. I am a little torn what to do with the 18", I need a winter set, but I feel these are too wide anyway, so I am considering selling them if the price is right. What would be a fair asking price?

Anyway, looking forward to all the CS and this forum has to offer.

Picture below was taken before installing the side markers. Will take more and better pictures once I get my 19s.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have almost the exact setup you have in the same color. You must have had a reason for trading "up":hilarious: What was your motivation?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have almost the exact setup you have in the same color. You must have had a reason for trading "up":hilarious: What was your motivation?
I have this addiction, that is more expensive than a crack habit. I have been trading cars about once a year for 9 years now. I get the new car itch bad every summer. Was looking at the Cayman S last year when getting the M3, but thought I needed 4 doors and a trunk. My wife and daughter went in the M3 twice in one year only because we wanted to not because we had to. So I realized that I could do OK with a two seater.

But the main motivation was that I got a fair trade in price for my M3 and a GREAT price on the CS. I went to two dealers and it was obvious that both were hurting BAD for sales.

Complete list of options:
Self Dim Mirrors, Bi-Xenon, Heated Seats, Colored Wheel caps, Auto Air, Bluetooth, Sport Crono, Bose High End, Floor mats, Universal Audio interface, painted Rear Ctr Console (can't belive how much they charge for this one).

·
Registered
882 Posts
Welcome. Suggest you really study the owner;s manual as there are lots of features in your new ride. Drive safe. Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Funny thing is I thought the same thing about the M3. Serious power ment lots of revs and lots of speeding. Nice for the track but my 335i was way more street friendly. I went with and 09 CS and have been plenty happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am an ex-M3 owner. Had an '04 coupe that I upgraded with the Dinan stage 2 kit. It was an awesome car but after 4 years, I was ready for a change (always regretted the smg tranny choice).

I now have an '07 CS that I am beginning to upgrade. I have a quaife LSD ready to install but am researching other options (lwf) to add when the LSD is installed. Will likely order the Sharkwerks LWF and a clutch upgrade if any are available. I am seriously considering the TPC turbo shortly thereafter.

I have not been a member long but plan to rely heavily on this valuable resource.

Anyway, welcome and good luck with the upgrades!

I assume from your name that you are a motorcycle enthusiast as well... What do you ride?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
congrats

quick question, which is faster?
Still in my 2000 mile break in, so I haven't really pushed it too hard. But my initial thought is that the M3 is faster in every aspect. Straight line, braking, cornering. But I also suspect that is a little dependent on situation. I took the M3 to a couple of AutoX, and it is a little too "long legged" for that. I expect that the CS will keep up pretty well in that tight setting, but on a "real" track or in a street race I think the CS will be left behind.

Your question was which one is faster. That is what I answered, not saying that it is any better though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I assume from your name that you are a motorcycle enthusiast as well... What do you ride?
No bike right now, last bike was a 06 GSX-R 600, heavily tracked. Put bikes on the back burner with the birth of my daughter and relocation to Oklahoma.

·
Registered
7 Posts
congrats

quick question, which is faster?
I have yet to do any roll ons against my 335i since my CS is still in break in (1400 miles) . My BMW has a minor ECU piggy back upgrade so it not completely stock. Still, the 335 is a BEAST with gobs of torque everywhere. No need to rev much at all.
I suspect my 335 is a bit quicker. I eventually will have a full report:)::)

Oop! Sorry if you meant the M3!

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Can someone explain the ugly rear bumpers and orange side markers on the US spec cars?
The side markers are one thing - but what's the deal with the great big, ugly blocks on the rear bumper? Is this the outcome of the NHTSA 2.5 Mph bumper crash regulation? Can those be removed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all,

Picked up my 09 Cayman S Monday. Traded my 08 M3 Sedan for it. So far could not be happier! I will not say if one is better than the other, but I will say that I love them both in their own right. I really only had one grievance with the M3, and that was that the true power band came so high in the rev range (Red line @ 8400 rpm), so if you red lined it in second gear, you were breaking the law in all 50 states. With the CS, I feel the power and torque is much more available in every day driving.

Got an Artic Silver Metalic, manual, Bi Xenon, Sport Crono and some other small goodies. I have already installed the clear "euro style" side markers, the car came with 18" Cayman S II wheel, I have placed an order for the 19" Sport Design. I am a little torn what to do with the 18", I need a winter set, but I feel these are too wide anyway, so I am considering selling them if the price is right. What would be a fair asking price?

Anyway, looking forward to all the CS and this forum has to offer.

Picture below was taken before installing the side markers. Will take more and better pictures once I get my 19s.
I'm interested in your views coming from an E9# M3 Bikerjoy
Although not an M3 my previous car was a 135i and to be honest I really miss that cars amazing engine, it had so much low end torque, I'm finding it hard to adjust to my Caymans gutless button end.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm interested in your views coming from an E9# M3 Bikerjoy
Although not an M3 my previous car was a 135i and to be honest I really miss that cars amazing engine, it had so much low end torque, I'm finding it hard to adjust to my Caymans gutless button end.
Well it is a little like comparing apples and oranges. A monster sedan, vs a mid engine two seater. If you need the room, there simply is no beating the M3 in my mind, lots of power, incredible brakes, best handling car I have ever owned (probably CS included). The M3 had ALL the bells and whistles, the only option I did not have was the extended leather (didn't want it).

My CS is much more sparsely equipped. No navigation, it has bluetooth but I still can't transfer my contacts from my iPhone, also it only has the audio jack and not the full iPod interface, and those are definitely features I miss.

As far as handling and performance, as I said before, really haven't put the CS through it's paces yet. But what I have noticed so far, is that I do like the power delivery better in the CS (power available lower in the rev range). I do NOT like the feel of the brakes on the CS so far, I find my self braking too little too late and have to REALLY get on it hard really late, this is not just during "spirited" driving but also coming up to stop lights and such. The power braking assist was MUCH higher on the M3, plus that the brakes on it were almost more impressive than the power. I hope I will get used to them in the CS, because right now, honestly the car feels HEAVY and the brakes tiny coming to a stop.

I am going back and forth about replacing the standard steering wheel in the CS, the standard wheel in the M3 is the fattest one I have ever had my hands on and frankly the standard wheel in the CS feels HUGE (diameter) and thin as a straw. I really do like the connected feel of it though. The M3 steering was also great, so I would say that is a draw between the two.

I like the engine / exhaust note better on the CS mostly because it is a little louder and "gruntier" when you are pushing it, however nothing can replace the song of the V8 at 8000 RPM. But again, how often did I get it up there in daily driving?

Over all I would say the M3 was more comfortable, but again that is not a fair comparison as it was a much larger Sedan. Also I have the basic seats in the CS (leather), but had the top of the line seats in the M3, which also skews the comparison.

Having only filled it up twice so far, I do like the 20+ MPG so far. I NEVER broke 19 MPG on the M3, and averaged 16. Also the tank of the M3 was too small, I usually only got 200-220 miles to a tank.

In my book the M3 comes out on top as far as performance goes because of the brakes and, the insane power. I have not yet fully explored the CS, but I suspect that it will have a hard time keeping up on the high end at say 90+ MPH, the M3 tends to just lurch from 70 to 130 if you downshift and put the hammer down. I think the CS will suffer from the 100hp it lacks in that range. The M3 also comes out on top in practicality and comfort (duh), but that is not what a CS is about anyway. The CS wins on looks, sound and quality. Maybe a little too soon to talk about quality, but it just feels "tighter" and more well put together than the M3. Time will tell on that one.

Give me a few months, and possibly a couple of AutoX and track events, and I can give you the full review. Right now it is hard to tell what the CS is really capable of, so I may be surprised later on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have this addiction, that is more expensive than a crack habit. I have been trading cars about once a year for 9 years now. I get the new car itch bad every summer. Was looking at the Cayman S last year when getting the M3, but thought I needed 4 doors and a trunk. My wife and daughter went in the M3 twice in one year only because we wanted to not because we had to. So I realized that I could do OK with a two seater.

But the main motivation was that I got a fair trade in price for my M3 and a GREAT price on the CS. I went to two dealers and it was obvious that both were hurting BAD for sales.

Complete list of options:
Self Dim Mirrors, Bi-Xenon, Heated Seats, Colored Wheel caps, Auto Air, Bluetooth, Sport Crono, Bose High End, Floor mats, Universal Audio interface, painted Rear Ctr Console (can't belive how much they charge for this one).
I know what you mean with the happy feet when it comes to a new car every year. I have a bit of it myself lately. Motorcycles have been the worst for me over the years. At one point I had 4 cycles in the garage (2 too many!) , Now I am down to 2 so it's not too bad. With 2 cars I think I can get down to one cycle soon.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Funny thing is I thought the same thing about the M3. Serious power ment lots of revs and lots of speeding. Nice for the track but my 335i was way more street friendly. I went with and 09 CS and have been plenty happy.
Glad to hear you are happy with your switch from 335 to Cayman S!

I currently have a 335 (also tuned) and I had every intention of replacing it with an M3. After several test drives of both the M3 and the Cayman S, I couldn’t keep from going back to the Cayman, although it is completely impractical considering it will be my only car and daily driver.

The feel, handling, nimbleness and noises of the Cayman all trumped the M3 in my opinion. I was also tainted by the fact that my tuned 335 offered a similar feel and performance (acceleration) to the M3 that the M3 didn’t offer enough of a new experience.

That all being said, I do think the M3 is an awesome car but I have a 2010 Cayman S on order and I’m counting down the days until it arrives.

I think it is interesting that so many people end up with a M3 vs. Cayman S decision, considering how different they really are.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well it is a little like comparing apples and oranges. A monster sedan, vs a mid engine two seater. If you need the room, there simply is no beating the M3 in my mind, lots of power, incredible brakes, best handling car I have ever owned (probably CS included). The M3 had ALL the bells and whistles, the only option I did not have was the extended leather (didn't want it).

My CS is much more sparsely equipped. No navigation, it has bluetooth but I still can't transfer my contacts from my iPhone, also it only has the audio jack and not the full iPod interface, and those are definitely features I miss.

As far as handling and performance, as I said before, really haven't put the CS through it's paces yet. But what I have noticed so far, is that I do like the power delivery better in the CS (power available lower in the rev range). I do NOT like the feel of the brakes on the CS so far, I find my self braking too little too late and have to REALLY get on it hard really late, this is not just during "spirited" driving but also coming up to stop lights and such. The power braking assist was MUCH higher on the M3, plus that the brakes on it were almost more impressive than the power. I hope I will get used to them in the CS, because right now, honestly the car feels HEAVY and the brakes tiny coming to a stop.
I think your first sentence pretty well sums up the two cars. Regarding the brakes, you don't mention your previous Porsche experience, if any. You may be merely noticing the inherent differences between the two. The Porsche brakes are not as highly boosted as the BMW, but transmit better feel. Most folks prefer the Porsche brakes, but, it's subjective. I have found the Cayman S brakes to be excellent for everything up to very intensive track use. At that level, there are some issues in the system that can be problematic, mostly relating to the interaction of PSM and ABS.

I have not owned an E90 series M3, but have driven several. I find the Cayman to be a more responsive and better feeling car under almost all handling situations. Not to short change the M3, as it is probably the best handling sedan I have driven.

With the exception of braking under track conditions, my only issue with the Cayman is its lack of power, but that's something I knew going in. My previous street/track car was a C6 ZO6, so the difference of 200 hp in a car of essentially the same weight is very significant. And in an aggressive track environment, the ZO6 brakes are better. Judged in terms of street use, I think the Cayman is about a perfect all around sports car. After a year, I find the missing power to be a big issue, and will probably make a change within the next year. With that single exception, I think the Cayman S is a great car. Unless you are really focused on the power, I think you will like the Cayman better with some more experience with it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts