Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Do you use the analog speedometer or find it useful?

• Yes, I use it regularly.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Yes, I find it useful, but don’t use it regularly.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • No, but I don’t mind it.

Votes: 71 38.6%
  • No and I think they should have used the gauge for something else.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • There’s an analog speedometer?

Votes: 20 10.9%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone actually use it or find it useful in any way? I can only think of two occasions since I got the car that I looked at the analog speedometer vs. the digital one and that was just to see if it was working. The numbers are so close together that I don't find it useful at all. Personally, I would have rather seen them use the space for something else.

So, does anyone actually use it and / or find it useful at all?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I used it for two weeks while driving around Europe for my ED trip. It was nice to have a km/hr digital read out and a mph analog. Other than that, I have never used it. It should be another TFT.

There was a poll or thread on this same subject about a year ago and the results are going to be the same. No one uses it.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
For the first 2 days I owned the 987.1, I was cursing the P engineers for making it so hard to figure out my speed. Then I realized there was a precise digital mph display , duh. I've never looked at the analog again.

I wonder if it is a legal requirement to have an analog system...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Funny... I was going to post a similar topic. I never look at the analog speedo. Agreed it should be another TFT display.

·
Noob
857 Posts
I wish they just allowed the same functionality as the right multi-function display and you could just choose one of the options.
With an identical control knob on the left.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Agree on another multifunction display. Usually I'll have the gauges displayed until the oil temp is up, then I switch to the trip view. Would be nice to keep both up.

Reactions: maxn99

·
Noob
857 Posts
Also I think in this day and age, that entire section (speedometer, odometer, tachometer, multi-function display etc) should be a 1 full LCD screen that can be programed in whatever way.
Its cheaper to manufacture (probably lighter too) and can be programmed for different things for different models without different mechanical outdated parts.
Too bad you need good app software engineers and UI designers for that, stuff these old car companies do not have or value. They are the blackberrys in the iPhone/Android world.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The Porsche instrument display design has a lot of history behind it.
Don't look for it to be changed much.
But I do agree, with the digital display in the tach, the analog display is not very useful.-Richard

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The speedometer is a vital instrument, and I think having an analog backup to the digital readout makes sense. It's not there to necessarily be used instead of the digital speedometer, but to provide insurance if there's some sort of electronic failure that makes the digital one unreadable.

So, no, I don't use the analog display, but I think it should be there ... just in case.

Reactions: Richman

·
Registered
708 Posts
I like the look of the gauges and the dash and if it were one large LCD screen, I would not like it. As far as the poll is concerned, the digital speed readout gets more use in my case, it's right in the center with the tach which makes it handy. But I don't mind the analog one.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Once I am familiar with the car, I hardly use either speedometer and just drive along based on the tach, how I feel, and my recognition of slow speed areas. That being said, I depart from the popular opinion to change the analog speedo. It gives the car a balance of classic aesthetic. My personal opinion is that I am not ready to go 100% digital display. I think the 981 has a great combo of both. Same goes for the analog readout on the sports chronometer. Very well done without over doing the digital display.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
My wife and I both are so conditioned to the digiital that when we rent a car are really frustrated if they do not offer a digital as an option with their display. I find it easier to check speed at a quick glance than the analog.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
The speedometer is a vital instrument, and I think having an analog backup to the digital readout makes sense. It's not there to necessarily be used instead of the digital speedometer, but to provide insurance if there's some sort of electronic failure that makes the digital one unreadable.

So, no, I don't use the analog display, but I think it should be there ... just in case.
Ok....so lets leave the hand crank in place too.....in case the battery or starter fails. lol. jk :cheers:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Never use it...usually drive with my left hand so my arm obstructs the view and I don't feel I'm missing much. I am sure a lot of people (particularly the 6 MT) also have the same experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Ok....so lets leave the hand crank in place too.....in case the battery or starter fails. lol. jk :cheers:
Well, now that you mention it ....

·
Noob
857 Posts
I like the look of the gauges and the dash and if it were one large LCD screen
Well thats assuming that the LCD screen cannot be programmed to mimic gauges as you like. There could be a "classic" look option.
Look at the new iWatch thats coming out, its getting rid of the mechanical dial and just a gorgeous LCD that you can change the look to match something you like.
Having an LCD instead of physical parts, all the visuals ends up being software based. Imagine what 3rd party modders could eventually do and write skins for your car.
There are endless possibilities that satisfy everyone's needs.
Imagine all the track / DE information there rather than installing other instruments.

35338245_SS17.jpg bmw-i8-dash-board-gauge-cluster.jpg

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I voted that it should be changed to something else, but I'm not really sure what. I mean... I do like the TFT on the right, but I also like analogue gauges. So I'm not really sure what I'd prefer there. I think maybe I'd have just liked a better design for the speedometer that made it more readable, and then maybe have the digital speedometer be a configurable thing. I suspect that if the digital one wasn't there, we'd have all got used to the analogue one just fine and wouldn't be having this conversation.

The digital one just makes the gauge pointless. Who is going to train themselves to look at the gauge when the digital one is right there front and center? Now, if I could change that to the outside temperature display or something, then I probably would.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
What Noobies said, in fact I think I posted the exact same thing a year ago when this last came up. The only thing I'd keep analog (at least an analog look) is the tach, big and in the center, of course. My preference for style would be WWII aircraft instruments, Bell & Ross like.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would like a TFT tach, so I could change the gauge face color. That would be great. An all TFT, like the new Audi TT's, would be cool, too. That said, I still like analog gauges, but wish they looked like classic separate analog gauges.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts