Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if I should spec nav on my 718 order and it kinda depends on what the exact capabilities are versus/with an Android device (Pixel). None of the Porsche literature seems that clear to me so hoping someone can answer these questions...

1. Can an Android device display Google maps on the 718 display? If so, what, if any, options are needed.
2. If there is no way to display Google maps from an Android device on the car display, are there any good mounting solutions people have used?

Thanks!
Fliz

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if I should spec nav on my 718 order and it kinda depends on what the exact capabilities are versus/with an Android device (Pixel). None of the Porsche literature seems that clear to me so hoping someone can answer these questions...

1. Can an Android device display Google maps on the 718 display? If so, what, if any, options are needed.
2. If there is no way to display Google maps from an Android device on the car display, are there any good mounting solutions people have used?

Thanks!
Fliz
Google calls that feature Android Auto, but Porsche doesn't support it (on the 718 anyway). They do support CarPlay.

·
Registered
68 Posts
"Fortunately, PCM now features full Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration — a feature of which I made abundant use.
Porsche Connect Plus upgrades the car’s navigation system to include real-time traffic information along with Google Earth and Google Street View mapping services."

-- https://www.businessinsider.com.au/porsche-718-boxster-s-review-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

Greg
Article is wrong. Porsche does *not* support Android Auto. Only CarPlay. Unless something is changing in the 2018 models.

·
Registered
148 Posts
"Fortunately, PCM now features full Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration — a feature of which I made abundant use.
Porsche Connect Plus upgrades the car’s navigation system to include real-time traffic information along with Google Earth and Google Street View mapping services."

-- https://www.businessinsider.com.au/porsche-718-boxster-s-review-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

Greg
Also wrong (or, at least, info not available at press time): Google Earth/Street View will be disappearing at the end of the calendar year. This is stated within the Porsche Connect option disclaimers in the Online Configurator now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is definitely incorrect. The 718 will not work with Android Auto and really ticked at Porsche for not offering this option especially when Android has far more worldwide marketshare than Apple does. I have conacted Porsche to voice my concern that they should offer Android Auto.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very interesting. I wonder if the Google Earth/StreetView integration with PCM4 Nav was a compromise, then ...

... which, since that is ending at the end of 2017, makes me think that maybe Android Auto might be in the works for MY2019 -- or, perhaps, as a PCM4 software update. Time will tell.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
89 Posts
That same article contains a link to a Google rebuttal of the info in Motor Trend: https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9465901/google-android-porsche-auto-apple-carplay-motor-trend

Notably, other VW Group lines do offer Android Auto, so the privacy issue seems like a red herring to me.

I'm betting that the real reason is that, while Android has a much larger user share than iOS, the latter is the drug^H^H^H^Hphone of choice for the income bracket targeted by PAG. Targeting your software to a single platform is far easier, cheaper, and faster than two platforms.

I'd be willing to bet that within a year or two, PAG offers Android Auto integration.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
That same article contains a link to a Google rebuttal of the info in Motor Trend: https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9465901/google-android-porsche-auto-apple-carplay-motor-trend

Notably, other VW Group lines do offer Android Auto, so the privacy issue seems like a red herring to me.

I'm betting that the real reason is that, while Android has a much larger user share than iOS, the latter is the drug^H^H^H^Hphone of choice for the income bracket targeted by PAG. Targeting your software to a single platform is far easier, cheaper, and faster than two platforms.

I'd be willing to bet that within a year or two, PAG offers Android Auto integration.
Dang, so I have to wait a couple of yours before I buy a new Porsche!? ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
This was a big hangup for me in buying. I am big on Android and anti-Apple, so when I found out that Porsche's software only integrates Apple, I was pissed. They tried to pitch me on the Nav system anyway, but I spent several thousand on the Nav system in my last car and ended up using Google Maps on my cell phone most of the time. So I decided to nix the Nav, got a magnet that clips to the air vent, and the Bluetooth integration is otherwise fine. Specifically, all sound (music and nav guidance) will go through the car's system, and the software can handle calls, read and respond to text messages, look through contacts, and so on. So it's not bad, but it can't screencast your Google Maps app, which is annoying. I also can't get the email feature to work, but that may just be because I didn't opt for paying for a cell data plan for the car (crazy imo).

I suspect that you could probably load a custom Android ROM right onto the car's hardware, given the multiple SD ports and USB port, but I'm not QUITE enough of a geek to figure that out yet. I'll let you know if and when I have time to look into it further, but my intuition is there's a way to run Android off of the car's hardware and software using the SD slot. As long as bluetooth connectivity is enabled (or even USB tethering), you should be able to draw signal from your cell phone and run Google Maps right off of the touchscreen. While doing something like this would normally void the warranty, if you can retain the stock software and boot to the SD card only when you have the card in, I think that would keep you protected and let you do everything you want. No clue whether others have tried or had success with this, but having seen Android work on the shoddiest of ancient touchscreen devices, I have to believe it can run directly on this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This was a big hangup for me in buying. I am big on Android and anti-Apple, so when I found out that Porsche's software only integrates Apple, I was pissed. They tried to pitch me on the Nav system anyway, but I spent several thousand on the Nav system in my last car and ended up using Google Maps on my cell phone most of the time. So I decided to nix the Nav, got a magnet that clips to the air vent, and the Bluetooth integration is otherwise fine. Specifically, all sound (music and nav guidance) will go through the car's system, and the software can handle calls, read and respond to text messages, look through contacts, and so on. So it's not bad, but it can't screencast your Google Maps app, which is annoying. I also can't get the email feature to work, but that may just be because I didn't opt for paying for a cell data plan for the car (crazy imo).

I suspect that you could probably load a custom Android ROM right onto the car's hardware, given the multiple SD ports and USB port, but I'm not QUITE enough of a geek to figure that out yet. I'll let you know if and when I have time to look into it further, but my intuition is there's a way to run Android off of the car's hardware and software using the SD slot. As long as bluetooth connectivity is enabled (or even USB tethering), you should be able to draw signal from your cell phone and run Google Maps right off of the touchscreen. While doing something like this would normally void the warranty, if you can retain the stock software and boot to the SD card only when you have the card in, I think that would keep you protected and let you do everything you want. No clue whether others have tried or had success with this, but having seen Android work on the shoddiest of ancient touchscreen devices, I have to believe it can run directly on this.
Getting that to work would be a tricky job, and if Porsche's security is any good, almost impossible. I'd guess the current stack isn't going to accept and install just any image on an SD card it comes across. If their security is at all modern, it would need to be cryptographically signed by Porsche. If you managed to get an image installed, you'd then have to get it to boot. You'd need driver support for whatever hardware Porsche has hooked to that thing (audio, displays, IO). After all that, you'd have a system that knew how to be a phone but not a car, so you'd have to write all the bits to support CAN (and Porsche's proprietary messaging over it) as well as any auto specific functionality.

The universe being the cruel thing it is, you'd finish up right as Porsche announced support for Android Auto ;)

Crazier things have been pulled off though. Would be a fascinating project to follow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting that to work would be a tricky job, and if Porsche's security is any good, almost impossible. I'd guess the current stack isn't going to accept and install just any image on an SD card it comes across. If their security is at all modern, it would need to be cryptographically signed by Porsche. If you managed to get an image installed, you'd then have to get it to boot. You'd need driver support for whatever hardware Porsche has hooked to that thing (audio, displays, IO). After all that, you'd have a system that knew how to be a phone but not a car, so you'd have to write all the bits to support CAN (and Porsche's proprietary messaging over it) as well as any auto specific functionality.

The universe being the cruel thing it is, you'd finish up right as Porsche announced support for Android Auto ;)

Crazier things have been pulled off though. Would be a fascinating project to follow.
Some crazy Russian appears to have done it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN1Qi9HIeM4

I don't think he did what I'm suggesting, but rather plugged in another device into the A/V input and found a way to switch them back and forth. A little less elegant, but still.

You may be right about security, not sure. When screwing around on the system, it looks like it has a way to push manual updates by SD card. Maybe they need a special encrypted signature, maybe they don't. Whole thing could be proprietary, but I'd be surprised if the base OS isn't some Linux variant, and there's probably a way to get to the shell from the screen (for developers). Drivers is a slightly bigger problem, but Android should theoretically be able to run on any device that runs on a Linux variant (see, e.g., HP's tablet that ran on WebOS, which can run Android now). You're right that you'd lose access to the car software (like the trip distance and certain visual representation of sensor data), but you don't just gain a phone--you gain a fully functioning OS from which you can run just about any app you could want. As long as you have the ability to toggle between them, it's the best possible result. Even if they do announce support for Android Audio, it would not likely allow you to run any app in the Android environment, just certain pre-approved apps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.