Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my 2016 Cayman GTS because I have a 991.2 GT3 being delivered this week. What is the market price for my baby:

16,600 miles, great condition, GT silver with black 20 inch wheels with silver outline, 6 spd manual, leather/alcantara with carmine red stitching, 18 way seats with memory package, Burmeister audio, carmine red instrument dials, GTS interior package, premium package plus, sport suspension, torque vectoring, front and rear park assist with rear camera, Xpel to the front clip, mirrors, rockers, rear bumper

MSRP $98,490

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tough time of the year to sell a sports car. If doable I would hold onto it until the Spring.
imo well optioned and a my favorite color.
If you want to really move it this week and are in the Christmas mood I would give you $60k for it. Lol

But I think you should be able to do much better than that even on a trade in.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Answer: whatever the market will bear at the time you sell it.
Seriously, there are so many threads on this subject (and pricing is subjective) that it's hard to take it seriously. How's that for circular reasoning?
Anyway, you have described a beautiful, well-optioned car that will be a great find for the right buyer. If you wish to consider consigning it to a broker, I can recommend Modern Classic Motorcars in Charleston, SC. They found a buyer for my 2016 GT4 at a fair price for all parties, after I spent months of time and effort trying to market it myself. So there's a real suggestion instead of a glib reply. GLWS!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Autotrader has several listed. They range from $70k to $80k as an asking price. One private party was asking $74k. So my guess would be low seventies. I would try selling it through PCA before going though a middle man. I am not sure how much of a hurry that you are in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Take your car and title to the nearest Porsche dealer and have them appraise it. That’s what it’s worth. Not to be a smartass but your car is worth what a buyer is willing to pay you for it.

About a month ago I helped my aging dad in this exact same way. The closest Porsche dealer bought his 911 on the spot.

If you’ve got the time and the willingness to bang you’re head against the wall, you might do better trying to find a retail buyer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the responses so far. I’m taking a pretty big depreciation hit on the Cayman by selling after only 18 months so I’m trying to minimize the damage.

There are reasons why I am not applying the Cayman sale to the GT3 deal. I went to a competing Porsche dealer and they offered $4k more than the GT3 dealer; realizing how much variability there can be I’m trying to assess what the real value is, which of course is simply what the market will bear. I’m also trying to assess whether selling on Autotrader is worth the hassle...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Answer: whatever the market will bear at the time you sell it.
Seriously, there are so many threads on this subject (and pricing is subjective) that it's hard to take it seriously. How's that for circular reasoning?
Anyway, you have described a beautiful, well-optioned car that will be a great find for the right buyer. If you wish to consider consigning it to a broker, I can recommend Modern Classic Motorcars in Charleston, SC. They found a buyer for my 2016 GT4 at a fair price for all parties, after I spent months of time and effort trying to market it myself. So there's a real suggestion instead of a glib reply. GLWS!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Modern Classic Motorcars is where I bought my 981 and they are a superb outfit, highly recommended. Upfront pricing and no surprises. They are just a few miles from where I live. Had Ceramic Pro applied to my "new" baby next door to them at Paragon Auto Detailing.

Used Car Dealership Charleston SC | Modern Classic Motorcars

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I am selling my 2016 Cayman GTS. MSRP $98,490
We're on a similar boat, in that I'm considering selling my car with almost identical MSRP (for a few bucks, and also with about 4K in cosmetic extras)... but you have a much better advantage than me: buying another Porsche, and at list. Whether you get the extra $4K the other dealer offers or not (which I'd fight like crazy to get), consider the tax differential in your state, to arrive at the price equivalent to a private sale. For example, if you're offered $75K, in TX, it'd be the equivalent of selling it privately at about $80K, which is probably the highest we'd do. I checked PCA, and all cars are priced to the roof; in fact, even 2015s cheaper than ours are priced in the mid 80s; that's simply not realistic at all. You didn't mention the trade in prices you were offered, but I'd greatly appreciate if you let me know either here or via PM. I'm considering a MB, and with no local dealer (would get creamed by a wholesalear), my only chance is the Albuquerque MB dealer that also owns Porsche next door, and see how much I'd get. Might not be identical markets, but trade in prices should be very similar, and we're doing it at the same time. By the way, I bought my car from Loeber Motors in IL; they gave me a killer deal at 10% off (cash) right off the truck (plus included shipping), when everybody else wanted MSRP. If too low, I'd probably just replace the summer F1 tires with the DWS06s and keep the car, so at least I can use it safely in winter too (I don't track, so they should grip more than enough for the streets). I like it too much to give it away. But prefer something like a 63 coupe to be able to use it more with my wife. Otherwise, it sits for too long in the garage, plus can't use it in winter. She can't stand X73 anymore. Otherwise, I'd keep it for a long time (or I crap out; whichever comes first. He he).

Take your car and title to the nearest Porsche dealer and have them appraise it. That’s what it’s worth.
That's a different market man: wholesale vs retail. If you need to sell immediately, then yes, you're screwed; only a wholesaler (including dealers) have the money to buy it on the spot. Otherwise, you have the retail market, but takes longer. But when trading in an expensive car, most of the time the tax differential makes the difference so little it's not worth the hassle to sell privately... and that's what I try to do the great majority of the time. But in my case, might be forced to sell it privately when the time comes because no way I'd do that at wholesale. That's the disadvantage of buying a car with no dealer anywhere close. And yes, if a buyer wants a PPI done by a dealer, you get into a snag;).

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a 2016 CGTS with similar options including Burmester. You edge me out a little on goodies. It had 7k when I bought it earlier this year. Just to give you an idea, I bought mine for 78k.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
When I'm trying to come up with a private party price, I'll go half way between NADA clean trade and clean retail. Retail is what dealers get. You're not a dealer and won't get full retail because you don't offer trade-ins, financing, and warranties. So you have to offer lower price - hence the formula I use. There are so few GTSs on the mkt, it will be harder to quantify the lack of data pts. Autotrader generally has high prices, so you have to ratchet down from those. There are a couple of GTSs on PCA.org. My est is similar to what others have said - low $70s.
Put an ad on PCA at $74.9 and be willing to drop a cpl thousand on an offer.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Wanted to post my results. Got offered $68K by the ALB MB/Audi/Porsche dealer. So local Audi/LR/Jaguar/Subaru dealer would offer less, right? To my surprise, they offered $72K, which is still low IMO, but quite a bit better than the OP, and from a 'lowly' market. Don't know if I'm going to do anything. Waiting for quotes to order a new MB E400 coupe, and specs from a new TTRS arriving locally. ALB has a TTRS more or less how I order it (no 20" wheels, no dynamic package to get adaptive dampers, no loud sport exhaust), but with nappa leather and tech package with nav, B&O stereo, virtual cockpit, etc. Will start a new thread to see what the gang thinks of basically swapping a CGTS for a TTRS, with no ventilated seats, no memory or power steering column, but with AWD (to be able to go to the mountain cabin), and my wife can recline her seat on trips. The only other thing I need to find out is if it's quieter than my car inside. To my surprise, the TTRS is significantly quicker, to make up for the deficit in chassis balance, I guess. But at less than the limit, should still be fun to drive. Will think long and hard even if I get the offers I should. Otherwise I'd just replace the crappy summers with DWS06s and keep it, even with its 'flaws', and screw my wife. Ha ha.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wanted to post my results. Got offered $68K by the ALB MB/Audi/Porsche dealer. So local Audi/LR/Jaguar/Subaru dealer would offer less, right? To my surprise, they offered $72K, which is still low IMO, but quite a bit better than the OP, and from a 'lowly' market. Don't know if I'm going to do anything. Waiting for quotes to order a new MB E400 coupe, and specs from a new TTRS arriving locally. ALB has a TTRS more or less how I order it (no 20" wheels, no dynamic package to get adaptive dampers, no loud sport exhaust), but with nappa leather and tech package with nav, B&O stereo, virtual cockpit, etc. Will start a new thread to see what the gang thinks of basically swapping a CGTS for a TTRS, with no ventilated seats, no memory or power steering column, but with AWD (to be able to go to the mountain cabin), and my wife can recline her seat on trips. The only other thing I need to find out is if it's quieter than my car inside. To my surprise, the TTRS is significantly quicker, to make up for the deficit in chassis balance, I guess. But at less than the limit, should still be fun to drive. Will think long and hard even if I get the offers I should. Otherwise I'd just replace the crappy summers with DWS06s and keep it, even with its 'flaws', and screw my wife. Ha ha.
If I was offered $72k cash from a reputable dealer for a car I was seriously considering selling, after several knowegable people on a Porsche forum told me that “low $70s” would be the right price, I’d have let it go. You’re got where you needed to without any headaches or hassles!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
For the car I was seriously consider buying got offered 68;). And that price is for a quick sale, not what the car is really worth. I don't have to sell, so have that to my advantage. Nor do I really want to sell my car, which makes things harder, since I don't want to just 'settle' for something. No decision will be without regrets, since I can't have everything in one car. Still seriously considering just changing the tires and keeping my car. Still have to hear a couple of options, after which I'd make my decision. By the way, if at all, I'd only trade my car for 72 since that equates to 76.5 with the tax differential. Would never sell it for that outright. I should easily get 78 privately, but if I'm going to trade, it's not worth the hassle of putting it in the market for just 1.5 difference. But yes, it pains me to almost give it away. He he. It's in immaculate condition. By the way, it looks just like yours (in your avatar). Good day folks.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
A dealership will try to buy a car at the lowest possible price, just like we do when we buy a car from a dealership. Selling a sports car to a dealer in the northeast in the December - February time frame is not a good idea. Actually in my area, Maryland, mid March is the time of year that will result in the best offers from dealers. Of course December is a great time to buy that $135K 911 that is languishing on a dealer's lot. Any loss on a used car worth around $70K will be easily offset by the discount on the more expensive car.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Also realize that if you do the deal with the dealer - it will reduce your tax owed on the GT3.
Assume you outright own the Cayman and you get $75k for it
Assume the GT3 costs $150k

If you sell the Cayman and buy the GT3 with no trade in - you pay tax on the full $150k (say 7% tax rate) = $10,500 in taxes
If you trade in the Cayman and they give you $75k, you apply that to the cost of the GT3 and effectively only pay tax on the remaining $75k = $5,250 in taxes

Reactions: cobby
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.