Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was delivered on the 23rd, I dropped it off the very next day for xpel install and picked it up today.

Today was the first day I saw it in day light and the Xpel installer and I found three spots that are clearly paint damage from the factory :(

I am going to write my SA here in a minute about these defects. I've never bought a new car before, let alone one this expensive. What should I request in terms of repair, etc.?

Worst spot first: corner of the aluminum body shell --> looks like this spot was allowed to touch something when the paint was still semi-wet causing it to tear

20141227_163340.jpg

20141227_123521.jpg 20141227_123538.jpg

Next: Middle of the bottom of the rocker panel on the driver side --> again it looks like something brushed into the paint while it was wet and left a series of marks. The rocker itself is not damaged, just the paint. The line you see above the damage is the start of the xpel ultimate wrap.

20141227_162936.jpg

Finally: Middle of the bottom of the rocker panel on the passenger side --> same problem as the driver side in the same spot. The damage isn't as bad, but the xpel wrap is sitting over the damage, so the xpel will need to be removed for any repair work. Due to low light, I could not get my cell phone to focus properly. I tried multiple times to get a good shot.

20141227_163321.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
You might get some extreme answers here . . . to include send it back . . . but I wouldn't go that route. :)

I would be extremely frustrated if my new car came like that but I don't see anything that can't be easily fixed. And white is one of the easiest colors to fix.

I actually had a new Audi that had worse blemishes. To make it worse the paint was metallic silver. The dealership fixed it and I could never tell where the problems were. I bought a white Mercedes that had been an "executive car". The front bumper was scratched pretty bad. Again the dealership fixed it to the point that you would never know it was damaged.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
My car was delivered on the 23rd, I dropped it off the very next day for xpel install and picked it up today.

Today was the first day I saw it in day light and the Xpel installer and I found three spots that are clearly paint damage from the factory :(

I am going to write my SA here in a minute about these defects. I've never bought a new car before, let alone one this expensive. What should I request in terms of repair, etc.?

Worst spot first: corner of the aluminum body shell --> looks like this spot was allowed to touch something when the paint was still semi-wet causing it to tear

View attachment 54264

View attachment 54265 View attachment 54266

Next: Middle of the bottom of the rocker panel on the driver side --> again it looks like something brushed into the paint while it was wet and left a series of marks. The rocker itself is not damaged, just the paint. The line you see above the damage is the start of the xpel ultimate wrap.

View attachment 54267

Finally: Middle of the bottom of the rocker panel on the passenger side --> same problem as the driver side in the same spot. The damage isn't as bad, but the xpel wrap is sitting over the damage, so the xpel will need to be removed for any repair work. Due to low light, I could not get my cell phone to focus properly. I tried multiple times to get a good shot.

View attachment 54268
Sorry Eteled for the issues. But there a number of well posted threads herein that discuss the need to inspect every thing very carefully before handing over the final check. Many feel a couple of hours minimum look see and a drive all before signing the papers is needed to catch stuff. Once you sign on dotted line you own it, not Porsche, and you lose a lot of leverage.

The Xpel also now being installed could be an issue if pieces need to be removed to do corrective rework. Maybe now some debate with Dealer as to getting any Xpel redo paid for!!

Definitely fixable and now your aggravation is the issue. Good luck.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this. I too have factory paint issues. My issue is on the rocker panel seam where it meets the body (in the horizontal seam right above the side intake). The problem is that the paint has chipped in a few places. Here's the thread of mine and another members similar issue: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...99005-paint-peel-2-weeks-advise-please-6.html.

In a nut shell, the dealership sent my car to their Porsche certified body shop but a combination of the repaint not sticking and horrible quality and finish of the clear coat, I'm waiting for a new panel for a second attempt.

I think all we can really do is let the dealership fix the issue. But, stay involved as much as possible. I was able to speak to the body shop to discuss their approach and what it exactly entailed since I wanted to know if they would be blending more than just the clear coat onto surrounding body panels. And, given the horrid quality of their first attempt, I'll be even more involved prior to the second attempt.

Since the local Porsche rep was informed from the get-go, I'll be writing a letter to PCNA. It's unforunate we need to deal with these issues on brand new ordered cars. With what I've read about thin paint and these issues, I would have to guess Porsche quality is slipping or not what I had imagined.

Good luck and try not to stress over it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Eteled for the issues. But there a number of well posted threads herein that discuss the need to inspect every thing very carefully before handing over the final check. Many feel a couple of hours minimum look see and a drive all before signing the papers is needed to catch stuff. Once you sign on dotted line you own it, not Porsche, and you lose a lot of leverage.

The Xpel also now being installed could be an issue if pieces need to be removed to do corrective rework. Maybe now some debate with Dealer as to getting any Xpel redo paid for!!

Definitely fixable and now your aggravation is the issue. Good luck.

:cheers:
I didn't get a chance to go over the car prior as my SA had me come in a few days before the car arrived to sign all the paperwork and submit payment.

I don't believe that the dealer will put up much of a hassle to have these areas repaired. I stopped counting the number of times my SA said that he needed, ''All excellent blocks on the PCNA survey, anything less is a failure.'' The damage clearly occurred during the manufacturing process. I don't know how else you could get such tearing and rippling of paint after it had cured. At least you can see how thick the paint is on the car...

If my dealer/SA fight the repair, I'll go to PCNA directly and other consumer advocate venues. White should be an easy fix and I am primarily concerned with the section near the tail light as there is aluminum just under the white primer.

I will have to talk with the Xpel guy and I reckon that he'll rewrap the areas if needed. He shouldn't have wrapped them if he thought there was manufacture paint defects, he should have called me. He's a good guy and only the one spot is partially covered.

What bothers me is that I'll again be without my Porsche.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I didn't get a chance to go over the car prior as my SA had me come in a few days before the car arrived to sign all the paperwork and submit payment.

I stopped counting the number of times my SA said that he needed, ''All excellent blocks on the PCNA survey, anything less is a failure.''
You paid before the car even got there?

What dealership was this? They totally took advantage of you and your first new car buying experience. You should be livid.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hello Eteled,

Sorry for this small let down. My advice is to not let it bother you, and certainly don't over react. It is fixable, just part of life. First, give your SA the opportunity to earn his excellent rating. If you sense any roadblocks, or departmental push back, you can help things along by speaking directly to the general manager. It will get resolved, I hope you still enjoy the car. Best of luck to you.

Mc

Reactions: Rickyb

·
Registered
728 Posts
If it was me I would go to a body shop and get an estimate. And Then go to the dealer and try to get compensation from the dealer or Porsche. The car could've been touched up at port or at the dealer you really don't know where. After you get compensation I would just keep the money and live with it . After a while you won't notice and it won't be an issue when you sell the car. I know it's not fun Getting your first new car and its not perfect. unfortunately it happens more often than you think.

The other thing to consider is having the clear bra removed if there was any other touch up done the paint could come off when they remove the clear bra. That happened to me on a 14 CS a chunk of paint came off the front bumper when I had the clear bra replaced. You could see where to been touched up probably at port. I just retouched it up buffed it out and replaced the clear bra. . Was never an issue when I traded it in.carl

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

What dealership was this? They totally took advantage of you and your first new car buying experience. You should be livid.
I know it is a bad situation, but the dealer didn't process any paperwork until delivery. They wanted to make sure that a paperwork snafu wouldn't hold up delivery since they had limited hours due to the holidays. We completed paperwork after the car cleared port and was awaiting transport. In retrospect, I should have told them that we'd wait until the car arrived.

If the dealer balks at repairing the problem areas, I'll seek necessary recourse. I hope it doesn't come to that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe these scratches happened during shipping the car and then the dealer fixed them quickly?
We had similar incidents in our region and now the dealers have to notify the potential buyers "in writing" of every fix they've done to the car, otherwise they will get to pay a fine and their workshop permit will halt once discovered.

Maybe a paint depth checker will tell the truth on this.
main_large.jpg

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

This seems excessive. By all accounts, the salesman probably knew nothing about it and eteled's impression is that the dealer will probably do whatever they can to fix it. I think you may have mis-read that. I don't think he's filled out the survey yet. It's not like the dealer rushed him into filling it out with all top ratings and then sent him on his way.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
728 Posts
This seems excessive. By all accounts, the salesman probably knew nothing about it and eteled's impression is that the dealer will probably do whatever they can to fix it. I think you may have mis-read that. I don't think he's filled out the survey yet. It's not like the dealer rushed him into filling it out with all top ratings and then sent him on his way.
Maybe, but my stealership radar went off on those two strikes I quoted.

First, having him come in and submit payment a week before the new year sounds like they are just trying to puff up their end of the month/year sales figures. Second, he lost count of how many times the SA tried to pressure him into giving all excellent mark on the survey(which you don't get until a few weeks after you buy the car)

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Maybe, but my stealership radar went off on those two strikes I quoted.

First, having him come in and submit payment a week before the new year sounds like they are just trying to puff up their end of the month/year sales figures. Second, he lost count of how many times the SA tried to pressure him into giving all excellent mark on the survey(which you don't get until a few weeks after you buy the car)
And I'm afraid it's not that uncommon. My car arrived the last week of October, a few weeks early. I was also out of the country at that time. My dealer tried to convince me to sign the paperwork and Fedex it along with the check before the month ended. I wasn't having it... The incentive to me would have to be HUGE for me to even consider it. My SA eventually dropped the idea but I got the impression by how matter-of-factly he made the proposal that it was not uncommon.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Mine didn't ask for payment early or anything, but he did stress how important it was for the survey to be filled out with all top marks. If you do some research on how dealerships and surveys work though, you'll quickly see why this is so important to them and why they stress it. Those surveys aren't meant to be filled out "honestly". If they get anything but the very best scores, they can be harshly penalized for it.

And when I say "honestly", I mean how you'd normally fill out such a thing. I'd normally never give the very top marks on a survey unless someone went extremely out of the way to do something phenomenal. That's just the way I am. I mean... things are never perfect, right? There are always things that could use just a little improvement. But that's now how these work. They don't want you to be dishonest and give good marks for bad service. They just want to be very clear about how important the top marks are such that if you're even considering something less, they want you to address it with them first to give them the chance to earn it if they haven't already.

When my SA brought it up, I just laughed. I mean... my whole sales process was an absolute pleasure and my SA had gone above and beyond MANY times throughout so he had nothing to worry about. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
IMO, its not that bad...though I agree its unacceptable.
I am sorry to disagree with the majority here - that paint is unacceptable in any car let alone a 'premier marque'!
Something has gone dramatically wrong with quality assurance and checks here!! This should not have been allowed got leave the factory like this. Get it checked professionally to find out what has happened. It may have been re-sprayed locally after leaving the factory? It simply is not good enough and I would go in 'hard' and demand answers!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I would be surprised if there was enough delay to have the car repainted outside the factory as the timeline from build date to delivery is pretty tight. Car was completed Nov. 28th and on a boat Dec. 5th. It arrived in Davisville on Dec. 16, cleared the port on the 17th, was picked up for transport on the 20th, dropped off at my dealer on the 22nd and I picked it up on the 23rd. 10 miles were on the odometer when I took delivery. All of the cases of respray work I've read about involve a one/two week delay at the port.

To me it looks like the defect on the aluminum body panel is covered in clear coat; i.e. the white under the white is reflective. I think that spot is clearly where that corner of the panel touched something, there was a blob of paint that got yanked off or a bubble formed there and burst. In either event, the resulting paint damage is hard to the touch.

The rocker panel defects are in the same spot on either side of the car. This defect is similar in that the paint is rippled onto itself. Again, it looks like something was allowed brush up against the panels, they were rested on something prior to install or possibly a tie-down was ratcheted there with enough force to damage the paint. The defects on both side are also hard to the touch.

The car has 217 miles on it and I reckon my next 8 will be to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Not sure... I had paint issues on my VW golf and the VW said the 'rough bumps' are from stuff in the paint that tried that way. The sides had 'brighter strips' and I was told that was the spray pattern. I had lighter spot on the roof that was only visible from certain angles and VW swore it wasn't from the factory but rather looked like a repair job after the fact...no idea.

The VW was repainted after hitting a deer and getting keyed years later. Honestly the body shop paint work looked better than factory, but they had to take the panels off/on and overall the car got 'dirtier' inside that I could never clean the same and lost its 'factory new' look. The back bumper had never been painted and is a slightly different shade that the rest of the car...no worse than how all 981 hoods (metal) don't match the bump and rocker panels 100% (plastic).

IMO its just paint and doesn't matter... you can't see those imperfections in realistic conditions and they don't harm the drive ability of the car. After use, you'll get paint chips and imperfections everywhere anyway. If you're going to use a microsope to find problems in your car, you're going to go crazy...perfectionist DOES lead to insanity.

I wouldn't get the car re-sprayed just for the minor details in the pictures. Its not like there is a big obvious blob on the hood/door panel or anything...

Yes is unacceptable and for quality like that in a high brand 'Porsche,' but really its normal for most cars to have some imperfections from the factory...its just that most people don't go looking for them. Think about driving it for 2 years... are those paint imperfections really going to matter much by then.

·
Registered
728 Posts
From what I've seen in pictures it looks like the damage is below the line of sight. As I said in my earlier post I think you're better off getting an estimate and then taking the money. You won't notice it or pay attention to it after a while. You will open a whole can of worms and other problems having paint work done. I'm not saying it couldn't be perfect but the odds are against it. Somethings you just need to accept and move on. I know it's disappointing..carl

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with both minthral and carl44 about the paint defects on the rocker panels. The defects are visible at the side of the car, but you'd have to be looking for them and the car would need to be spotlessly clean for them to stand out. My concern there is that if the paint starts to flake and the affected area grows in size. Ideally, the xpel wrap will cover both places.

However, the defect near the tail light is a different story. That spot is in an obvious location and is visible. More troubling is that there is metal underneath and the paint does offer a layer of protection to the metal. It was raining on the day I took delivery and on the following day when I drove the car to the Xpel installer. So, I didn't see it. I got it back yesterday and in the unseasonably sunny warm weather, the defect stood out from a few feet away. Click on the below image twice (will open in another window and then you can zoom in).

20141227_141931.jpg

1 - 20 of 91 Posts