Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm new and from the UK. From what I have seen having a quick look around the forums it's mostly U.S members here, not that it matters :)
Similar to another poster I have owned BMW's in fact only BMW's before. My last two sporty BMW's being E86 Z4 Coupes (one Si and one Z4 M Coupe). Both were fabulous, the Z4 M Coupe more notably so, and am wanting something similar and the current Cayman/Boxster's I consider a natural progression for those who want a two seater sportscar of German quality.
I've also never bought a brand new car before (usually 8 months -2 years old)so am looking to treat myself to a purchase to keep for the long term, the only way I can really justify paying a new car price! (I don't like opening my wallet too often :) ).
So I thought "right, okay, lets see what I can come up with using the configurator" and fairly soon afterwards I found myself overloaded with choices. As I am looking to be a long term owner it initially made better sense to look at the 2.7 as a good all rounder (performance vs economy and overall running costs). After adding premium paint,PDK, PASM, Torque Vectoring, PSE and a few electrical basics (folding mirrors), some carbon trim I found the price was up to £53k. I sent this to the dealer and will be getting together with them hopefully next week and to test a Boxster and a Cayman and to discuss specifications more. Anyway, I found myself looking at the Cayman GTS configurator and found it was only a few thousand more albeit not with some of the options I had put on the 2.7 (pdk for example).Now I'm just thinking why not just get the GTS, add the Torque Vectoring and have the manual (instead of PDK) and go for basic paint and it won't be much more than the 2.7.
Here's my 2.7 spec which I am thinking about abandoning and trying for a GTS with just PTV and a few cheap options like rear parking assist only and sports exhaust tips and having the manual instead of the PDK :
Cayman 2.7
Exterior Colour R2 Lime Gold Metallic £ 1,595.00 (think I would ditch this for the Carmaine red instead if I did go 2.7 route)
Interior Colour AZ Black leather interior £ 2,174.00
Exterior 498 Deletion of model designation £ 0.00
636 ParkAssist (front and rear) £ 599.00
748 Electrically folding exterior mirrors £ 203.00
DBR Exterior package painted Exclusive £ 851.00
Transmission / Chassis 220 Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) incl.
mechanically locking rear differential
£ 890.00
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) £ 1,922.00
475 Porsche Active Suspension Management
(PASM)
£ 971.00
XLF Sports exhaust system Exclusive £ 1,530.00
Wheels 400 19-inch Boxster S wheels £ 971.00
Interior P04 Sports seats Plus (2-way, electric) £ 312.00
P13 Automatically dimming mirrors with
integrated rain sensor
£ 332.00
Interior Leather 840 SportDesign steering wheel £ 284.00
Interior Carbon EEJ Carbon interior package (with leather
interior/with PDK) Exclusive
£ 1,008.00
XHM Centre console trim in carbon Exclusive £ 341.00

Hopefully when I do the test drives they will have one car with PDK and one car manual to try, so hopefully can cover the 2.7, 3.4, PDK and manual during the test drives. If I find I really want the PDK then maybe will just go the 2.7 route unless I find I must have the 3.4 too but then I think the dealer would have to help me out with a deal as I'm reluctant really to go much beyond £50k.

Anyone else initially looked at the 2.7 and then thought "sod it" and got the GTS? I have read somewhere that it makes sense to either get a poverty spec 2.7 or a GTS and I know why now (as the price of the base 2.7 gets close to the GTS with a few options added :) )

Also, anyone in the UK know about build times? I read somewhere that the GTS builds have made way for the GT4, does that affect the 2.7 too?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Don't forget the Cayman S either. It splits the difference in price between the base and the GTS and might make more financial sense for you depending on the options you want.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Welcome to the forum, there is plenty of UK people here!

I'm in the camp that thinks that base 981 is underpowered for a sports car made in 2015. Get an S or GTS for sure. And yes, they'll have a lot of costly options on a base - already included. And if you are worried about minuscule fuel economy difference between base and S - may be you shouldn't be getting a sports car :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hi and welcome from another Brit. I'm with T-Design on the preference for an S or GTS for the same reasons. The 2.7 is a superb car but you have to work it to get the best from it. You should definately try both PDK and manual before you buy as they are quite different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely give more consideration to the S and GTS.
Not worried about fuel economy, heck I did 70+ thousand miles in a rated 23mpg(euro) Z4 M over 3.5 years but something to consider in an overall package for a long term purchase. If buying for a few years I would care less about that aspect but as stated above the differences isn't massive anyway :).
Although I don't currently intend to do track days in the Porsche at present, I do recall seeing a video of a base Cayman being faster than a BMW M235(340bhp) so know even the 2.7 is very capable on track, assuming that the track test was not fixed to favour the Porsche. But yes it could be a bit underpowered on the road depending on ones expectations.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
That's right. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that the base 981 is a quite capable sports car. From a horsepower perspective, while it is not as strong a player in today's market as the S or GTS, it compares quite favorably with Porsche 911s from not that many years ago.

The strongest values with the GTS is built-in options that will sustain the value of the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was going to buy a base Cayman even took my wife to see one and then while at the dealership realized with the options I wanted a Cayman S was not that much more expensive (wheels, headlights, stereo are upgraded on the S) I also then considered the GTS but the discount I could get on the S was much more than the GTS so that decided for me. I test drove both base and S and S just felt right.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I am a broken record on the forum with the following comment. Each to his own specification which certainly may include price. For my specification having owned an 08 CS, CR and now the 981 2.7L, the 981 is exactly what I like. Part of the specification included consideration of a move from 6MT to PDK. It also included CPO (CR and 981 both acquired that way.....).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here in the UK at least the difference between my base cayman spec and a GTS is less than £10,000 which isn't too bad unless the dealer would allow more negotiation on the base Cayman than they would on the GTS. It's not quite like for like as the carbon parts worth £1300 I have left off the GTS but with those inlcuded the difference is just under £10,000. Put it another way the GTS is 20.6% more expensive than the base cayman in the spec I would be looking for. Only other minor difference is on the base model the sports exhaust includes the tips where as on the GTS is another £300 or so to get the sports exhaust tips.The GTS does include 20' wheels where my base spec had only 19's so the GTS price difference would include a wheel upgrade and all the other extra's my spec doesnt include. Will do the same for the S too where I estimate the difference will be about £3k to the GTS..

All food for thought and will be good to see what the dealers thoughts are on my various configurations their pricing :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am a broken record on the forum with the following comment. Each to his own specification which certainly may include price. For my specification having owned an 08 CS, CR and now the 981 2.7L, the 981 is exactly what I like. Part of the specification included consideration of a move from 6MT to PDK. It also included CPO (CR and 981 both acquired that way.....).
I've now come up with various configurations but unless a 3.4 blows be away and/or the PDK disappoints my preferred option is currently a base 2.7 with PDK and a few other extras that I would like. As a daily driver I like the thought of just having the std 18 wheels too and know if I venture out on track they 18's will be very good, providing more feedback at the limit than 20's and probably lighter too. It's also a nice challenge to peddle a slower car round a track fast rather than a faster one which is expected to be fast and do feel the 2.7 will be enough for my needs - I'm not so bothered about all-out straight line pace these days(sign of getting older? :) ).

Obviously not 100% decided yet but preferred spec is pretty much same as my previous one albeit with Carmine Red instead of Lime Gold exterior. I was tempted to add some interior leather stuff (dash and doors) but want to keep the weight down and cost as the std interior plastics look decent enough. Not sure the PTV is really needed on the 2.7 but is something I have always had (limited slip differential) on sports cars.

Carmine Red, Black leather interior, deletion of model designation, park assist (rear), exterior package painted, PTV, PDK, PASM, Sports Exhaust, 18 inch Cayman wheels, Sports Seats Plus (2 way), dimming mirrors with rain sensor, SportsDesign steering wheel, Carbon interior package (with leather/with PDK), centre console in carbon.

The total comes to £52,252 and hoping if I go for this I will be able to get it down to around £50k. What are the chances? Alternatively I will try to think of a few options that they could put on for free costing a few thousand but think I have pretty much what I want although the nav could be useful if free.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Sounds like a very nice specification. I think you should be able to negotiate around the price you propose, especially if you go into the dealership at the end of the month when they are desperate to make their targets.

Good hunting and keep us informed of the outcome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just noticed the base Cayman doesn't have Xenon headlights so if PDSL is the option I need to get the basic Xenons that'll be another £1061 on top. Really would have thought these would be standard these days on 'premium' cars. Maybe could do without them but think sitting low down they become more of a necessity I have found in the past.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If I were u i would try to get an S upgrade cheap. U might just get lucky. It is strange how these cars can make people lust for more. I've had my S 3 months and now wish I had a GT4.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
But where do you stop? If I went to the S I might as well go GTS that's a conclusiion I have already come to :).
I have done this once before (traded in to move to the faster model) and not sure it's something I would do again. It wasn't a mistake last time but think now I'd rather just get the car I'm happy with to the spec I want new and stick with it. Last time I did it (BMW Z4 3.0 Si(265bhp) to Z4 M Coupe (340bhp)) it was also to ditch the nasty runflats and gain Xenons, LSD and a other items I preferred (both were used car purchases with of course compromise regarding ideal spec).
It could be worth a try but so is just trying to negotiate on the 2.7 price :).

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
My 981 2.7L listed for $66,500 if memory serves. I got it for $57,500 as CPO with 5,800 miles on it and 6 months old. It has the 19" Cayman wheels, 14way seats, memory, PDLS, autoclimate, heated seats, Infotainment, PDK. It is Black with Luxor beige. It now has 20,000 miles on it and has been just about an ideal DD.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Not all of us are from the U.S. :)

Welcome to the forum and hopefully soon we'll welcome you in the saddle of your Stuttgart Stallion.

As for BASE vs GTS, I'd say this:
I believe the GTS overshadowed the S. So the question remains BASE vs GTS. If you can afford the difference in price, go for the GTS it's a more capable car on the street and the track. And it's more beautiful with the few touches of the body, headlights and tail lights.

Some are very happy with their BASE. Others had to replace it few months down the road with an S or GTS. It's a personal experience after all.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
But where do you stop? . . .
Good point, mate! PAG will always tempt you with more HP, etc. Look at how fast they went from S to GTS to GT4. It's never ending. If you mindlessly allow their marketing department to put you on their roller coaster you will eternally be dissatisfied as you keep marching from one car to the next faster version.

Here's another consideration: with the GTS, you'd be 'stuck' with the sport suspension. I say 'stuck' because the front of the car is already too close to the ground, given how far the nose extends in front of the front wheels. As a result, even without the sport suspension, you'll be fighting to not scratch up the bottom of your bumper in a variety of situations. The sport suspension lowers the car further, exacerbating this problem. Of course if you don't care about scratches to the bottom of the front bumper this won't be a problem. Whatever you decide, good luck!

·
Registered
349 Posts
The way I see it is that if you can afford the S or GTS then go for it.
If you "barely" can't afford it then rather have a lightly optioned S
Later on when you see that model after buying the base you will feel the regret.
My 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The way I see it is that if you can afford the S or GTS then go for it.
If you "barely" can't afford it then rather have a lightly optioned S
Later on when you see that model after buying the base you will feel the regret.
My 2c
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's an interesting dilema. Think I've already mentioned this but the GTS in the same spec as my 2.7, of course with the extra's the GTS has the price is £52,250 vs £62,500. At a very basic level that includes 20" wheels and Xenons which my base 2.7 doesn't have. Adding just those two to the 2.7 to make it more of a like for like comparison probably raises it by £2k at least meaning the difference is £8000 (not a huge amount). If I could drop the Carmine red for guards and the PDK for manual we're down to a difference of £4k I think to get the GTS, not a lot really. If I dropped the carbon interior parts that's another £1300 shaved off. All depends on how you look at it :). However, at this point I have lost a few of the options I would like. Could just have all the options on the GTS which would be the £62,500 price but affordability aside I'm not sure I want to pay or could justify paying that price :). But seeing how easily the two prices can get close, at least using my specs, you can understand why the S model is no longer applicable.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
It's an interesting dilema. Think I've already mentioned this but the GTS in the same spec as my 2.7, of course with the extra's the GTS has the price is £52,250 vs £62,500. At a very basic level that includes 20" wheels and Xenons which my base 2.7 doesn't have. Adding just those two to the 2.7 to make it more of a like for like comparison probably raises it by £2k at least meaning the difference is £8000 (not a huge amount). If I could drop the Carmine red for guards and the PDK for manual we're down to a difference of £4k I think to get the GTS, not a lot really. If I dropped the carbon interior parts that's another £1300 shaved off. All depends on how you look at it :). However, at this point I have lost a few of the options I would like. Could just have all the options on the GTS which would be the £62,500 price but affordability aside I'm not sure I want to pay or could justify paying that price :). But seeing how easily the two prices can get close, at least using my specs, you can understand why the S model is no longer applicable.
Get the GTS then add the carbon fiber bits later...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts