Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my front (Boxster S) caliper seals have become mostly melted. Can you confirm the boot and seal size is 38mm? I ordered a set from RB Performance Brakes and they sent me:
  • Dust Boots - 8 ea. (38mm)
  • Oil Seal - 8 ea. (38mm)
Also, I paid for the high temp versions which are blue. Have you heard of these? They were another $50.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
929 Posts
Correct. The OEM-style boots just seem to turn to dust after a year or so of track use. I've been just buying the Centric ones from FCPeuro and including them in my regular maintenance.

I found using a dental pick helps to remove the old ones. For installing the new ones I found this trick when I was rebuilding calipers on my e36:

1 - push the pistons out from the caliper about 1/2 inch, either with a little pressure using a Motive bleeder with the bleed values closed, or by using light pressure on the brake pedal. I recommend using a block of wood to keep the pistons from fully exiting, possibly with extreme force.
2 - optionally lubricate the boots with some brake assembly lube, especially on the mating rings
3 - flip the boots inside out
4 - slide and fit the boot to the grooves in the piston side first
5 - push down on the outer ring of the boot to flip it over and seat in the caliper side. The boots should flip back over nicely into an accordion position.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the details. The block of wood is a good tip. I used some compressed air with a block of wood to get the pistons out. I had one side come out fine but not the other. I used a C clamp and one of my shims to hold them in place to get the others out. What about the O rings on the inside? If they are not critical I would rather just replace the boot but the videos I have seen replace the ring as well.

Would you happen to know the torque specification for the hardlines to the caliper?

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
929 Posts
If you pop out the whole piston, not a bad idea to go ahead and replace those o-rings - you've pretty much completed a caliper rebuild at that point.

Brake line-to-caliper torque is 16nm (12 ft-lbs)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts