Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

long time lurker but first time poster. I can always give a clear view on help keep decide threads relating to other people, but for some reason when it's my own purchase I can't think as straight lol

I've been searching for a Cayman for a while
And have narrowed my search down to 2 cars. There are several factors involved with spec price etc, and in the end I think it boils down to one has sort Chrono and one doesn't. I've read countless threads on it and I feel sport Chrono is something I'd like as an option, not for the launch control but for the more aggressive throttle response and blips on downshift

Dealer retrofit is not a viable option for me

Resale aside, would you :-

- pay around the equivalent of $5k more for a car with sport Chrono or

-just get the non sport Chrono car, save $5k and just get a sprint booster (I'll have better throttle response but no blips on downshift As far as I know). I can live without Blips on downshifts But think the improved throttle response is more important to me

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is the main purpose of the car? Is it for tracking, DD, or just driving around back roads? How many miles do you estimate a year?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey stone kutter
It'll be my main vehicle but mainly for fun.... I live right in the city with lots of other transport options like the train etc.... so yes mainly back roads aNd late night blasts etc...

Maybe estimate around 6,000 miles a year

thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 2012 cayman base 2.9 with sport chrono,pdk car.
if I forget to turn sport button on,which is one of things you get with sport chrono,I feel that the car is no were near as responsive and it doesnt shift as fast or sound as good.
its not worth 5k but for me know ,I can’t buy one without it.
you can install the software for under 2000$ If you like the cheaper car.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Resale aside, would you :-

- pay around the equivalent of $5k more for a car with sport Chrono or

-just get the non sport Chrono car, save $5k and just get a sprint booster (I'll have better throttle response but no blips on downshift As far as I know). I can live without Blips on downshifts But think the improved throttle response is more important to me
It's not clear to me. Are they both PDK or MT6? Launch control only applies to PDK. OTOH, blipping isn't necessary w/PDK. I have a 2010 2.9L MT6 with Sprint Booster. It has 3 settings, I forget what they are called. The LED button shows the settings (Off, Green, Red). Off feels lethargic, Red (the highest boost) is a little too touchy for Daily Driving). Green is perfect - the way it should of been from the factory. No throttle blip - I do that with my heel-toe when necessary (when hard braking), or just blip the accelerator to RPM match for normal downshifting. So buy what you want. But IMO Sport Chrono isn't worth the extra $5K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies

Both cars are PDK... it's near impossible to find a manual where I live and I don't believe I've ever seen one for sale in the country .. there a handful of manual 911's but that's about it

So a PDK is the only Choice. Had a Tiptronic 911 in the past and really don't want another tip (nothing against it but just not for me)

the one without sport chrono (if it performs well on the PPI) could potentially be a good deal and I can use the extra saved to get mods and parts I want, including the sport design steering wheel (hate the buttons)

Thank you

·
Registered
47 Posts
Open up your search nationwide, there are manuals to be had if you are willing to venture out. It can be hard though right now given covid.

I have a manual 2.7 gen1 so can't offer you any more thoughts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boristhespyder.... I think no sport chrono would be something I'd really feel I've missed out on....or at least a spring booster to compensate

I used to work at a Ferrari dealership and spent a lot of time driving their cars (Nearly every working day) and I always had the manettino in race mode .... I imagine not having Sport Chrono would be like having permanent wet mode on in a Ferrari (just what I imagine as I have very little to no seat time in Caymans of any sort)

stonekutter - I now (recently moved to and live in) Malaysia and manuals are as rare as rocking horse poop 😅

·
Registered
2012 Cayman 2.9L PDK Sports Chrono
3 Posts
Had my 987.2 base with PDK and sports chrono for just over a year now - couldn't imagine trying to drive it hard on winding roads without the sports setting. The difference is chalk and cheese. I highly recommend it. Suggest you test drive with it both on and off in the right environment and you'll soon understand why it's worth it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a MT 2011 Boxster base with Sport Chrono and limited slip that is completely stock. The car was purchased in 2014 with 14k miles and now has 145K miles. It has been my daily driver and weekend autocross car. As to the Sport Chrono about the only time I put the car in Sport mode is when competing at autocross. To me the quicker response in Sport mode really doesn't do much considering the manual transmission gear ratios (40 mph in 1st, 70+ in 2nd, etc.). To me there is no way that having Sport Chrono would worth another $5k. Buy the vehicle that is in the best condition and you feel comfortable driving.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I would find the lowest milage 987.1 S in MT and PASM. Install a Wavetrac LSD, a Sprint Booster and TPC DSC controller. There you have it, much less money and more punch. If you want to modify, then you can add a Softronic Race Plenum and Soul long tube race headers. This would be my ideal car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With the PDK, the factory shift points are not fun without sport mode; this is the benefit of the sport button. You can get this remapped using the accesport for an S, but I don't think it is available for the base 987.2. So if you shift manually, lacking a sport button is of no concern. If you don't want to shift manually, the sports button makes a big difference.
A paddle shift wheel is nice for manual mode. Easy swap.
If the car for 5K more also has PASM , it is well worth considering, although this can be retrofitted using TPC DSC system.

The throttle response in sport mode is actually not any faster. It uses the same overly sensitive throttle pedal trick the corvettes used in the 70s and M3s and many others use today. It simply remaps your throttle pedal to give most of the power in the first half of pedal travel. It just makes your car jerk around which is not good for actual fast driving. The same goes for the transmission, it gives a kick when shifting but is not actually any faster. Any experienced track or autoX driver will tell you that smother is faster. When the Porsche factory driver came to our local track to show how fast the 987 was, he did not use sport mode due to the excessive throttle sensitivity.
The sprint booster is the same remapping of most of the power to first half of pedal travel; it does not make the engine respond faster. Unless you have some problem with your foot, you can move the pedal plenty fast where the booster does nothing except make the car hard to drive smooth in a corner.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Your market is Malaysia where for some reason the MT was not imported in any great numbers or those owner's are not selling. PDK with SC and PASM would be my pick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for each and every single reply they have all been very helpful.

Have just arranged a PPI for next week on the one with PDK/SportChrono (which has 2-3k less miles as well) so fingers crossed all goes well....

It also got a new water pump, new brake pads, all oils changed etc last October which is a good thing in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gotta get PDK with sports chrono and hopefully PSE. I went from MT to PDK with sports chrono and PSE and it was day vs night.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Jkay, I know its not easy deciding on a car with different options.
in either case, even a base model without SC is going to be fun to drive. in my view the SC option lets you keep the car on the boil without being too aggressive with throttle, which you need to be if you dont have SC.

hope the PPI went well....hope to see you on our drives soon.
do wave when you see any of us on the road esp. with the #PCBMY badge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts