Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all - Salem here.
Been reading the posts for a few months and finally registered today. Yes, yes - my first post is a question but I don't have a lot to add yet.

I'm ready to take the plunge and buy my second Porsche (had a 2000 Boxster from 99-01) and have decided on a 2014 Cayman S. The Cayman will see part time as a daily driver, splitting daily commuting duties (55 miles round trip) with a 4 door Jeep Wrangler (best converatable on the market IMHO).

The project started with a budgeted goal of low $50k base Cayman and now has moved into the range of low $60k for a Cayman S. While not exactly low $60k after lots of online research, hitting up local dealers, driving my wife crazy, and so forth, I found one that could work and am seeking some expert opinions.

Without further ado...

2014 Cayman S with 8,000 miles
GT Silver with black interior
sport design steering wheel (critical)
sport chrono
PASM
20" Carerra Classic wheels (favorite)
PDK (critical)
infotainment w/ Bose
premium package
14 way power sport seats
Bi-xenon with PDLS
Porsche CPO TO 100k miles (I place value on this)
$66,000

I understand and it was a dealership loaner car which does not seem to bother me given the CPO and the fact that other Porsche drivers were driving it therefore respecting it (benefit of he doubt here). I'm good with all the equipment and like the color combo - I simply want to engage an educated Porsche/Cayman audience on the price point.

I appreciate the feedback and thank you all in advance for your candid advice. Hopefully once I select the right Cayman for me and have more experiences I'll be able to contribute actively.

Salem

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's a decent offer. I'd have bought that if it had been available to me when I purchased a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Seems like a good deal. I went to the configurator, played with the options and that's a nice chunk of change for a new car. I however would be a bit skeptical about how loaner cars are driven, even by Porsche drivers. Just for that, I'd look into a PPI from an independent mechanic. Unless of course you are familiar with the dealership.

Having said that, I just wanted to sneak in that the word is "ado". Like this reply of mine is much ado about nothing...well maybe something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha - my degrees are obviously not in the right subjects (and 15 years ago) to have caught that one. Thanks.

The MSRP was $85,390 and I would agree - a lot of coin for a car and not exactly how I would have configured it if I was ordering but with all the equipment seems like a savings and some "nice to haves".

The CPO gives me some peace of mind and I offered $64k when they were asking $67k - came down to $66k. Weren't willing to go any lower a week ago. I don't want to loose the car over a couple grand...BUT...

Then the fun of getting it back...shipping headaches vs timing a winter road trip. Midwest to Colorado!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
There's one thing going for you. They really really want to sell the car before the end of the year (inventory fees, spaceblah blah) and they might be willing to bend a couple of their rules to accommodate a serious buyer. If you could pay in cash, you could probably waltz in the front door and say "Cash, $60K - let's do this". You don't have to worry about "breaking it in" (*looks around and ducks*) and it is a particularly warm winter this year.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I assume you've looked at the service records. I would also ask them to pull the DME report from the car and make the sale contingent on your approval. The DME report will tell you the total time the engine has touched or exceeded redlined. I would walk if it shows range 3 and above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Salem

I just bought my 2014 Cayman S a month ago and I would have to say that appears to be a pretty good deal...at least to me. Of course do your due diligence regarding condition

My Cayman S had 1,100 miles/6MT/CPO and the original MSRP was 77K. After a bit of negotiation I managed to get it for a couple grand (not quite) less than the 66K they are asking for your potential purchase. Although a good deal IMHO, I think you might have a little room to make a good deal...a great one.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I agree with the DME report. Customer loaner concerns me even with the CPO. You read, unfortunately, where some folks advise things like drive it like you stole it....also suspect the breakin was not consistent with Porsche recommendations, though some pooh pooh, this......it still stands it was probably ignored. You also do not know how the brakes were bedded in.........likely not according to recommendations and those are not covered under warranty. Just sayin' For the record I am a strong CPO proponent with having obtained my Cayman R and current 981 that way with 0 problems in both cases. But, they were individual owners who had intended to keep them for awhile.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
It priced out on Kelly's blue book at about 71,000 for a CPO. But this price did not include PASM, sport design steering wheel and GT silver which were not options on their site. Options are not going to add a lot to used car anyway. It is a used car with 8,000 miles BTW. I would say it's a good deal but you could get more off the price no doubt. They want to sell it, especially since its a 2014. Most dealers are using SUVs as loaners and not sports cars.

As far as the loaner issue is concerned: I would not worry that someone reved the car above 4200 rpm. That's not an issue and I am sure that was done many many times as a loaner. I would be far more concerned that they did this while the engine was still cold. That probably happened. This is why I buy all my cars new, treat them well and keep them forever. :2cents:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay - so its done!

I ended up buying the Cayman S I posted about above and sealed the deal at $64,700 (original MSRP was $84,390). I feel pretty good about the deal...nearly $20k off MSRP under 8k miles and CPO!

Now if the shipping company can get it picked up and get it here to Denver with all the crazy weather...when it arrives and the weather is good I'll post a few pictures.

Thanks! I look forward to actively crusing Planet-9!
Salem

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats! That's a great ride at a good price. Enjoy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats...IMHO you nailed a "great" deal. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's a decent deal. Build aside from color and platinum satin wheels is exactly the same as mine. I just crossed 8k miles too. Figure what you paid is close to what mine has depreciated to. Good luck with the car, it's great!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Congrats...IMHO you nailed a "great" deal. Enjoy it.
Good, not great deal, that color combo is very common. I've seen similar ones going for $57K back in Sept when I was looking. Congrats to the OP, hope to see you driving around in Colorado. For comparison, my BS was close to 100K MSRP with less than 8,000, rare color combo for mid 60's. Mine isn't CPO though, which is nice to have.

·
Incurable Gearhead
993 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ynot: I looked pretty hard for several months for well optioned Cayman S using Porsche.com, Car Gurus, Auto Trader, and Cars.com and nowhere did/do I see Cayman S's in the $57k range...today asking prices barely seem to be getting below $60k. Was there another source you leveraged that I didn't...curious?

steve1ddd: I commute daily from Wash Park to Broomfield (I25 & 36) - maybe I'll see you around! Related...since I started my crazy search 3 months ago and got serious last month I have only seen ONE Cayman the entire time (Cherry Creek...go figure)...now I'll see one every day! They seem quite rare in Denver.

Arch: Thanks...Can't wait to hit Loveland and Rabbit Ears Passes in a few months...I make the drive to both Keystone and Steamboat often (my wife might have to follow in the Jeep or 4Runner with the 2 little girls and my 9 year old boy riding shotgun with me!)...in the meantime I'll schlep it out on the freeway in traffic as weather permits!

All: I appreciate the deal feedback and validation. On to the waiters club as my car is getting put on a truck today/tomorrow and should arrive Monday!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also - steve1ddd --> Thanks for the tip on the dealerships!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Salem:

Nice collection of options, IMO. I really appreciate you telling us the final sale price, because that helps those of us still searching. I saw this vehicle on the Napleton web site, too, and thought it could be had and would be a good deal at $64K to $65K (exactly where you landed). So, you were at about 77% of MSRP (23% discount).

I have been scouring sites for about 4-months and have only seen one other similar vehicle recently listed. There was GT Silver S listed at a luxury used car dealership (not a Porsche dealer) in CA a month or two back. It even had a higher MSRP than your vehicle with an upgraded interior and, IIRC, PSE. However it had around 25K miles and no CPO. It was listed at $59K and sold quickly.

Much like you earlier in your search, I am looking for a 2.7 rather than an S, but am also attracted by some S listings with attractive option packages and discounts. However, I hope to stick to my guns on the 2.7 :)

I am seeing some 2.7s with CPOs at even greater than 25% discounts, but they are rare. It does seem that as the discount approaches 25% from MSRP (with CPO) there is always some "baggage", such as multiple owner or loaner.

Also much like you, my search will likely take me out-of-state. How did you get comfortable with the condition of the vehicle based on images only? Did you request additional detailed pictures? How about PPI, did you have one done or are you counting on the CPO? With a CPO and PDK, a PPI seems much less valuable to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Bfordmn -
Thanks and I figure we can't help each other out unless we share that type of data.
Yep - it’s the Napleton Cayman S I bought...mine...mine...all mine! (comical evil laugh)

As for the other Cayman S you referenced - 25k miles is a lot different to me than 8k...that's a TON of miles for a 2014 car regardless of the in-service date...I wouldn't have even entertained that...even at $59k.

The local dealerships had nothing to offer within $5k of my target price and strangely many of the used Cayman S' sold at the Colorado dealerships were not advertised as CPO anyway. Therefore my search went nationwide. Had it been a different time of year and I could have driven the car back (variable nationwide weather conditions for a RWD car) and not been looking during the holidays (would have been toast at home had I disrupted 2 weeks of Christmas and New Year's plans to go see a car) I would have flown somewhere with a cashier’s check and driven it home...

SO...when I found my particular car I got a few more pictures from the dealer and we did a FaceTime walk around of the car, inside and out. I then went through my phone contact list looking for anyone I knew that was local and realized that my buddy's son was in college close by the dealership and he went and evaluated the condition for me...he sent a ton of detailed pictures and we talked it over real-time too...pictures of a scratch here or a scratch there...I ultimately used that to get another $1,000 knocked off the price. Now I have to be okay with the condition…sent him a Christmas present (Steamboat Springs, CO sweatshirt).

As for the mechanical condition of the car I am putting a lot of faith in the CPO and PDK. I did review the Car Fax and because I noted the car was only titled by the Napleton dealership was lead to believe that any work whatsoever that was done to the car would have been reported and not done under the radar. Of course a Porsche dealership would be ethical at least (fingers crossed). I did not bother with a PPI or DME...maybe I should have...maybe I wanted the car too bad...maybe I'm praying it’s okay...maybe the CPO and PDK made me feel more comfortable...I don't know but it’s done and I'm excited...it’s all going to be okay – sometimes you just have to believe!

Hope that's somewhat helpful...Monday can't get here soon enough...unless we get some serious pow-pow this weekend and I can bust the powder skis out...that will calm me down a bit...

Salem

Reactions: Mike R.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts