Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought her about a month ago but have not yet posted any pictures. The first things I did when I got her was to have the front license plate holes repaired. I have attached pictures of the results below. Also, I ordered a 3M clear bra and FVD Spacers 7mm/15mm. I have never had so much fun with a vehicle. The wife has now given me the ' Ok, at some point we have to stop buying things for the car" speech so I assume I am officially a Cayman owner.

:beer:

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Congratulations, and I hope that you've warned your wife that it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to stop buying stuff for this car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I knew a guy at a company that makes the epoxy floor coating. He had a batch that was off-spec. The color was not right so he had about 15 gallons of it that I mixed up and rolled down with a big roller. There is a company I found that has the very same type stuff. Pricey but well worth it I feel. The floor is so easy to clean, and the garage does not have that 'garage odor' after putting it down.

Epoxy Paint | Epoxy Floor Coating | Epoxy | Kits/Systems

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks! I knew a guy at a company that makes the epoxy floor coating. He had a batch that was off-spec. The color was not right so he had about 15 gallons of it that I mixed up and rolled down with a big roller. There is a company I found that has the very same type stuff. Pricey but well worth it I feel. The floor is so easy to clean, and the garage does not have that 'garage odor' after putting it down.

Epoxy Paint | Epoxy Floor Coating | Epoxy | Kits/Systems
Thanks for that! Looks awesome!!!!! Does your have flake/chip in it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The paint appears to have a rather course metallic to it but I don't think it is flake. I have only seen the meteor gray on this car so I can't compare. I didn't realize that there were varying levels of flake. Very interesting.

I read a post before regarding the timelessness of these cars and the debate and I have to say that I truly feel this car will be a true classic. I live in Greenville SC and there are few of these on the roads. I have had people talk to me at red lights about how much they admire the car and I have met some of the nicest people by owning this car. I have men much older than myself stop and say hello to discuss Porsches when I may have never had an opportunity to speak to them before. It's been an overall very nice experience owning this car thus far.

So cheers to everyone here with impeccable tastes in vehicles.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The paint appears to have a rather course metallic to it but I don't think it is flake. I have only seen the meteor gray on this car so I can't compare. I didn't realize that there were varying levels of flake. Very interesting.

I read a post before regarding the timelessness of these cars and the debate and I have to say that I truly feel this car will be a true classic. I live in Greenville SC and there are few of these on the roads. I have had people talk to me at red lights about how much they admire the car and I have met some of the nicest people by owning this car. I have men much older than myself stop and say hello to discuss Porsches when I may have never had an opportunity to speak to them before. It's been an overall very nice experience owning this car thus far.

So cheers to everyone here with impeccable tastes in vehicles.
Congrats on the new car!

I just picked up my new to me '07 Cayman (Arctic Silver) a few weeks ago. I live in Simpsonville and work in Greenville. I'm sure I'll see you on the road at some point. :cheers:

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Congrats. Fixing the holes was a good idea.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of pictures of the FVD 7/15 spacers installed. I should have taken before pictures but was too impatient I suppose. It turned out really well and gives the car a really nice stance. Friends have commented that it looks like much wider tires are on the car.

As for the clear bra I ordered it from clearmask.com. I ordered the econo kit which essentially covers every area that would conceivably get damaged from rocks and debris. I think it was $360 delivered for the kit. Very nice quality and if you have a little determination and a hard look you can put it on yourself with very nice results.

A word to the wise: I am probably the most impatient person on the planet and if you remember I mentioned that I had the bumper holes repaired. Well knowing that kit was there, I was here, and that paint was without protection I couldn't stand it anymore. I just had to put it on. I waited 14 days after it was painted and well you are probably guessing it did not go well. As I was adjusting the placement on the bumper film piece the slip solution dried just a bit underneath and when it pulled it the paint and the film had bonded like soul mates. So... back to the touch up guy... again. Now the front in is repaired as you see in the pictures and I will wait this time for it to cure.

·
Registered
565 Posts
That sucks about the paint! I would've been cussin' up a storm. lol

I don't have the balls to try to install somethin' like that myself, though.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Congrats. Yeah I will probably see you on the road. I have only seen a white 09 around and a red 911 so far.
I went out to Chapel Hill, NC to pick up a white '09 Cayman that my dad bought while over in Afghanistan. It's just sittin' in his garage, though, until he gets home. Every now-and-then I'll probably take it out for a little drive around town to keep everything up on it. So I guess there will be two white '09 Caymans in the area. The other day I saw a red Cayman on the way home from work. I was told by the sales manager at the Harley dealership that there is another silver Cayman around also. He said it was doin' donuts in the parking lot and thought it was me. I told him my wife was with me the day that happened, and she would beat my azz if I was doin' that with her in the car. lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow that may have been you. It was a few weeks ago on the exit ramp on Haywood road. That's funny he bought that while in Afghan. I just got home from a year in Iraq and treated myself as well.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Wow that may have been you. It was a few weeks ago on the exit ramp on Haywood road. That's funny he bought that while in Afghan. I just got home from a year in Iraq and treated myself as well.
If it was the white one you saw on the ramp, it wasn't me. I took his to his house when I picked it up a couple weeks ago. Hasn't moved since. I can't stop findin' reasons to drive mine, so I'm sure you'll see my Arctic Silver one at some point. :)

Are you military? My dad is retired Air Force, but he's over there working for a contractor. He's makin' some decent money and has always wanted a sports car, so he figured he'd treat himself. He's been over there for about a year and half now. His plan is do 3 years.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of the FVD 7/15 spacers installed. I should have taken before pictures but was too impatient I suppose. It turned out really well and gives the car a really nice stance. Friends have commented that it looks like much wider tires are on the car.

As for the clear bra I ordered it from clearmask.com. I ordered the econo kit which essentially covers every area that would conceivably get damaged from rocks and debris. I think it was $360 delivered for the kit. Very nice quality and if you have a little determination and a hard look you can put it on yourself with very nice results.

A word to the wise: I am probably the most impatient person on the planet and if you remember I mentioned that I had the bumper holes repaired. Well knowing that kit was there, I was here, and that paint was without protection I couldn't stand it anymore. I just had to put it on. I waited 14 days after it was painted and well you are probably guessing it did not go well. As I was adjusting the placement on the bumper film piece the slip solution dried just a bit underneath and when it pulled it the paint and the film had bonded like soul mates. So... back to the touch up guy... again. Now the front in is repaired as you see in the pictures and I will wait this time for it to cure.
Are you in the Charleston area? I have business trips there and could potentially be relocated there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.