Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, yet another new owner thread. I'm from Toronto Ontario Canada and have been looking for a Cayman since selling my Lotus Elise last year. After not finding anything locally I decided to look south of the border and ended up buying an 06 from Henessey Porsche. I'm flying to Atlanta next weekend to drive it back.
I'm planning to go through Chattahoochee National Forest and Tail of the Dragon on the way back north, should be a fun trip.

I intend to use this car as my daily driver, unlike the Lotus...

I will post pics from the trip.

Tass

·
Registered
241 Posts
Congrats and enjoy the ride, I would love to make that drive in a Cayman. I looked nationwide for my Cayman as well and hoped I would find it out-of-state in order to require a long drive home. Instead I found my car a short 40 minutes away. I enjoyed the ride home anyway.
BW

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome, I've been trying to read up on the Cayman as much as possible over the last while to prepare but considering that I'm coming from a lotus I don't imagine that there will be too many surprises :)

The trip home will be about 17 hours, looking forward to it! Hopefully the border crossing/importation goes smoothly...

Tass

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Hey guys, yet another new owner thread. I'm from Toronto Ontario Canada and have been looking for a Cayman since selling my Lotus Elise last year. After not finding anything locally I decided to look south of the border and ended up buying an 06 from Henessey Porsche. I'm flying to Atlanta next weekend to drive it back.
I'm planning to go through Chattahoochee National Forest and Tail of the Dragon on the way back north, should be a fun trip.

Tass
Welcome and congratulations, have fun on your drive home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, I've been trying to read up on the Cayman as much as possible over the last while to prepare but considering that I'm coming from a lotus I don't imagine that there will be too many surprises :)

The trip home will be about 17 hours, looking forward to it! Hopefully the border crossing/importation goes smoothly...

Tass
Congrats and have a safe trip! Im gonna do the same thing. Its way cheaper down south. What do you have to do to get it in the country?

·
Registered
882 Posts

Tass
Welcome. May I suggest you really read the owner's manual as your new ride has lots of features. Also be careful on the Tail of the Dragon. Lots of bikers speed on that road but there are pull off so you can let them by.. You will see the word "SLO" painted in yellow before the most severe curves, they are not kidding. Enjoy your new ride, Ed

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Congrats and have a safe trip! Im gonna do the same thing. Its way cheaper down south. What do you have to do to get it in the country?
Do a search here for info. regarding importation there are couple good threads, pretty easy, did it myself, some use brokers but I found it kinda easy so I handled it. When there were a ton of cars coming over when I brought mine over the first thing is to fax the VIN to the customs crossing you use to enter the country 3 days before you show up with the car so they can do a full search on the car and have it cleared on the U.S. side first, that took 10 minutes. Have all original invoices with you and you'll have to pay Customs Excise tax 6.1% plus GST 5% at the border on the Canadian side. Get in touch with Transport Canada to pay $215.00 or so for RIV to register your car. Take it to Crappy Tire for quick inspection, $65.00 or so, then a safety, then off to License Bureau to pay 8% PST and get plates.....tada.....good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's pretty much it, easy as long as you have all paperwork in order before hand. Looking forward to meeting some local people once I get the car home.

Tass

Do a search here for info. regarding importation there are couple good threads, pretty easy, did it myself, some use brokers but I found it kinda easy so I handled it. When there were a ton of cars coming over when I brought mine over the first thing is to fax the VIN to the customs crossing you use to enter the country 3 days before you show up with the car so they can do a full search on the car and have it cleared on the U.S. side first, that took 10 minutes. Have all original invoices with you and you'll have to pay Customs Excise tax 6.1% plus GST 5% at the border on the Canadian side. Get in touch with Transport Canada to pay $215.00 or so for RIV to register your car. Take it to Crappy Tire for quick inspection, $65.00 or so, then a safety, then off to License Bureau to pay 8% PST and get plates.....tada.....good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome. May I suggest you really read the owner's manual as your new ride has lots of features. Also be careful on the Tail of the Dragon. Lots of bikers speed on that road but there are pull off so you can let them by.. You will see the word "SLO" painted in yellow before the most severe curves, they are not kidding. Enjoy your new ride, Ed

I've been to the area before in my lotus and know about the bikers (I used to be one of them before growing up). I should search for a copy of the owners manual before picking the car up....

Tass

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Well done sir!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Congrats on the new car. How bout a little comparison of the Porsche to the Lotus?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.