Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating going darker on my wheels but didn't want to commit and wanted to be sure I liked the darker color if I were to get them powdercoated.

I really like how it turned out so I may end up getting them powdercoated later this year. My inspiration was Porsches Platinum Satin.

This project only required a few sets of old playing cards, 2 cans of Anthracite Grey Plati-Dip and 1 can of glossifier.

Let me know what you think!

IMG_20150405_132416731_HDR.jpg IMG_20150405_132423305_HDR.jpg IMG_20150406_084952053.jpg IMG_20150406_085343024_HDR.jpg IMG_20150406_075354531.jpg

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I've been debating going darker on my wheels but didn't want to commit and wanted to be sure I liked the darker color if I were to get them powdercoated.

I really like how it turned out so I may end up getting them powdercoated later this year. My inspiration was Porsches Platinum Satin.

This project only required a few sets of old playing cards, 2 cans of Anthracite Grey Plati-Dip and 1 can of glossifier.

Let me know what you think!

View attachment 57586 View attachment 57584 View attachment 57583 View attachment 57582 View attachment 57585
Very cool! I've been thinking of the same thing, but didn't want to jump in. That's a perfect solution.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sweet thanks for posting this. I was using photoshop to try different shades before committing but there is nothing like the real deal. Might do this myself. Any tips on the process? Perhaps mistakes to avoid?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks great man.

Keep in mind: Powder coating adds thickness to the finish. You will have issies with the centercaps. You might just want to have them painted instead. I'm speaking from experience with my old E92 M3.

·
Incurable Gearhead
964 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Let us know how it stands up over time. I'm guessing it will need to be redone after you get new tires.

Mike

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
DSC01327.jpg DSC01331.jpg

Anthracite with glossifier. They were black last year but when I had new tires installed there was some damage from the tire changing system so it was time for a change. I was able to peel the black off in one piece. For best results warm the paint in a container of warm water. It will help keep the spray droplet size small and even. Flush the nozzle after every spray interval. Work in half hour intervals and this can be done in a day. Of course good prep pays off. $15 ebay center caps sprayed to match.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Looks like you did a superb job on the plasti-dip application. I can't say I'm in love with the color against the white car, but it's a little hard to tell from the pictures. I think I'm just not a huge fan of platinum satin in general. Still, though, you did a great job.

I think I would get them painted rather than powder-coated as well. I recently did some research before I got my wheels refinished and decided to get them painted. If you were going for a super glossy finish, powder-coat might work better, but since you want a platinum satin look, paint should work just as good. You also have to consider that repairing a painted wheel with damage will be far easier than repairing a damaged powder-coated wheel. Finally, and there is a LOT of debate on this issue: some say powder-coating a wheel can reduce its strength. I think the general consensus is if it's done correctly, powder-coating won't harm a wheel, but you would need to find the right shop to do it. Paint, on the other hand, is just paint...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I wasnt in love with the dark titanium finish on my Niche Misano T61 forged wheels on my Racing Yellow CS when I bought it, either. But after 900 miles and two hand washes without touching the wheels, they still looked clean! They were filthy with brake dust and dirt, but it was not noticeable without touching. Amazing! And a beautiful thing!

·
PCA Member
191 Posts
wheels 2.png Wheels 1.PNG wheels 3.PNG
Looks great man.

Keep in mind: Powder coating adds thickness to the finish. You will have issies with the centercaps. You might just want to have them painted instead. I'm speaking from experience with my old E92 M3.
I had my wheels powder coated without issues with center cap clearance. The guys doing the powder coating should tape off that area where the center cap is inserted. IMHO the powder coating is more durable surface and easier to keep clean.

Reactions: dirtyb

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like it. I'm running the same color on my Artic Silver car. I did not use the glossifier. Did you notice much of a difference with it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
[iurl="http://www.planet-9.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57626&d=1428425129"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.planet-9.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57627&d=1428425138"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.planet-9.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57628&d=1396545392"]
[/iurl]
Looks great man.

I had my wheels powder coated without issues with center cap clearance. The guys doing the powder coating should tape off that area where the center cap is inserted. IMHO the powder coating is more durable surface and easier to keep clean.
AGREED. It is more durable. But plastic centercaps can't be powder coated, but they can be painted. That's another tradeoff. I cant tell 100%, but it looks by your pics you ran into this issue as well

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like it. I'm running the same color on my Artic Silver car. I did not use the glossifier. Did you notice much of a difference with it?
It makes a pretty significant difference. It definitely looked more matte before I hit it with the glossifier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been playing with Plastidip for a year now and I agree that dipped wheels are harder to clean. However, I love how you can try a whole bunch of colors (from neon to metallic), and it's durable if you like it and peels off easily if you don't. The only time I've been forced to peel off and reapply is when I get work done on my tires. Though very durable for everyday use, it can't stand up to the rigors of the tire mounting/balancing machine. Once it gets a little warmer, I have cans of antique gold Plastidip and glossifier ready to go!

frontqtrtopup_original.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
View attachment 57607 View attachment 57608

Anthracite with glossifier. They were black last year but when I had new tires installed there was some damage from the tire changing system so it was time for a change. I was able to peel the black off in one piece. For best results warm the paint in a container of warm water. It will help keep the spray droplet size small and even. Flush the nozzle after every spray interval. Work in half hour intervals and this can be done in a day. Of course good prep pays off. $15 ebay center caps sprayed to match.
Is that car black or AGM? Looks black to me, but often so does my AGM. I'm curious how your wheels looked when they were black. Thinking to do mine black.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need opinions on color!

There's a extremely reputable shop here in town that does powdercoating called Wheel Medic so I'm going to have them do the wheels. They color match your centercaps and they guarantee no issues with fitment, I'm deciding between gloss black and a few different shades of grey.

Gloss Black
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10177506_871774406166706_8208091007558926893_n.jpg?oh=5dce052ec6d21cb4ba48a84a3513b480&oe=55DAE00B

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/10930989_976386985705447_638399065944615635_n.jpg?oh=6ac9d1c8446197565edd36ae2ce80f5f&oe=55DB7EDC

Crystal Grey
http://www.prismaticpowders.com/uploaded/thumbnails/db_file_img_7669_1200xauto.jpg

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/uploaded/thumbnails/db_file_img_7476_1200xauto.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts