Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Antibes to Lausanne to Stuttgart?

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  gfspencer 
#1 ·
We are completing our itinerary for our factory delivery on Oct 1st. I've figured out the trip except for the last few days. For business reasons we cannot leave Antibes until Tuesday morning and need to be back in Frankfurt Friday AM for the flight back to LA.

I was thinking of making the long drive from Antibes to Lausanne and spending two nights, then on Thursday AM leave Lausanne to Stuttgart (drop the car), then train to Frankfurt where we stay the evening and leave Friday AM.

I've had some people tell me that driving in Europe is so different and everything takes a long time. Other say it's a piece of cake.

Anyone who has knowledge of this route please chime in. From Antibes to Stuttgart I can break it up and spend two nights in different cities -or- spend two nights in Lausanne with long drives on each end.

I am leaning toward 2 nights in Lausanne at Lausanne Palace and Spa. Crazy thinking??

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
That looks inviting but I think we need to go more direct given our tight schedule ;-o

Attachments

#4 ·
I would assume it is more like 15 hours once you factor in the inevitable jams here and there, toll booths, speed restrictions eg in Switzerland, and the occasional stop to admire the view. Marseille to Valence is boring autoroute and will be busy with trucks. Valence to Geneva is very scenic and, in my experience not quite as busy as the previous section. The Annecy to Geneva section is beautiful, and rarely busy thanks to the relatively expensive tolls. Once you cross into Switzerland at Bardonnex, you are in speed-camera-land, with speed limits often restricted to 100 kph (even 80 around Geneva and Lausanne). Geneva to Zurich is mostly two lanes, which slows the traffic quite a bit. Personally, I would try to find a more scenic route from Antibes to Chambéry, and take an overnight stop at Annecy (the old town is worth the visit and Lake Annecy is stunning). I would also be tempted to cross the Jura before Lausanne, via Neuchatel, into France towards Mulhouse, and then across to Konstanz, for another overnight, avoiding Zurich. You'll then have a fairly leisurely and relaxed blast to Stuttgart on the third morning.

Big difference between European and US driving is on autoroutes: in Europe, don't overtake (pass) on the right. Oh, and if you do venture off on to smaller roads, and in small towns and villages in France and Switzerland, "priorité à droite" still exists and can catch you out.

Which ever route you take, I'm sure you'll love it.

#6 ·
Thanks for taking the time to explain this, makes a lot more sense stopping in Annecy and Konstance. I think your route sounds great and perhaps I can take the Old Napoleon route from Antibes and get over to Annecy, I'll need to research that. Originally I wanted to take Napoleon but that day of driving felt long enough, if going to Annecy it might make more sense.

All great info!

Reactions: adew
#5 ·
Driving in Europe is easy if you know what you are doing and where you are going. Take some time before you go and study European road signs. European road signs are quite logical but they are different from signs in the US. (For example, German road signs do not rely so much on direction. You won't see "Autobahn 4E North". Instead they tell you the next major city. They will point you toward the next major city on your route. In the smaller villages there is a yellow diamond symbol for "priority road" or "main road". That symbol comes in handy when you are driving through very old towns.) Road Signs Europe Roadsigns European Traffic Signs/Signals | IdeaMerge

The costal roads around Nice and Marseille can be crowded. There is a possibility that you won't make good time on those roads. It just depends. (I personally don't like to drive a car/ride a motorcycle in France. That's just me.)

Most German spa hotels have "textil-frei" days. It basically means "clothing free". So if you see a sign that says "textil-frei" be prepared. Europeans take a very casual "view" of nudity. (I just got back from three weeks in Greece. We spent a lot of time on the beaches. There were quite a few naked sunbathers. No big deal there.)

#7 · (Edited)
Driving in Europe is easy if you know what you are doing and where you are going. Take some time before you go and study European road signs. European road signs are quite logical but they are different from signs in the US. (For example, German road signs do not rely so much on direction. You won't see "Autobahn 4E North". Instead they tell you the next major city. They will point you toward the next major city on your route. In the smaller villages there is a yellow diamond symbol for "priority road" or "main road". That symbol comes in handy when you are driving through very old towns.) Road Signs Europe Roadsigns European Traffic Signs/Signals | IdeaMerge

The costal roads around Nice and Marseille can be crowded. There is a possibility that you won't make good time on those roads. It just depends. (I personally don't like to drive a car/ride a motorcycle in France. That's just me.)

Most German spa hotels have "textil-frei" days. It basically means "clothing free". So if you see a sign that says "textil-frei" be prepared. Europeans take a very casual "view" of nudity. (I just got back from three weeks in Greece. We spent a lot of time on the beaches. There were quite a few naked sunbathers. No big deal there.)
I ordered the European Nav so hopefully I won't have to rely on signs much however I do plan on studying them. We are going from Lake Maggiore to Antibes in one day and on a Saturday. I am prepared for the coast to look like Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu on a Sunday, I figured that much. We like to get up early and likely will take off very early in the AM, probably putting us smack in the traffic on the coast. Oh well, fortunately I ordered the adaptive cruise (which I also have on my CS and I love it for stop and go traffic on long drives.). Once we get to Antibes we have three nights in a suite overlooking the ocean at the Cap D'Antibes Beach Hotel, that should erase any traffic stress!!

Not really concerned with Textil days, it may even be better than looking at the huge guy in the extra small speedo!:crazy:

Reactions: gfspencer
#10 ·
Euros give tickets that are $$$$. Watch the Swiss they are the worst. There are also camera speed traps around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Would that also be true for the Autobahn when I am doing 160-mph?:taunt:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.