Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Does anybody else started having 2nd thoughts about the GT4?

• Nah, still blown away by the GT4

Votes: 45 46.9%
  • Nah, didn't see it a better 981 from the beginning

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Yeah, I started realizing it's a different 981 but not for me

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • Yeah, but I'm loving the GT4 more now

Votes: 8 8.3%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was blown away with the revealed technical details and new looks (except the side scoops) of the GT4 in the commercial along with the superb exhaust roar. I truly felt that the GT4 is the best 981 and I'd buy one if I'm shopping for a 981.

Now after the emotional impact began to subside, I truly believe the GT4 is NOT for everybody. And if I was a 981 GTS owner, I'd be satisfied with what I have. And if I am now shopping for a 981, honestly I'd pick a GTS without thinking twice.

Does anybody else started having 2nd thoughts about the GT4?

PS Strangely, I don't feel the same about the 991 GTS vs the GT3. I'd still pick the GT3 over the Carrera.

Reactions: jjzebra and Damonki

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think the GT4 was built to fill a void - a track focussed version of the 981. Looks like they hit that target spot-on but I wouldn't expect the car to be for everyone.

For me, with a base car, I like to have a halo-type 981 to aspire to someday.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
My life changed when my wife decided she only wanted 1 car..Prior to that I was thinking about a GTS and I was #2 on the list for the GT4..now this meant I would have to buy a 2nd car for myself if I was going to keep a 2 seater..Well a week ago I bought a 2015 991S..this is it for me for a while!!!! and this may be the last new Porsche I ever buy again..
Porsche aint cheap!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think a lot of people are underestimating how stiff of a ride the GT4 will have.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I just want a Boxster GT. Basically the GTS with 375HP the way God intended.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sportwagen, Please, what can u tell me about your BGB conversion? I'm toying with the idea for my very low mileage 2014 Cayman S. One possible issue, it does not have the PTV option. Not trying to Hijack this thread. .. PM me if u prefer.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think my issues with it come down to cost and scope.

It seems to be more of a track car than a street car. That's cool, but there are faster and cheaper track cars out there, and higher powered, faster street cars without the compromises of the GT4. For 90k, there is such a large amount of options out there, you need to want a high powered mid engined car to justify it.

A super expensive, 1 of 500, track car is not also what many would consider practical.

With that said the GT4 is rare and cool and i would love to own ones. So I guess I am still drinking the Porsche Kool-aid

A 3.8 liter S or gts with all options and colors would be ideal. I also think the Cayman gearing is still too long and needs to be shortened regardless of engine.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Borscht is cheap. I used to keep confusing the two.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
How did you finally beet it?

Reactions: speeddeacon

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
@classj I totally agree with you about the gearing..being a tad down on power is one thing but the gearing was way to long..I noticed that when I sold my 997S but was so in love with everything else about the Cayman..now in the 991S this is no an issue but trust me,the price is..I was thinking about a Cayman GTS or GT4..gts would have been about 88k and the gt4 would have been 94ish..out of the blue,I picked up a low optioned 991S MSRP 110k and got it for 102k..I do need the back seats now,so the 981 came off the table..prices have really gone up these days

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
If I am in a market for a Cayman I would pick the GT4 without hesitation. However, with a history of owning a Triumph Spitfire, MGB, Miata, ... you can pretty much say I am a hardcore two seat convertible guy so it's a no go. If I ever decide to get a GT coupe it would be 911GTS or C4S and if a racer then GT3.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Sportwagen, Please, what can u tell me about your BGB conversion? I'm toying with the idea for my very low mileage 2014 Cayman S. One possible issue, it does not have the PTV option. Not trying to Hijack this thread. .. PM me if u prefer.
Check your inbox for my PM...
:cheers:

·
Registered
209 Posts
it is a personal preference, same as the NA 991 series (even thought u have the turbos there that are faster than the GT3),

i first wanted a mid engine porsche and i got it, now i might want a Porsche GT car in the future, so the GT4 it is, Porsche, based on its heritage, shine in the GT track trims, other trims are more sports cars than track cars, so u want to try Porsche take on actual track cars go GT, u want a porsche road car go other trims.

the DD classification criteria really differs from person to person, it varies greatly with the weather, roads conditions, job, and family size, so even normal trims can't fit daily drives criteria for some people, other people took 981 and stiffened them up and lowered then long before the GT4 came along and they kept using them as daily drives.

the bottom line is, it is good to have the choice.

a 3.8L factory no GT trim will have a market for sure, my worries that it will not fit with the current pricing structure as it might push the GT4 upward. and keep in mind more power will come with the refresh next year, so the issue might solve itself.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
IF the right GTS is offered and at a good price, easier with a trade in deal, I would buy it. Otherwise I'm holding out for a GT4.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
There are only two things that would cause me to reconsider my purchase of a GT4: 1.) If the upcoming road tests and first impressions of the car indicate that the ride quality is very compromised due to stiffness and/or ground clearance. 2.) if we learn that PAG has more potent variants of the 981 coming to market soon that would diminish interest in this model.

On the first point, I spoke with someone this week who spent time recently with some of the folks in the Motorsports division. They told him the GT4 is a car that is very streetable. On the second point, that's a risk with any new model.

We are all speculating about this car because our information has been very limited. Much will be clarified after the first road tests are done

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I have no doubt the GT4 is going to be one of those special cars like a GT3. Lots of buzz at cars and coffee, lots of compliments at a PCA event. When I ordered my GTS I honestly thought the GT4 was 18 months out, but now that it's only been 6 months and it's being ordered already, I am a little miffed. For another $10k I could have got lots of things I dream about (3.8L engine, GT3 brakes and suspension, forged wheels) I don't care too much for the aero kit but that's part of the image for a GT car in the Porsche lineup. Still, maybe in a couple of years I can get a slightly loved GT4 and my slightly loved GTS will still be worth a little something as a tradein...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts