Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here although I've been reading the posts for a while.

I ordered my BS with 6MT, PASM, PTV, sport seats+, conv. pkg., Porsche Design SW...
about two months ago. My build is about to lock soon so I'm trying to see if there
is anything left that I will regret later if I don't include it now.

One item that came to mind was the SC package. I never thought about it since I'm
getting a 6MT, and I didn't want to adjust my driving habits by remembering not to
blip the throttle in downshifts (what the SC package is supposed to do). However,
knowing that it can be switched off and having it around even if I don't use it
may also not be bad thing. Another thing I don't know is what the Sport+ button is
supposed to do in a 6MT. Does it just make the throttle response highly non-linear,
like 20% depression on the pedal giving you 80% throttle opening?

My question to the 6MT owners here is whether you have any regrets not ordering SC,
or you regret to have ordered it and think that it is a waste of money.

Any inputs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No regrets for me. I'd rather do my own heel and toe all the time. I love the progress I have made in the few months. very rewarding.

·
Registered
575 Posts
This is my first post here although I've been reading the posts for a while.

I ordered my BS with 6MT, PASM, PTV, sport seats+, conv. pkg., Porsche Design SW...
about two months ago. My build is about to lock soon so I'm trying to see if there
is anything left that I will regret later if I don't include it now.

One item that came to mind was the SC package. I never thought about it since I'm
getting a 6MT, and I didn't want to adjust my driving habits by remembering not to
blip the throttle in downshifts (what the SC package is supposed to do). However,
knowing that it can be switched off and having it around even if I don't use it
may also not be bad thing. Another thing I don't know is what the Sport+ button is
supposed to do in a 6MT. Does it just make the throttle response highly non-linear,
like 20% depression on the pedal giving you 80% throttle opening?

My question to the 6MT owners here is whether you have any regrets not ordering SC,
or you regret to have ordered it and think that it is a waste of money.

Any inputs?

Thanks.
No regrets, not once. Sometimes I think the clock is cool looking, other times I think it looks like a wart.

I am sure the auto blip is neat in an oh gee wiz I just saved 0.002 seconds around that corner sort of way, BUT, I get more satisfaction out of heel-toe. If I could disable the hill hold I would do so in a minute. Electronic features that make me have to re-learn how to drive stick are frankly annoying.

Even without SC the throttle response changes between sport and normal modes are significant enough that a few seconds are needed to recalibrate my feet when switching. No big deal, but a little annoying. When backing out of a inclined parking spot after a restart, a few times I have been caught in a whats wrong moment when I forgot to press the sport button.

The clock in the middle is really for decorative purposes considering there is a digital display. I have driven cars with and without. I had a panamera S for a week with it. Never looked over at it once.

I am sure there is some benefit to the dynamic engine mounts. Not noticeable for me on the street.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you don't get SC you just have sport mode. If you get SC you get that and Sport plus mode. I have 6mt like you and also without sport chrono. Sport mode will make exhaust louder and more pops and throttle more responsive. Sport plus mode I believe does more of that AND causes rev matching to be automated. I missed that for a few months. Was like hmm would be nice not to have to worry about rev match when doing AX or such. That said I just leaned to rev match myself a lot better in the last year. Now I miss it maybe for just resale. Heh. And maybe to see if sport plus makes exhaust sound better. But at that price I'd just sell or take off my PSE and do aftermarket.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Firstly, the clock is very nice. I'm not sure if your thoughts on it looking like a wart are just from pictures, but in reality, I quite like it.

Secondly... I like the rev matching a lot more than I thought I would. I have no idea if the novelty will wear off, and there's definitely something to be said for the fact that I'm in the break-in period and therefore doing a lot more unnecessary shifting than I normally would, but I really like it. Even just the noise it produces makes me smile. :)

So that's that. You probably won't regret it if you don't get it... but you'll almost certainly enjoy it if you do.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a CGTS and the SC comes standard. When I was considering a Cayman S, I didn't put it in my build. I felt at the time that I didn't need it. And believe me, you don't. Now that I have it, I like it and use it's features. However, if I was still considering the S instead of a GTS, I would probably pass. Now, if you have $$$ to burn definitely go for it!

Reactions: speeddeacon

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
There was at least one thread around two years ago that discussed SC in depth, and my recollection is that the consensus opinion was that SC was a must option for PDK but a waste of money for a MT.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Didn't order it and don't miss it at all, but I don't have PASM, PSE or track the car. I enjoy rev matching and heel toeing myself, that's why I want a MT, so not really interested in auto rev matching 99% of the time. Now if I were to track the car a lot, the lap timer could be fun and rev matching might be easier on the clutch than I am under that stress. I have no idea if the dynamic transmission mounts do anything significant.

Like fast1 says, consensus says it's a must with PDK. I would go a bit further and say I think it would be worth considering on 6mt if both PASM and PSE are spec'd due to the synergy, but not worth the money with only one or the other, to me at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've had 2 981 CS MT's one with and one without. I take pride in being able to heel-doe double d-clutch down shift. I have to admit i love the rev matching . Not a deal breaker but if you have your choice get the SC for the rev matching. The clock is a joke! carl

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have SC. I love it for the rev matching. The rest of the SC stuff is not so wonderful.

I've had 2 981 CS MT's one with and one without. I take pride in being able to heel-doe double d-clutch down shift. I have to admit i love the rev matching . Not a deal breaker but if you have your choice get the SC for the rev matching. The clock is a joke! carl

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If one has a 6sp manual the biggest compelling reason to get it it, in my opinion, is if you intend to track the beast. Failing that for the perceived value it may add when selling the car. I have it. Do I use rev matching? No. Ok, couple times to see what the fuss was about. I enjoy the art of using a manual, so rev matching on my behalf? Pass. Would be awesome if I tracked. I don't track. Do I appreciate the harder transmission damping and more direct steering when sports+ is engaged? Doubtful. There's no way I can drive my car hard enough off the track to appreciate it without winding up in jail. Do I lament the decision to option it? No. Would I miss it if it my car didn't have it? No. Would I option it again? Perhaps, but only for resale value, and that's iffy. However, if I had a PDK most of these answers would be different. Mileage vary ....

Reactions: rjpeaks

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you don't get SC you just have sport mode. If you get SC you get that and Sport plus mode. I have 6mt like you and also without sport chrono. Sport mode will make exhaust louder and more pops and throttle more responsive. Sport plus mode I believe does more of that AND causes rev matching to be automated. I missed that for a few months. Was like hmm would be nice not to have to worry about rev match when doing AX or such. That said I just leaned to rev match myself a lot better in the last year. Now I miss it maybe for just resale. Heh. And maybe to see if sport plus makes exhaust sound better. But at that price I'd just sell or take off my PSE and do aftermarket.

I think the only rev-match benefit for me would be on autocross courses because a smooth heal/toe to 1st gear at speed can be difficult. I do have rev-matching on my Stingray but prefer doing the H/T myself. I will try the Stingray's rev match at an AX this spring to see if it helps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I also ordered a GTS and would not have optioned for it otherwise. I have used the excuse that my feet are too large to heel-toe (size 12-13 US) so I haven't really tried, but I still love rev-matching and find it much easier to do on the Cayman than on my previous car, a VW GTI. I think the NA engine has something to do with it (more predictable).

I also don't like how they tied rev-matching to Sport+ because it also turns down the driver aids. I would think if you're confident enough to turn the driver aids down that much, you would want to shift your own gears. The GT4 got it right. One button (Sport) to control rev-matching (although I don't know why they called that Sport) and separate buttons for traction and stability controls.

One thing I do like (nerdy and cheesy) is the G-Force meter. However that's not nearly enough to get me to spent that kind of money.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't have it on my caymen but recently drove a boxster with it. I always blip the throttle before downshift but rev matching was way cool. Not only that but the throttle response was better in sport+ mode. I would drop PTV and get SC instead.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Sport Chrono was the first option I jettisoned when I trimmed down my option list to pay for the BGB 3.8L conversion. I initially wanted SC solely for the sharper throttle response. Then I found out it forced the automatic rev-matching feature on you, too, which I didn't want.

Now that I've had my car for a little while, I'm very glad I didn't get it. Even without Sport Chrono, you get two throttle response modes, and after living with it for a while, I find the feature too gimmicky for my taste. A third mode would not add to my enjoyment of the car.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Then I found out it forced the automatic rev-matching feature on you, too, which I didn't want.
Words for the wise -- one can disable rev matching in sport+ mode by disabling PSM. Just sayin'.

Reactions: mcomet

·
Registered
992 Posts
Words for the wise -- one can disable rev matching in sport+ mode by disabling PSM. Just sayin'.
Wow I did not know this. Makes a lot of sense tho.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts