Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First post on the forum.

I currently have 964 but am considering moving to a 718 Cayman. Anyone here made such a move? If yes, any regrets or are you happy?

I have driven the base 718 and its plenty fast enough. I like it, but there are pros and cons. Pro 718 is better all year useability, better performance, better handling, modern features, safety, much lower running costs (if depreciation is excluded). Cons are high depreciation (the 964 will likely hold its value or increase), less steering feel, less character. Also wondering how the electronics in the 718 will handle the test of time (e.g. A 996 navigation system looks horrid these days). While the 964 sounds great, the 718 is not too bad with the sports exhaust. So not a dealbreaker for me.

Having difficulties making up my mind, so looking for reflections from those who have taken the leap.

·
Registered
108 Posts
welcome to the forums. I don't come from classic's like 964's but from your post it appears whatever you end up buying you plan to keep for a really long time. Have you tried the 981 platform ? No major depreciation hit with a 981 , mature unlike 718 which just launched this year . Also turbo cars are inherently a pain to maintain past 50k miles .. (carbon buildup, intake vales cleaning, misfires and what not). I will take a new 718 S in a heart beat but financially may make sense to get a depreciated 981 now and upgrade to a 718 after couple of years..good luck

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
You are not going to find many people that have come from one of those cars to a 718. I would bet zero world wide. I have a 2014 Boxster S (981) and a 2018 Carrera 4 (991.2) so I may be able to help a bit.

I love them both but they are TOTALLY different cars. The engine is in a different spot which dramatically impacts handling (but only near the car's limits). If you are not going to push the cars, then you wont notice the rear end weight bias of the 911.

The 981 (and 718 but I have not driven one) handles like it is on rails. I love it. The 911 is fantastic entering turns but not as good as the mid-engine cars, however, coming out of turns, the 911 rules. You can plant all that rear engine weight on the rear wheels and hammer the car.

The 911 is the Porsche icon with all the history and nostalgia.

That said, other more practical differences. 2 seats in the 718 vs four seats in the 911 (back seats are really only good for small people).

The 718 is going to give you a very modern interior over your 964 with a pretty good PCM.

If you want a drivers car, get the 718. If you want prestige, and 2+2 seats, keep your 911. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post for me here too but had to jump in re drivers car .
I have owned and loved 964s and currently have a 981 Boxster S which i also love .
I would say the 964 is more the drivers car , in that it requires more from you and rewards skillful inputs
From the driver . It has a more visceral feedback . Add great build quality and no depreciation and its
Hard to rationalise letting your 964 go .

It was hard for me but i swopped for a mint 981 still under warranty , that is a great all round Porsche ,
Still drives like one although a little muted , but offers comfort , safety , reliability and all mod cons .

I still had money left to buy a 944 for old school drivind , but thats another story .

Hope that helps although not a 718

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have owned 3 993's and I didn't sell mine to buy a 718. The 718 is a lot quicker but has a different feel that only you can decide if you like better. Personally I would keep my 964 and get a 718.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I currently own a '17 718s. I have owned two mid '80s 911 Carreras and a '90 Carrera 2. I autocrossed all three cars. I can see the argument that the 964s are more driver involved, but the 718 is capable of much higher cornering speeds and the modern 718s engine is a lot more powerful than the old Carreras and Carrera 2s.Comparing a 718s to an old carrera 2( In terms of performance) is like comparing a 69 911t to a Carrera 2. Sorry for being so blunt.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I currently own a '17 718s. I have owned two mid '80s 911 Carreras and a '90 Carrera 2. I autocrossed all three cars. I can see the argument that the 964s are more driver involved, but the 718 is capable of much higher cornering speeds and the modern 718s engine is a lot more powerful than the old Carreras and Carrera 2s.Comparing a 718s to an old carrera 2( In terms of performance) is like comparing a 69 911t to a Carrera 2. Sorry for being so blunt.
I agree that comparing a 718 to a 30+ year old 911 in terms of performance is ridiculous, but speed isn't everything. I have yet to find a current 993 owner, I sold my 993 in 2007, who is interested in a 991, much less than a 718. Although the 993 doesn't feel fast now, it's still a joy to drive. It has great steering, great brakes, and a wonderfully balanced package. The 993 is a relic from a time when Porsche didn't cut corners anywhere. All it takes is to hear one thunk of its doors to understand that this is one of the most finely crafted cars of all time. Of course, building cars like this cost Porsche a fortune and nearly drove it into bankruptcy , so it began cost cutting more heavily on the 993's successor, the 996.

So even though a 993 hasn't been built in 20 years, they still command a hefty price and not too many owners are willing to part with them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I understand your solid door theory, but the interiors in the 991 and 718 models are light years ahead of 70,80, and 90's 911s. I am not saying that old 911s aren't fun to drive, but I could get really tired of driving an old 911 or 964 on a long, multi-day trip, especially in hot or cold weather. They're noisy at cruising speed and the radios ( especially blaupundk and becker ) really suck. I have been there and done that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.