Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any Caymans are being assembled in Zuffenhausen, or are all Caymans still being assembled in Osnabruck??

I know that Boxsters have been coming from Osnabruck and are also made in Zuffenhausen (at least when I visited the factory in late 2013.

My curiosity comes from a late Jan build date for a GTS.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Osanbruck? Zuffenhausen? It doesn't make any difference to me.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Cayman's are made in Osanbruck.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
They moved most the production of 981 from their old factory in Stuttgart to other locations since mid to late 2013. Think it's due to higher demand or that they wanted it made in Stuttgart initially for marketing and sonce its a new model. You can still get your car made there by chance...not sure if you can request it though...think dealers are allocated slots and don't get any in Stuttgart...maybe check a larger dealer or doe European delivery.

Honesty, end of the day it doesn't matter as long as it's made in Germany. The parts are all the same and a lot of them are from Asia anyways. Watch a video of the old Stuttgart plant...it's actually pretty old tech and stuff is kinda put together by hand by probably poorly paid workers. Mine was made there and it's kind of neat thing on an emotional level...nothing else.

VW moved North America production to Mexico...Porche better not do that. I think cayenne and Macan maybe doing thay along side he audi suv platforms they share.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea..
Osnabruck is better than Finland where my '07 was assembled ?? probably not, my '07 assembly was spot on and has worn well since delivery!

so, just wondering... I'm surely not going to refuse delivery if made in Osnabruck!!

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
If we're talking historically, then there have definitely been 981 Cayman's built at Stuttgart. When they came out in 2014, they were all built in Osnabrück and there were no z-options available. At some point, they started building them at Stuttgart and those options opened up. Now... whether any are being built there at any given time is a bit of a mystery. If z-options are available and you want to increase your chances of a Stuttgart built for whatever irrational reasons you might have, then add a bunch of them in. That may get you what you want.

FWIW, up until October of this year there had been no evidence whatsoever of any discernible differences, besides the 11th digit of the VIN, between cars built at either plant. As of October, however, when I found out that MY car was built at Stuttgart, it has been generally agreed that the Osnabrück cars are spiritually inferior. :hilarious:

Reactions: subshooter

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Wild W.
Not to pop your bubble, but Boxsters have always been/mostly built in Zuffenhausen -- nothing new on that point. I did the factory tour in late 2013 and saw Boxsters right in line with Carreras .....
The news was that some Boxsters have recently been (also) built in Osnabruck. I was just wondering if there was anything to the rumor that "Caymans" were also being assembled in Zuffenhausen.
for the good news, the "soul" of all the Boxsters, Caymans and Carreras, e.g. the motors are made in the Zuffenhausen motorwerks. this also confirmed by the tour leaders at the factory.
Either way, we have/will have a totally awesome ride!

Don

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Yea..
Osnabruck is better than Finland where my '07 was assembled ?? probably not, my '07 assembly was spot on and has worn well since delivery!

so, just wondering... I'm surely not going to refuse delivery if made in Osnabruck!!
I had a Boxster S that was assembled in Finland. Never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Hey Wild W.
Not to pop your bubble, but Boxsters have always been/mostly built in Zuffenhausen -- nothing new on that point.
D&D: What you missed is that ALL GTS production was initially at Osnabrück so every expectation was that my car (and every other GTS) would be built there. That's what made it a surprise. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
VW moved North America production to Mexico...Porche better not do that. I think cayenne and Macan maybe doing thay along side he audi suv platforms they share.
Really? When did they close the Chattanooga plant?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts