Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of adding 7mm spacers front and back. Other than lightning my wallet a bit, are there any downsides? Methinks a 7mm change shouldn't impact suspension geometry a whole lot, and should add a slightly better look.
I worry that 15mm spacers on the rear might toss up a lot of dirt and rocks...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Only one is you chew up (lots of stone chips) on the inside rolled bit of your fenders more - Especially if you track the car.

Thinking of adding 7mm spacers front and back. Other than lightning my wallet a bit, are there any downsides? Methinks a 7mm change shouldn't impact suspension geometry a whole lot, and should add a slightly better look.
I worry that 15mm spacers on the rear might toss up a lot of dirt and rocks...

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
you may notice a slight understeer depending on how sensitive you are to changes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Earlier this year I add 7MM front and 15MM rear to my '06 CS. It seems/looks about right.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've always used the 7/15mm and had nothing but success. You will like the look.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To those of you who have added these spacers, did you have to do any re-align to keep the handling closer to neutral?

I'm considering adding spacers when I put new tires on as I would have to get a full re-align anyway and am curious what results your settings have produced.

I would always like a little more on-center feel and essentially neutral handling, if not a little over-steer, but definitely not under-steer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
for looks yes ok

for performance which is why we buy sports cars fitting 15mm on the back is about the worse thing you can do, but loads here do it, hay ho..

wider rear track will increase undesteer loads and push on

just fit front 7mm spacers , sod the looks and enjoy the drive

·
Registered
5 Posts
So If 7 & 15mm spacers create a slight understeer, maybe counteract this with a bit more camber in the front to get more bite in the turn?
Yea or nay?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
mm7 all around has no rubbing issues in 987 and 981.. its better for traking and handling than 7/15mm .. i have em in stock and ready to go...7/15 is for that look though.. its on special this week.. if you ask nicely to the boys.. they will ask the owner to extend the black friday prices..

Lemon

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would think the addition of 7mm spacers front and back would have minimal effect on overall handling. Less effect than adjusting tire pressures, and certainly less effect than camber adjustments up front. It "might" reduce understeer by a tiny bit...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
mm7 all around has no rubbing issues in 987 and 981.. its better for traking and handling than 7/15mm .. i have em in stock and ready to go...7/15 is for that look though.. its on special this week.. if you ask nicely to the boys.. they will ask the owner to extend the black friday prices..

Lemon

Lemon, why do you say it is better at tracking and handling than 7/15?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
the 15mm gives a 30 mm total wider track in the rear. which in theory will promote understear.. but i have friends with 15mm in the rears for the track and a few people here.. they say no issues..

Lemon

·
Registered
747 Posts
I just ordered a set of the 5mm factory spacers. Im only going to use the front because i just want to match the spacing of the factory sport technos that i had on my 14 cs. They were 81/2 57ET& 10 57ET the carrera S wheels on my 15 are 8 57ET & 9 1/2 45ET.

So the rear sits the same but the front sits 7mm in . After i add 5mm spaces it will be 2mm .080" in. In general im not in love with large spacers especially for track. If anybody wants 2-5mm factory spacers and longer factory bolts contact me i had to buy the full set of 4 with bolts and wheel locks. carl

·
Incurable Gearhead
962 Posts
To those of you who have added these spacers, did you have to do any re-align to keep the handling closer to neutral?

I'm considering adding spacers when I put new tires on as I would have to get a full re-align anyway and am curious what results your settings have produced.

I would always like a little more on-center feel and essentially neutral handling, if not a little over-steer, but definitely not under-steer.
Tons of threads of about this. I think they should all be merged as new ones pop up. But anyway, I'd be willing to bet that most wouldn't feel the difference between their car with spacers (in the usual sizes like 7 & 14 mm) and without. As long as your lug bolts are appropriately sized, there's nothing to worry about and even though we aren't talking about much added width, it's a subtle visual that works.

92 Posts
Tons of threads of about this. I think they should all be merged as new ones pop up. But anyway, I'd be willing to bet that most wouldn't feel the difference between their car with spacers (in the usual sizes like 7 & 14 mm) and without. As long as your lug bolts are appropriately sized, there's nothing to worry about and even though we aren't talking about much added width, it's a subtle visual that works.
I agree, only someone who is very sensitive to the behavior of their vehicle and is pushing the limits is really going to notice such a small width adjustment - in my own experience. But it can make a fair amount of difference from a cosmetic stand point, and a MONUMENTAL difference for someone running wheels in the incorrect offset who need to make room for clearance because their wheels are grinding on other suspension components - which I know all to well from past experiences :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts